2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Metal Sub-genres At Gmc!, We need to re-structure our lesson archive!
sigma7
Aug 16 2008, 05:35 PM
GMC:er
all we need to figure out is which metal goes where

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 16 2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Jeroens approach makes sense to me smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 17 2008, 01:06 AM
Glad you guys like the idea. smile.gif

You might want to divide the scalar lessons as well, As I notice as an complete guitar noob that knows nothing of scales they get thrown in my face all the time while I didn't have the chance yet to study most of them (read, get the boxes inside my head and keep them there until they get into the fingers). so making several catagories with scales would work very well as well.

One of the greatetest things about GMC is that lessons can be put into several catagories. So if we would stick to the BG example you will notice that they have some very complex songs aswell. In that case you can put the song in both the epic catagory as well in the prog catagory. So I don't see any problem in that regard.

I do believe however that there might be problems into putting lessons in the catagories. If we would take Metallica for example; which catagory would they fit, Metallica is a classic metal band beyond any doubt, but they are still modern. Add to that the fact that if they didn't take ages to finish an album they would invent their sound more times than Madonna would change image.

Another difficulty could be the grey area lessons. If they would, for example, fall between rock and metal. Lesson labeling currently put it in both rock and metal. But with this new proposal the isntructor him/herself could get very confused. And believe me kids, an confused instructor, although a sight to behold, is not ideal.

This proposal I've made is just a rough sketch, and should be fleshed out more. I will be more than happy, however, to help put lessons in their corresponding catagories.

J

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Aug 17 2008, 04:48 AM
Instructor
I do think that Jeroen's idea is the most logical.

This way we arent bogged down with too many sub-genre's. The question is how from an instructor point of view can we break these down. I mean we have the tagging system now, so it would be up to an instructor to put it into a category?

What i call Power metal someone else might call Epic....Its this distinction we need to clarify.

Perfect example would be a group like Within Temptation...i say they are Goth...my friend calls it Power metal. So who is right.

I guess we can try a premlim sub-genre layout and tweak it as we go would probably be the most logical.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Aug 17 2008, 11:29 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
You are right, they are goth wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 17 2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor
I Totally agree with JeroenKole.

That's the best way to divide it up, to the point and straight forward.
I like metal and i don't even know all the sub genre's it does get confusing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 17 2008, 01:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (skennington @ Aug 15 2008, 09:05 PM) *
How bout catagorizing them by level of dificulty. beginner 1-3, intermediate 4-7,and advanced 8-10. Metal is very hard to determine unless you go from one extreme to another. ( 80's hair metal to todays deth metal ), alot of styles in between will get sort of lost in the mix.

similar to the lesson plan I know, but would give you a way of grouping the lessons. smile.gif

That sounds really good to me!, I like learning things that 1) I can play, 2) Sound good.
The sub genre of metal they belong doesn't really matter to me, as have been stated, the borders of metal are unclear. Confused and led to the dark side we might be.

Having said that, Jeroenkole's approach sounds sensible too, better have just a few well diferenciated subgenres than too many which we don't really know what they are!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 17 2008, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Aug 17 2008, 05:48 AM) *
Perfect example would be a group like Within Temptation...i say they are Goth...my friend calls it Power metal. So who is right.

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Aug 17 2008, 12:29 PM) *
You are right, they are goth wink.gif

Actually they are symphonic rock/metal. But they call themselves Gothic Rock. I hate subgenre's and I prefer the approach of like and don't like. But if I have to put them in any catagory I would put them in the epic block.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 18 2008, 12:59 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks again for the advice here - we need the techs to adjust the video lesson page slightly before we can add sub-categories. Then we will get a better structure thanks to your advice (next we will proceed to the other categories).

Good thing is - that once we have got the sub-categories, you will be able to slice them up into difficulty level by using the advanced search.

You can already do this today to the metal category - just be sure to not have the text field empty when you click advanced search.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 29 2008, 08:56 PM
GMC Founder
Ok! Thanks to your help (and especially JeroenKole!) - we have now got metal sub-genres!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-lessons.htm

We will continue the restructuring of the video lessons page in the near future to make easier to browse and [hopefully] more logic..!

Thanks again for helping us improve GMC! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 29 2008, 08:58 PM
Great Great Great smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 29 2008, 09:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 29 2008, 04:56 PM) *
Ok! Thanks to your help (and especially JeroenKole!) - we have now got metal sub-genres!

We will continue the restructuring of the video lessons page in the near future to make easier to browse and [hopefully] more logic..!

Good joob! It looks great and clearer now. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 29 2008, 09:11 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 29 2008, 10:08 PM) *
Good joob! It looks great and clearer now. smile.gif

Thanks Gabriel - your lessons are all over that section! biggrin.gif I had a blast watching them all again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 29 2008, 09:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 29 2008, 09:56 PM) *

yeah !!! that's great wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 30 2008, 01:44 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Excellent - well done Kris!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 30 2008, 01:47 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Simple & effective! Good job smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 30 2008, 02:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome ^^
No more searching forever to find what I'm looking for biggrin.gif
Not that it was bad before either, though ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Aug 30 2008, 09:47 PM
Instructor
well done mates, now it´s easier! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 30 2008, 09:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Aug 30 2008, 10:47 PM) *
well done mates, now it´s easier! biggrin.gif

Hehe, I noticed that when I go into Epic and Extreme Metal, over half of the lessons there are of Lian tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:50 AM