6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Gmc Metallica Style Collab, Cael's Tune
Phil66
Mar 30 2019, 10:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank you Gene, it is really inspiring when someone notices improvements, I still think I'm as crap as I was four years ago, I guess we don't see our own improvements.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Mar 30 2019, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
Usually we don't. Go back and listen to something you posted 4 years ago and then listen to your second take.

You'll hear it. I promise.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 30 2019, 11:48 PM
Thanks buddy, it means a lot wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 31 2019, 03:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
That was awesome, Phil! Niiiiice! I like it a lot!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 31 2019, 07:51 AM
Thanks Ben,glad you like it, I wasn't sure and now I hope the real take I do can capture the same feel, sometimes the first takes is the best.
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2019, 05:31 PM
Nice! Sounds like the neck pickup? Works well for this and the tone is good as well. I can quite a bit of improvement from your takes a few years ago. Find one of your collab takes from when you started doing them here at GMC I think you'll hear it too smile.gif Your vibrato is much more refined and your note choice is much more deliberate.

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 30 2019, 04:25 PM) *
Would something like this be okay Gab? I'm just using Em pentatonic, not following the chords, that's something I'm just learning wink.gif

There's a terrible bend halfway through part one, I'd been playing a hard tail and switched to a floyd, my fingers weren't ready for the extra movement and my ears heard it when it was too late laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/metallica-part-1-rough-take-1

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/metallica-part-2-rough-take-1

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 31 2019, 05:44 PM
Thanks Todd. It's my Ibby RG1570 neck pickup in part 1 and bridge in part 2 with the treble rolled off halfway wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 31 2019, 06:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 30 2019, 05:25 PM) *
Would something like this be okay Gab? I'm just using Em pentatonic, not following the chords, that's something I'm just learning wink.gif

There's a terrible bend halfway through part one, I'd been playing a hard tail and switched to a floyd, my fingers weren't ready for the extra movement and my ears heard it when it was too late laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/metallica-part-1-rough-take-1

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/metallica-part-2-rough-take-1

Hi Phil!! Thanks for your takes mate!! Except by that bend/note at 00:32 (first take), everything sounds good! I like the phrases and note choices.

The second solo is cool, but it would be interesting to hear a new take in a few days after practicing it, and trying to make it sound groovier and more dynamic.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 31 2019, 06:58 PM
Thanks Gab,

Yes, that bend is embarrassing ohmy.gif blink.gif laugh.gif I didn't have time to do another take though and as it was experimental I posted the take for feedback.

I'll definitely give them both some practise, how do I make #2 sound "groovier"?

thanks

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Apr 1 2019, 06:55 PM
Practicing a bit on Section 1. Less notes. More space. On to section two.

Playing without a pick cause I was lazy and couldn't find one close by, so the attack is thicker. Bias 2 Amp free trial vst.

Slightly Different mix

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met4b

Original Mix. I took out some reverb and dropped the track volume.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met4a

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Apr 1 2019, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 2 2019, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 31 2019, 02:58 PM) *
I'll definitely give them both some practise, how do I make #2 sound "groovier"?

Phil

Practising it more, to make the rhythm more natural and more connected with the backing track groove. Close your eyes, follow the groove with your body and play the solo. Keep on moving your right hand up and down even when you are not playing. Find which are the notes that sound better accentuated, use different dynamics.

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Apr 1 2019, 02:55 PM) *
Practicing a bit on Section 1. Less notes. More space. On to section two.

Playing without a pick cause I was lazy and couldn't find one close by, so the attack is thicker. Bias 2 Amp free trial vst.

Slightly Different mix

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met4b

Original Mix. I took out some reverb and dropped the track volume.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met4a

Hi Gene! Nice job here! I think that both mixes can work for this one. You can share with me both processed versions so I can try them in the mix and decide which one fits better with the other takes that we receive.

Your playing is good here, I like the tone that you get with your fingers. Well done mate!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Apr 2 2019, 03:06 AM
I decided on a different take. But can provide the files for the other ones if you think they fit better. I went simpler for the section.

Here is the audio. I'll get the video up before the deadline. (Just have to figure what I played in the second part now that I changed it)

**Edit : I decided to combined the two takes using the first part of one and the second of the other. I deleted the the ones that were posted here originally rather than post again. Anyway, sorry for all the posts. Just working thru stuff. Let me know if you want the filtered reverb on the second half removed. I left it in as it didn't seem to mix too bad with the first section.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met6f

Guitar Only.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met6fguitponly

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Apr 2 2019, 03:26 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2019, 01:02 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 1 2019, 11:41 PM) *
Practising it more, to make the rhythm more natural and more connected with the backing track groove. Close your eyes, follow the groove with your body and play the solo. Keep on moving your right hand up and down even when you are not playing. Find which are the notes that sound better accentuated, use different dynamics.

Thanks Gab,

I guess it's like everything, get to know the backing, internalise it so you can feel it.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 2 2019, 08:30 PM
Trying to explore more of the neck but staying within pentatonic, (comfort zone wink.gif )

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/metallica-part-1-rough-take-2

Still trying to get comfortable with part 2 huh.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 2 2019, 08:45 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 3 2019, 03:59 AM
When doing collabs, I usually just hit record in the DAW and let the track loop 15 or 20 times. Then I go back and listen to each one of the takes. Typically a lick or two will catch my ear from each take. I'll chop it up for a rough comp and listen to that. If it works, I'll then go back and play the licks as a single take. So it sounds like I've got one good take, but it's really 20 takes that I grabbed bits from then had to go back and re record so one lick flows to the next.

Some folks really do one pass takes. That's a bit rare for me to be honest. I have to build a solo lick by lick and then get it straight in my head, ok so I'm starting with this hammer thing, then the scale thing, in to a pinch, then the blah blah blah and so on.

Getting a good take is often the result of lots and lots of bad takes that had one or two good things in them. Just like learning a song, it takes time. You gotta work through a LOT of bad before you get to the good smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 3 2019, 04:10 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 3 2019, 02:59 AM) *
When doing collabs, I usually just hit record in the DAW and let the track loop 15 or 20 times. Then I go back and listen to each one of the takes. Typically a lick or two will catch my ear from each take. I'll chop it up for a rough comp and listen to that. If it works, I'll then go back and play the licks as a single take. So it sounds like I've got one good take, but it's really 20 takes that I grabbed bits from then had to go back and re record so one lick flows to the next.

Some folks really do one pass takes. That's a bit rare for me to be honest. I have to build a solo lick by lick and then get it straight in my head, ok so I'm starting with this hammer thing, then the scale thing, in to a pinch, then the blah blah blah and so on.

Getting a good take is often the result of lots and lots of bad takes that had one or two good things in them. Just like learning a song, it takes time. You gotta work through a LOT of bad before you get to the good smile.gif

Todd

That"s pretty much what I do Todd, but, sometimes I drop lucky and get something usable in a couple of takes. Don't get me wrong, I know my parts can be vastly improved with time and effort, the effort I have bags of but not so much the time so I end up doing something down that is a three or four out of ten wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 3 2019, 04:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Apr 1 2019, 11:06 PM) *
I decided on a different take. But can provide the files for the other ones if you think they fit better. I went simpler for the section.

Here is the audio. I'll get the video up before the deadline. (Just have to figure what I played in the second part now that I changed it)

**Edit : I decided to combined the two takes using the first part of one and the second of the other. I deleted the the ones that were posted here originally rather than post again. Anyway, sorry for all the posts. Just working thru stuff. Let me know if you want the filtered reverb on the second half removed. I left it in as it didn't seem to mix too bad with the first section.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met6f

Guitar Only.

https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/met6fguitponly

Don't worry about multiple posts and takes. That's the idea of this thread! The more activity here, the more fun and the more we learn! smile.gif

I like your final take mate. It sounds very musical, and your tone fits GREAT over the backing track. Thanks a lot for joining!!

Let me know when the video is ready!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 2 2019, 04:30 PM) *
Trying to explore more of the neck but staying within pentatonic, (comfort zone wink.gif )

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/metallica-part-1-rough-take-2

Still trying to get comfortable with part 2 huh.gif

Phil

That's sounding good mate!! The only moment that I didn't like is the note at 00:27 that doesn't sound very good over the chord at the moment. I also notice that your guitar has some tuning issues when reaching the higher notes... maybe old strings?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 3 2019, 08:10 AM
Thanks Gab,

Probably old strings, it's an ibby, hate changing them on it biggrin.gif . Did you prefer the first take?

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

It's technique buddy, I've checked the high E string all the way to the 24th fret, it goes ever so slightly flat in places, no more than two lights on my TU-3 at the worst. Are you hearing flat or sharp??

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 3 2019, 09:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Apr 3 2019, 03:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Part 1

part 2

Hope you enjoyed part 3 as much as i did wink.gif

+Quote Post
GeneT95
Apr 4 2019, 02:05 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 3 2019, 03:59 AM) *
When doing collabs, I usually just hit record in the DAW and let the track loop 15 or 20 times. Then I go back and listen to each one of the takes.

Todd

Yeah. That and then listening the next morning. I feel that when I give it a rest then listen again I find things that I did not hear before. Like too much time with the headphones on dulls my sense of tone and timing.

It's just I don't always have the luxury of that type of learning, even though it is much more instructive. My wife is away for a while soon, so plan on section 2/3 next week.

QUOTE (Gabriel)
I like your final take mate. It sounds very musical, and your tone fits GREAT over the backing track. Thanks a lot for joining!!

Thanks Gab. I appreciate the comments. Now to to remember what I played in the second half for the video and get parts 2/3 done.

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Apr 4 2019, 02:19 AM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:37 AM