2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Your Biggest Fear
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 18 2011, 01:33 PM
Instructor
What's your biggest fear? Music or non-music related?

Mine would be mediocrity - not being able to leave anything beautiful after I'm gone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 18 2011, 01:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
The two things I fear the most are losing my girl, and failure.

The reason I play for 11 1/2-12 hours a day is because I am afraid of failure. Sometimes I want it so bad my body aches from all the anxiety.

I practice so much because I don't want to be like my idols. I want to SURPASS them. Every single one. Some people were shocked to find out that I was so determined, but really, it is just the art of self-loathing that keeps me going. I hate myself for not being able to play their music or play better than them all. So, in order to get over the last of my teenage emotions. I feel that I have to get over this hump. I think it will tone down a bit when I finally master "Altitudes", but I doubt it.

I don't remember where, but someone somewhere mentioned that guitar wasn't mastery of the instrument or the craft, but rather, a mastery of yourself. Yeah, they were right. The way my mind is, it looks like this is going to be one helluva long journey. I'll be damned if anything, even my bad health is going to hold me back.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 18 2011, 02:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Musically I don't have any fears, but I guess I would be afraid of dying before I got every piece of music out of my head, although I think thats exactly how I'm going to die, I will think of the ultimate riff.

Then die laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Dec 18 2011, 02:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 18 2011, 01:18 PM) *
Musically I don't have any fears, but I guess I would be afraid of dying before I got every piece of music out of my head, although I think thats exactly how I'm going to die, I will think of the ultimate riff.

Then die laugh.gif

+1 for badassery

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 18 2011, 04:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Right now I would say getting out into the world on my own. I am 20 and still living with my parents. There will come a time when I will need to fly away from the nest. That is my biggest fear at the moment.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 18 2011, 04:32 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hmm, I thought about this a lot this whole day and came to the conclusion, that right now I don't have a biggest fear besides getting really sick (which most likely is a very common fear).
I was really afraid of many things a couple of years ago, losing my girlfriend, losing my job, not being able to perform well in my job, being joblees, being broke etc...
I don't have these fears anymore, I don't know where they went, but they are gone. Ever since my Ex broke up with me it seems like all pressure is gone and my mindset has shifted. If I should lose my job, I'd find another (the couple of weeks where I was actually looking for a better job and got many good job offers clearly showed me I am valuable). And so on...
Brandon, you don't need to be afraid of leaving the nest...it is a great experience and will make you grow as a person.

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 18 2011, 06:21 PM
Instructor
NOTHING ...just kidding, biggrin.gif

Actually I'm afraid of mediocrity as well, in the same sense you mention, to not be able to create genuinely from my heart or whatever

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 18 2011, 08:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Dec 18 2011, 03:32 PM) *
Hmm, I thought about this a lot this whole day and came to the conclusion, that right now I don't have a biggest fear besides getting really sick (which most likely is a very common fear).
I was really afraid of many things a couple of years ago, losing my girlfriend, losing my job, not being able to perform well in my job, being joblees, being broke etc...
I don't have these fears anymore, I don't know where they went, but they are gone. Ever since my Ex broke up with me it seems like all pressure is gone and my mindset has shifted. If I should lose my job, I'd find another (the couple of weeks where I was actually looking for a better job and got many good job offers clearly showed me I am valuable). And so on...
Brandon, you don't need to be afraid of leaving the nest...it is a great experience and will make you grow as a person.

Christian

I can perfectly understand what you mean about being sick...I just got out of bed for the v-chat sad.gif I got an awful flu and everything hurts laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 18 2011, 08:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 18 2011, 09:33 AM) *
What's your biggest fear? Music or non-music related?

Mine would be mediocrity - not being able to leave anything beautiful after I'm gone.

Same here, keeping evolving my music compositions and playing is one of my biggest goals. However I must say that you've already done lots of amazing stuff. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 18 2011, 11:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 18 2011, 07:42 PM) *
Same here, keeping evolving my music compositions and playing is one of my biggest goals. However I must say that you've already done lots of amazing stuff. wink.gif

Thank you mate! But I feel I have much more inside, so ... could this be regarded more as a nice beginning? biggrin.gif

Out of what I am seeing, Cirse is a big name in Argentina so, you are doing just fine with your endeavor Mr. Leopardi wink.gif am I right?

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 19 2011, 12:14 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think the last thing you should fear is your own ability to write from the heart. I think in worrying about that, all you really do is blur your vision, you can never totally obscure it.

Aside from intentionally investing yourself in writing something that specifically you do not want to do (or something similar) every musician by nature, will put something of him or herself into whatever they play. Its our nature, its our art - we don't know anything else other than expressing what we feel, think, see and dream about.

This actually reminds me of a quote by Ian McEwan

"There are these rare moments when musicians together touch something sweeter than they've ever found before in rehearsals or performance, beyond the merely collaborative or technically proficient, when their expression becomes as easy and graceful as friendship or love. This is when they give us a glimpse of what we might be, of our best selves, and of an impossible world in which you give everything to others, but lose nothing of yourself."

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 19 2011, 10:26 AM
Instructor
I think my greatest fear would be never achieving the things that I know I'm capable of.. and dying in regret. I guess that comes under 'failure' as well.. I think we all share that common fear.

But fear is our body talking to us.. some fear is self generated and just does nothing but suck away your confidence and power. Other fears though, are there to show you when you're onto something.. if you're afraid to do something it's because you know that you're going to be putting yourself through the fire, in a situation that you previously wouldn't be brave enough to try.. so that's the reason why you should do it, because you'll get to the other side a wiser and more enlightened person. Even if it doesn't go according to plan, the lessons learned through doing it were what you were meant to gain. All this stuff is the 'gold' that gives us our wisdom.

Sorry for turning it into a philisophical post.. I just didn't want to post a negative without counter-acting it with a positive at the end smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 19 2011, 10:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 19 2011, 09:26 AM) *
I think my greatest fear would be never achieving the things that I know I'm capable of.. and dying in regret. I guess that comes under 'failure' as well.. I think we all share that common fear.

But fear is our body talking to us.. some fear is self generated and just does nothing but suck away your confidence and power. Other fears though, are there to show you when you're onto something.. if you're afraid to do something it's because you know that you're going to be putting yourself through the fire, in a situation that you previously wouldn't be brave enough to try.. so that's the reason why you should do it, because you'll get to the other side a wiser and more enlightened person. Even if it doesn't go according to plan, the lessons learned through doing it were what you were meant to gain. All this stuff is the 'gold' that gives us our wisdom.

Sorry for turning it into a philisophical post.. I just didn't want to post a negative without counter-acting it with a positive at the end smile.gif

By all means! Ben smile.gif Turning it into a philosophical post can only do a lot of good and inspire people to act accordingly! I am happy that you share a lot of my principles and speak that out loud biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 19 2011, 12:54 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm afraid Metallica will steal my songs too

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 19 2011, 12:55 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 19 2011, 12:54 PM) *
I'm afraid Metallica will steal my songs too

biggrin.gif

Wouldn't that be great, you could then sue them!! (And you and Mudbone could travel around the world)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 19 2011, 02:10 PM
Instructor
My biggest fear is when I open the fridge - there will be no more chocolate left for today! ohmy.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 19 2011, 02:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 18 2011, 07:22 PM) *
Thank you mate! But I feel I have much more inside, so ... could this be regarded more as a nice beginning? biggrin.gif

Out of what I am seeing, Cirse is a big name in Argentina so, you are doing just fine with your endeavor Mr. Leopardi wink.gif am I right?

yeah! A nice beginning is a good way to call it and to continue the hard work! smile.gif Thanks man, Cirse is going great but I'm sure that this is also a nice beginning. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 19 2011, 02:29 PM
Instructor
"My greatest fear is sitting in front of thousands of people while my Google search history is being read aloud."

My fear is nothing compared to this laugh.gif !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 19 2011, 09:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 19 2011, 01:29 PM) *
"My greatest fear is sitting in front of thousands of people while my Google search history is being read aloud."

My fear is nothing compared to this laugh.gif !!!

Haha.. yeah.. some of my recent ones and memorable ones include..

'... hydraulic log splitters..'
'...can TB be transmitted through meat..'
'...is Bruce Willis gay..'

Random.. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Dec 19 2011, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 21 2011, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
My biggest fear, my biggest fear is waking up one day, and found out i am blind/def/paraplegic/useless.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:54 AM