Strings Pt2, Oh Dear...
loundzilla
Sep 20 2009, 09:15 AM
GMC:er
Ok, so i put on some new strings last night whic went very well. I removed the old ones, cleaned up the fret board so it was all nice and shiney and put in the new strings, tuned etc all good,

BUT

I think i the strings gauge were to heavy and the tremola bar was been pulled forward way to much. I havn't left it like that thought, i've taken the strings back off and put on a lighter gauge, but the trem bar is still being pulled forward to much.

Have I stretched the springs or do you think there is more damage done? What should I do?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by loundzilla: Sep 20 2009, 09:16 AM

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Boson
Sep 20 2009, 10:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 20 2009, 10:15 AM) *
Ok, so i put on some new strings last night whic went very well. I removed the old ones, cleaned up the fret board so it was all nice and shiney and put in the new strings, tuned etc all good,

BUT

I think i the strings gauge were to heavy and the tremola bar was been pulled forward way to much. I havn't left it like that thought, i've taken the strings back off and put on a lighter gauge, but the trem bar is still being pulled forward to much.

Have I stretched the springs or do you think there is more damage done? What should I do?

Cheers

Im no expert on this but I wouldnt have thought you could have danaged the guitar, more likely you didnt fit them correctly.

I'm sure others will give you more detailed advice, I guess it would help others to give advice if you explained what type of guitar and what sort of tremolo is fitted and also what guage of strings you tried to fit.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 20 2009, 10:45 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Don't worry I'm quite sure you didn't damage anything really! That is perfectly normal. Guitars with floating bridge need to be tuned differently in order for it to stay in place.

I don't have exact experience with tuning such guitars, but other GMCers will help you I'm sure...

Also there are articles like this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gea...floyd_rose.html

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 20 2009, 10:48 AM
QUOTE (Boson @ Sep 20 2009, 10:36 AM) *
Im no expert on this but I wouldnt have thought you could have danaged the guitar, more likely you didnt fit them correctly.

I'm sure others will give you more detailed advice, I guess it would help others to give advice if you explained what type of guitar and what sort of tremolo is fitted and also what guage of strings you tried to fit.

I have an Ibanez grg170dx. I tried to fit d'addarios .011 - .050 gauge, then i took them off and put on Elixir .010 - .046.

I believe i have a fat 10 bridge and its not a locking trem (as far as i know )

I didn't over tune the guitar (going from an e winding up to the next e).

If you want more info let me know. I'm not sure what gauge strings i should be putting on btw.

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 20 2009, 11:06 AM
Hmm I'm still sure its not "damage" to guitar as you didn't do anything wrong.

Maybe you want to loose the strings, put the bridge in correct position, block your tremolo (put something solid between the block of your tremolo and wood behind it) that way immobilizing it. Once you do that, tune the strings to correct pitch.
Then remove the block. Tuning on strings will be either sharp or flat. (depending where bridge moves). You should be able to fix that by tightening or loosing screws in the back of the guitar - ones that hold the springs to guitars body in place.

I presume you didn't took any of the springs out of the guitar?
I'm not sure but I guess you can also get new springs if those in are worn out.
But doing such adjustments is a common practice (tightening springs etc).

Of course I suggest waiting for a response from some guitar players too smile.gif heheh (I'm a bass player so I know this only in theory) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 20 2009, 12:56 PM
Sounds like the balance between Strings and Springs needs adjusting!
No biggie!!!
As you've gone for lighter strings, 10's, they hold less tension than the 11's you removed. All you need to do is to screw the Claw that's connected to the springs into the body a bit and so increase the tension in the springs! Do this bit by bit, maybe a whole turn at a time on each screw, then retune. Just keep doing this until the Bridge is sitting flat again, the strings stay in tune and the whole thing is happy!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 20 2009, 01:49 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 20 2009, 12:56 PM) *
Sounds like the balance between Strings and Springs needs adjusting!
No biggie!!!
As you've gone for lighter strings, 10's, they hold less tension than the 11's you removed. All you need to do is to screw the Claw that's connected to the springs into the body a bit and so increase the tension in the springs! Do this bit by bit, maybe a whole turn at a time on each screw, then retune. Just keep doing this until the Bridge is sitting flat again, the strings stay in tune and the whole thing is happy!!! biggrin.gif

Do you mean these screws ( pic attached)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Joruus
Sep 20 2009, 01:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yeah those are the right screws smile.gif

I'm not sure how its normally setup, but both my guitars have 3 springs, and i use gauge 9's..
maybe if you add a 3rd spring it needs less changing, im not sure about that though, so first ask someone else about that! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Joruus: Sep 20 2009, 01:57 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 20 2009, 05:30 PM
bump smile.gif

what do you think guys? Shuold i tighten the screws to sort the trem bar out?

i'd like some more advise before i go ahead and try it as i'm worried about breaking my beloved axe smile.gif

Thanks for all the advise so far btw smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 20 2009, 05:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would first add another spring in the middle of the 2 that are there. Use something to wedge the bridge and hold it in place and loosen your strings. Put the spring on and then re-tune the guitar. Then if it's not sitting like it should adjust the screws on the Claw as mentioned before.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 20 2009, 05:47 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 20 2009, 06:30 PM) *
bump smile.gif

what do you think guys? Shuold i tighten the screws to sort the trem bar out?

i'd like some more advise before i go ahead and try it as i'm worried about breaking my beloved axe smile.gif

Thanks for all the advise so far btw smile.gif

It's important to understand how things function, then it's easier to find out the right adjustment to make.

Thicker strings till pull with a stronger force, this force have to be equaled in the opposite direction.
For thicker strings, add springs and/or tighten the screw that run into the body of the guitar.

I'd start by adding springs or replacing with higher gauge springs.

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 20 2009, 06:53 PM
ok, i put the extra spring on, the set up a set of 10's and teh low e string snapped when i tuned in :S.

So i then took the spring back off and put a set of 9/42s on and its all fine, the trem bar is fine. So looks like i'm going for 9/42's. Its a shame that these are really low quality strings. Going to have to go out and get me some more tomorrow. Gone through 4 sets of strings this weekend... at least i'm more clued up about strings now.

Thanks everyone for your help!

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 20 2009, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 20 2009, 07:53 PM) *
ok, i put the extra spring on, the set up a set of 10's and teh low e string snapped when i tuned in :S.

So i then took the spring back off and put a set of 9/42s on and its all fine, the trem bar is fine. So looks like i'm going for 9/42's. Its a shame that these are really low quality strings. Going to have to go out and get me some more tomorrow. Gone through 4 sets of strings this weekend... at least i'm more clued up about strings now.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Nice that you sorted it out! Its good to experiment and you should not worry so much about guitars, you have to learn to setup it and everything...Its almost impossible to "damage" it really in attempts! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vampire18
Sep 20 2009, 11:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
why not go to a luthier? maybe he can even do this on the spot, doing it yourself im not sure if you can get it exact right hight and no buzzing and stuff, sometimes its worth mroe to go to a set up guy than messing arround all day and than going to a set up guy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Sep 21 2009, 11:08 AM
You can fit ANY stringguage on your guitar (well, up to about .13-.14 anyways). The only thing to make sure it that the springs holds the strings back. don't forget to loosen the strings while tightening the spring, otherwise the strings will snap.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 21 2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys! Really has helped. Im sure in the future i wont have this issue again as i now know what to look out for smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:49 AM