Jhs Colour Box Preamp
Mertay
Oct 4 2015, 10:27 PM
GMC:er

Seems I'm not the only one who liked recording gears to be used as drive tone smile.gif I actually liked this approach so much I don't use a software amp on clean setting.

This freeware can do it; http://www.voxengo.com/product/tubeamp/ I use it as first thing in the software chain, then use cab. ir.'s but sure you can insert it before your software amp too. Works fine with my (analog) tubescreamer.

Funny thing is its actually designed to be the last thing on the chain smile.gif the drive sweetens the tone and the high-cut work more for depth rather than freq. correction.

Its been a while I haven't used this but just to give a payware option; http://www.fabfilter.com/products/saturn-m...uration-plug-in

You'll get more options with this, from tube to tape and even amps, really good but again payware stuff. Have fun experimenting smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 4 2015, 10:40 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2015, 01:36 AM
Great vid and links smile.gif I

At this point, my only tubes are in my rack mount MYASNIKOV preamp. I have that in the fx loop of my 11 rack which acts as my primary recording interface. So it's quite handy. the 11 rack has a XLR input on the front and acts as a full on recording interface so I can record with the mic on the cab and use the tube preamp to sweeten the sound on it's way in to the computer. This works for vocals as well. On low gain settings, the myasnikov makes a great tube vocal preamp and has a 3 band eq. smile.gif

It was built for high gain guitar but i've found that on low gain it works as a tube preamp in the fx loop of my primary recording interface so it's only a mouse click away smile.gif

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 6 2015, 10:03 AM
When you shared the sound demo's I remember quickly noticing the existance of dynamics even with the hyper-gain settings smile.gif

One would expect super compressed sound but that doesn't happen, non-scale runs really sound musical. There is a (modified) boss bluesdriver and JHS comparison in that video, tone is really similar but its really shocking how that pedal punches dynamics where the boss is just dull when compared. But its really pricey, 400 bucks in USA smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2015, 11:34 PM
Good ears! smile.gif That's what I really dig about running the tube preamp in the fx loop. I turn OFF the preamp/amp in the 11 rack and leave the Cab ON. So the myasnikov is taking the place of the amp/head in the chain in the 11 rack.

There is a soldano amp in the 11 rack, but it just doesn't have the same dynamic range as the tube rack unit.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 6 2015, 05:03 AM) *
When you shared the sound demo's I remember quickly noticing the existance of dynamics even with the hyper-gain settings smile.gif

One would expect super compressed sound but that doesn't happen, non-scale runs really sound musical. There is a (modified) boss bluesdriver and JHS comparison in that video, tone is really similar but its really shocking how that pedal punches dynamics where the boss is just dull when compared. But its really pricey, 400 bucks in USA smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:37 PM