How Would You Pick This Lick?, Picking pattern for high speed?
SirJamsalot
Apr 1 2012, 04:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm learning this pattern, trying to get it up to speed - because of the number of beats in this pattern, it is prone to rotating between inside and outside picking. I personally think it sounds best when not APing every note - the pull off sound gives it more of a fluid sound, but because of the pull-of, sometimes the B' string needs to be economy picked, and other times, inside picked. At high speeds, this constant going between the two styles might be difficult? I don't know ~ not there yet, but I'm wondering how you would pick it?

Takers?
Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Apr 1 2012, 04:25 AM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 1 2012, 04:35 AM
Instructor
I personally would do more pull offs it is easier and will sound good in this type of lick
Make sure to practice it with a metronome at a slow tempo it is very important if you want to bring it up to speed!
It will take some time. It you will rewarded in the end!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Apr 1 2012, 04:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you wanted to pick often, I would use your approach SirJamsAlot. I actually econ/inside/outside freely from all the practice I do. If you want a really great book to help you with it, look for the Musician's Institute "Ultimate Guitar Techniques" Book(20 USD). Otherwise, I can just send you the GP6 files containing all of those exercises(I made Guitar Pro files for the entire book).

With enough practice, the way you were picking that lick will simplify itself.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 1 2012, 01:01 PM
Learning Tone Master
i would try to learn it both ways
it might take a little longer but are you wanting to play the riff , or master it
is this at the end of bark at the moon

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 1 2012, 01:05 PM
Instructor
If I had to play but not with constant AP then I would play it so I was always hitting those highest notes with an upstroke and pulling them off, and then playing the B and E with a down picked mini sweep. Pretty much identical to my Power of Mini Sweeps Lessons.

The good thing is it doesn't matter how many times you want to add those high notes, the picking pattern can stay the same smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Apr 1 2012, 01:24 PM
Learning Roadie
This is a lick you will find towards the end of the solo section in Megadeth's Tornado of Souls

This is how I would approach this lick with the notes you are playing

e----10p7 (u)---------7(d)--|--10p7(u)---10p7(u)--------7(d)--|
b----------------8(d)-----------|----------------------------8(d)--------|

Basically you just repeat this pattern over and over

(u) Upstroke
(d) Downstroke
Ive split this lick into 2 bars.
In bar I,i would down pick the 8th on the B string and continue with the down pick on to the 7th on the e string (economy picking)
You can do this for the 2nd bar as well

In bar II,I personally find two consecutive upstrokes for those 2 pull offs puts you in a better position to tackle the 8th on b and 7th on the e with the method I already explained for bar I.
Initially I found 2 continuous upstrokes hard but in a matter of 10 minutes i was able to get a hold of it.
Personally,I find this pattern of picking very easy for this kind of lick.

Hope this explanation hasn't confused you.

This post has been edited by Vaidya: Apr 1 2012, 01:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 1 2012, 03:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vaidya @ Apr 1 2012, 12:24 PM) *
This is a lick you will find towards the end of the solo section in Megadeth's Tornado of Souls

(u) Upstroke
(d) Downstroke
In bar I,i would down pick the 8th on the B string and continue with the down pick on to the 7th on the e string (economy picking)

In bar II,I personally find two consecutive upstrokes for those 2 pull offs puts you in a better position to tackle the 8th on b and 7th on the e with the method I already explained for bar I.
Initially I found 2 continuous upstrokes hard but in a matter of 10 minutes i was able to get a hold of it.

Yes, this is the same approach as me smile.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 2 2012, 03:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 1 2012, 05:01 AM) *
i would try to learn it both ways
it might take a little longer but are you wanting to play the riff , or master it
is this at the end of bark at the moon

haha - right you are. I didn't want to complicate things by putting in the entire progression

^.^

QUOTE (Vaidya @ Apr 1 2012, 05:24 AM) *

(u) Upstroke
(d) Downstroke

I'll give it a rip tonight during my practice session. I spent about an hour getting used to the pattern using a similar (but not exact) picking style just to get started learning it. Will give this picking style a try.

Much appreciated everyone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 2 2012, 09:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 1 2012, 07:05 PM) *
haha - right you are. I didn't want to complicate things by putting in the entire progression

^.^

I'll give it a rip tonight during my practice session. I spent about an hour getting used to the pattern using a similar (but not exact) picking style just to get started learning it. Will give this picking style a try.

Much appreciated everyone!

Works good! I'll post a vid of the solo piece once I get it up to speed.

thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 2 2012, 05:49 PM
Instructor
I think Ben's idea is the same with the way I'd approach it too

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:49 AM