2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reaper, giving VSTs to MIDI
Tolek
Jan 19 2009, 10:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good evening,
I downloaded a few free VSTs and imported a MIDI file into Reaper. Then I associated some VST to some tracks: keys to the voice and bass to bass. However, they were out of tune. The MIDI file is correct, but the VST play at another pitch.

Help please. smile.gif

Good night,
Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 20 2009, 12:44 PM
Instructor
What VST instruments are you using mate?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 20 2009, 12:44 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 03:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Mainly these:
http://www.dskmusic.com/blog/?page_id=3

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 20 2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Something wrong with the VST settings?

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 03:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don´t know... How should they be set?

To be exact, I use this bass VST and this keys VST.

Here´s how it sounds before and after passing through Reaper.

Before: Attached File  End_of_Summertime.mid ( 5.87K ) Number of downloads: 137

After: Attached File  end_of_summertime.mp3 ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 207

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2009, 06:14 PM
Moderation Policy Director
It's not actually out of tune, it just sounds it!

Have you added the bass yet? Try changing some of the sounds around - I can;t put my finger on why it sounds that way but I think it is because the bass is missing or quiet.

Part of the problem as well is that the melody has a very deep bass component to it which is also confusing. The accompaniament relies on polychords which sound a little wierd without the bass.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Oops! I forgot to add the bass actually. biggrin.gif I´ll fix it now.

It will take some time to decode your answer. biggrin.gif

Ok, fixed.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  end_of_summertime.mp3 ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 184

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2009, 07:07 PM
Sounds worse wink.gif The bass is definitely out! Let me give this a quick try ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 07:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, I hope you can find a solution. laugh.gif Thank you! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2009, 07:25 PM
Ok, I just threw this together - sounds ok, the tune is a bit wierdly out but everything else is in tune. The only thing I did was to raise the bass and tune tracks by 1 octave.

I also attached the Reaper file for you to have a look at (though you wan;t be able to play it as you don;t have the same plugins as I do).

Hope this helps!

EDIT : couldn;t upload the reper file as it was - change Sum.wav to Sum.rpp!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sum.mp3 ( 660.92K ) Number of downloads: 192
Attached File  Sum.wav ( 818.42K ) Number of downloads: 95

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 07:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, thank you, Andrew! smile.gif How can I change the ending to .rpp?

Did you change the melody? huh.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Jan 20 2009, 07:33 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2009, 07:32 PM
Nope - that's how it came out - I didn't change anything in the midi apart from the pitch of a couple of the tracks.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 07:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Strange...
In case you haven´t seen my edit: "How can I change the ending to .rpp?"
I´ll try to fix the melody.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2009, 07:37 PM
Dowload the trtack as a wav file then just rename it to sun.rpp then you can open it in reaper.

I had another look and saw a lot of MIDI controllers in the file - you might want to delete these as they could be confusing your VST instruments.

On each track, double click it in repaer to open the midi editor then change the view to event list (on the View Menu). At the top of the list you will see lots of things marked "CC" - these are midi control messages and you are better off deleting the ones right at the beginning of the file - this could help.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 20 2009, 07:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I deleted the CCs, but it´s still awful. And I have troubles renaming it. I just click on the file 2 times and rename it to "sum.rpp", but the .wav ending is still there, so that Reaper can´t open it.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 20 2009, 09:23 PM
That's windows trying to protect you from yourself wink.gif There is an option in folder options that allows you to turn off hiding of known extensions or something like that. If you can;t figure it out, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you that way!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jan 21 2009, 12:03 AM
GMC:er
I sort of have a similar question to Tolek's.

I have been able to get the addictive drums demo working within Reaper, but when I go to download the same Bass Vst as Tolek mentioned here, I can't get it to work. The only thing that comes with the download is a .dll file, which I copy and paste to the PLUGINS folder withing Reaper, as I did with the Addictive drums .dll file.

But when I go through the same steps to get the Bass Vst, I can't find it in this screen (this is where I normally go to put in the drum VST

I also wasn't sure If I should start a new thread, or just add to this one.

thanks!

-Chris

Attached File(s)
Attached File  screenshot.bmp ( 3.75MB ) Number of downloads: 155

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 21 2009, 01:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
Andrew, I'm currently at school, so I can't check it out. When I'll be back at home after music school at about 6 pm, I'll try to change it. Thanks for the tip!

Ctodd, you have to add the .dll file into the FX folder which is in the plugins folder.

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jan 22 2009, 12:01 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jan 21 2009, 07:09 AM) *
Ctodd, you have to add the .dll file into the FX folder which is in the plugins folder.

Sweet!

I don't know why I didn't know to do that.

thanks alot!

-Chris

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 22 2009, 06:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Jan 22 2009, 12:01 AM) *
Sweet!

I don't know why I didn't know to do that.

thanks alot!

-Chris

No problem. biggrin.gif I´m here to help.

Andrew, I´ll send a PM to you. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:03 AM