Zen Breath
Ben Higgins
Sep 26 2012, 09:12 AM
Instructor
It's time for another Zen story.. so grab your tea or coffee and enter the monastery smile.gif

'..before an assembled group of monks. The teacher asked,

"What's the most important thing in life ?"
"Food," said one.
"Work," said another
"The pursuit of truth," said a third.

The teacher signalled for a monk to step forward.
Grabbing the monk's head, he dunked it in a tub of water and held it down until the monk came up gasping for breath.

The assembly got the message: We can live for days without food, years without work, or a lifetime without truth, but we cannot go more than minutes without a breath.'

Taken from Zen 24/7 by Philip Toshio Sudo.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 26 2012, 06:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 26 2012, 08:12 AM) *
It's time for another Zen story.. so grab your tea or coffee and enter the monastery smile.gif

'..before an assembled group of monks. The teacher asked,

"What's the most important thing in life ?"
"Food," said one.
"Work," said another
"The pursuit of truth," said a third.

The teacher signalled for a monk to step forward.
Grabbing the monk's head, he dunked it in a tub of water and held it down until the monk came up gasping for breath.

The assembly got the message: We can live for days without food, years without work, or a lifetime without truth, but we cannot go more than minutes without a breath.'

Taken from Zen 24/7 by Philip Toshio Sudo.

I have Zen Guitar. Maybe I should start looking into his other publications.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Sep 27 2012, 09:00 AM
This is a great example !

Actually if we could manage our breathing - the example with head under water - shows too that we dont have to breath that much as we do !

The art is to find out our breathing balance at first step to become calm from inside -

hmm Ben you always surprise me in a good way

learning playing Guitar is like doing Material Art

when i try to make some records for Gmc i breath uncontrolled - i am a bit nervous then - things going out of the line and timing

rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif feels a bit like head under water !

Why not start a thread with Art of Breathing?

Dieter

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 27 2012, 09:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Sep 27 2012, 09:00 AM) *
when i try to make some records for Gmc i breath uncontrolled - i am a bit nervous then - things going out of the line and timing

I know the feeling. I also get it occasionally when I feel like I haven't had enough guitar practise.. this tense knot in your stomach ! smile.gif

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Sep 26 2012, 06:23 PM) *
I have Zen Guitar. Maybe I should start looking into his other publications.

Yes I've just got these two and I really enjoy both. Zen 24/7 is much lighter in material and shorter.. it's more of a book to pick up and get something that just makes you smile smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Sep 28 2012, 01:36 AM
Have you looked into the teachings of Confucius at all? I think you might like some of the lessons that he wrote.

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 28 2012, 09:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Sep 28 2012, 01:36 AM) *
Have you looked into the teachings of Confucius at all? I think you might like some of the lessons that he wrote.

I haven't. I probably should as I've heard him referenced so many times. I always used to think he was some Greek dude because of the sound of the name so was surprised to learn he was Chinese smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:28 PM