String Ringing Noise, help
peterorg54
Feb 3 2008, 12:31 AM
GMC:er
ok, so when i play my guitar, either just playing scales or song.

let's say im doing 3 notes per string scale. ( c major or whatever)

i hit low E string and then move up to A string, but at that moment E string is still ringing while i'm hitting A string,and it's not good to hear. do u guys know what i mean ?

so how do i fix this or how do i make it not to do that ?

do i palm mute it ? but it's too hard to palm mute it all time while im playing, and i don't think paul gilbert mutes it when he's playing real fast. i even tried to make my fretting weaker, so maybe it won't ring hard. but that was not it.

i dont know if anyone has this experience.

oh and let's share some advice about how to play cleaner on guitar.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 3 2008, 12:39 AM
I naturally lie the meat by my thumb on the above strings when I play, it usually is kind of a personal thing, so get a lot of input and find the one for you. smile.gif Also it takes time and experiece, no one is always perfect, its something that builds upon its self forever. So the more you play the better you get at it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by swingline: Feb 3 2008, 12:45 AM

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 3 2008, 01:18 AM
Instructor
I believe palm muting would solve your problem.
It's not like regular palm muting really,like when you're playing some tight riffs or boosted leads.
It's more like "rolling" your palm over bridge to slightly touch lower string/s you want to mute.
Quite hard to explain(specially using my poor english wink.gif ) but I hope you've got the idea. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 3 2008, 08:35 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You can also try resting your left hand fingers on E string while fretting notes on A string, just move them a little up while fretting to touch the E string and stop it from vibrating...You can stop these unwanted sounds that way or with palm muting..Later on it will come natural to you.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 3 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
There are several ways to palm mute the strings. I try to mute the higher adjacent string with the tip of the thumb (the part of the thumb just to the left of the nail) when playing faster passages. It requiers a lot of practice but it gives the tone a special kind of sound.

The ultimate goal is to use palm muting for that, and it just requiers practice that's all. Play everything muted and try to mute it, and in some time it will mute by itself

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Feb 3 2008, 04:24 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Feb 3 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm with Muris on this one, if I understood him correctly
The sort of rolling palm muting, meaning for example when you play the low E theres no palm muting, the when you move to the A string you palm mute the E string, and when you move to the D string you palm mute the A and The E string and so on...

I used to have these problems too and that was the solution I came up with

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
peterorg54
Feb 4 2008, 06:29 AM
I will just practice and practice =]

thanks for helping

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Jun 26 2008, 02:51 PM
I have a similar prob...I guess I post a new topic.because somehow nobody comes around here anymore..

This post has been edited by Nighthawk: Jun 26 2008, 03:04 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 26 2008, 03:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (swingline @ Feb 3 2008, 01:39 AM) *
I naturally lie...

You pathological liar! tongue.gif

On topic though, as I said in another thread:

Try and narrow the problem down yourself, play the lick slowly and see what causes the "ringing". You've clearly already done this. The next step should be to try and play it with different fingerings (e.g. without the barring) and see what works. Slow practice will make perfect, and will allow you to work properly on whatever mistakes you may have found in your playing.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jun 26 2008, 03:39 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:11 PM