2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Building Up Your Musical Personality
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 30 2011, 03:01 PM
Instructor
As all music passionate people, pro or not, we would like to have that little something, by which people recognize us, right?

I had a period when I wanted to play like Steve Vai - the bad part is, I became obsessed and I even started to look like him. Now there's a part which is even worse smile.gif I COULD NEVER PLAY LIKE STEVE VAI DOES. But I was too blinded by the idea and I was not seeing that I was walking on thin ice who was just about to crack.

Somehow, I don't exactly remember when and how, I started exploring different musical ideas which helped me widen my horizons and realize that there's more to music than being able to play like Steve Vai.

The question is: Does this idea appeal to you as being something important? If, yes, how do you work on achieving this? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 30 2011, 03:36 PM
Instructor
This is such an important topic. I think the old phrase "play from the heart" can take care of it just fine, but to get there you need also work in some personal issues about self-identity and stuff like that.

I guess you have to take the risk to be criticised and be hated by people in order to achieve this personality in your music. A lot of of people hate Steve Vai, because he's just too much out there. But a lot of people love him, for the same reason!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 30 2011, 04:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I remember when I was obsessed to play like Trond Vold here on GMC. I soon realized there were others I could imitate and that has morphed into building my own personality. I'm slowly becoming who I am and finding my own style. wink.gif I think that's what the first 3 years have been about for me.

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 30 2011, 05:41 PM
Tone Seeker
Well when I was 14 my guitar idols were Kurt Cobain and Billie-Joe Armstrong. I was practising Nirvana and Green Day songs. And really wanted to be in punk-grunge scene. Of course I tried to play Led Zeppelin, Metallica and others too.
After few years passed I chose skateboarding and kept doing that until 24 years of age I picked up guitar again. Then my idol was Kirk Hammet. Even bought his signature guitar and started to learn again Metallica solos. Of course I realised that there is much more than Hammet licks. At the same time I joined GMC (some silly website wink.gif ) to learn about guitar playing.
And here I'm now. I feel like I can play something from my mind and really achieve something If I really want to.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2011, 11:31 PM
Instructor
I agree, it's important to have an intent to create something, to do something with your life, doesn't matter if it's music of not. For me, it's music, I like playing and teaching music and other knowledge to others, I have lots of motivation from the people that say that I helped them with something, it's very important for me. As far as music goes, it was always about the blues mostly, and I think that influenced my musical personality a lot. I like blues, and consider myself a blues player before anything else, which is hard to do, specially when you are playing and singing the blues. It's just the music that I like the most you know? smile.gif Still getting there, but I think I have couple of trademarks on my name already. It would be good to create a bigger name for myself as a guitar player and musician in general, so working on that atm. Time is sure limited tho..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2011, 07:30 PM
GMC:er
GREAT THREAD! smile.gif Killer question. I have to say, YES! I really, really, really, wanted to play like Paul Gilbert from the moment I first heard SCIT SCAT WAH and other Racer X tunes. It just blew my mind. I didn't think it was real, or possible at first. It had to be fake somehow! But nope. That's him.

What I realized as I went, (as others have mentioned, and others will find out) is that you develop your "style" around the stuff you wanted learn and the stuff you like to listen to. You then add to it as your ears grow bigger and you listen to more things. Eventually, your "style" is a composite of everything you've heard/liked/embodied/tried to master. Which is why everyones style is slightly different. It takes years to develop and changes constantly, which is part of the beauty of it.

Like a sculpture that is is always getting better but is never quite finished smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 1 2011, 08:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 30 2011, 02:36 PM) *
This is such an important topic. I think the old phrase "play from the heart" can take care of it just fine, but to get there you need also work in some personal issues about self-identity and stuff like that.

Definitely agree smile.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Dec 1 2011, 08:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
All music students begin by learning someone elses' compositions. Works the same way in any trade - designing a house? You study other designs to begin to understand what is important and basics of building in a way that has proven to work. There was a time when youth would take up the career of their parents, building on their parent's knowlege - we called them apprentices - that's why we have funny last names like 'smith" - nowadays, we grow up and leave the nest for college to pursue our own "careers", etc. The proven method is to study the work of your parents to master it, then improve on it with personal taste. Likewise with music. Study and learn what others do. Then add your twist when you have mastered their creation.

Pick your musical parents - Led Zeppelin? Van Halen? Satriani? Guthrie? Learn how they build houses, then build your own using their designs biggrin.gif

My analogy for the day.

Happy birthday SirJamsalot!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
Dec 2 2011, 06:05 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Dec 1 2011, 01:56 PM) *
Happy birthday SirJamsalot!

Happy Birthday!!!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 2 2011, 10:28 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is very important. I think that both paths are the correct ones. Both are genuine and lead to the sample place. You could try to emulate someone who you admire and eventually you will find your own tone too or you could just start on your own and work your way through it. I guess it is a matter of what makes you motivated to practice. When I look at it, I never really had a specific player influence regarding actual technique and skill. I looked up to certain bands and what they did. I always had this sound/song I aspire to, its just a matter then of finding your way to it.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 3 2011, 05:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 2 2011, 09:28 AM) *
This is very important. I think that both paths are the correct ones. Both are genuine and lead to the sample place. You could try to emulate someone who you admire and eventually you will find your own tone too or you could just start on your own and work your way through it. I guess it is a matter of what makes you motivated to practice. When I look at it, I never really had a specific player influence regarding actual technique and skill. I looked up to certain bands and what they did. I always had this sound/song I aspire to, its just a matter then of finding your way to it.

That's a good approach! I for one started taking small things out of the arsenal of various musicians: violinists, sax players, sitar players and many more! The positions may be awkward at times, because the guitar was initially thought for some purposes and the sounds and specific phrases which you can usually obtain from other instruments, are pretty difficult to emulate on a guitar - but that's where the magic happens, isn't it? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 3 2011, 10:30 PM
Instructor
That's a cool aspect right there man. I always admired the tone of Miles Davis trumpet, always tried the emulate that smooth compressed round tone. This is one of the main reasons I roll off the treble on guitars often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2011, 12:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 3 2011, 09:30 PM) *
That's a cool aspect right there man. I always admired the tone of Miles Davis trumpet, always tried the emulate that smooth compressed round tone. This is one of the main reasons I roll off the treble on guitars often.

biggrin.gif Hmm, that's a good idea there tongue.gif I am usually trying to work on dynamics by mainly using my fingers and attack levels. Let's see what I can discover by using your approach!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 4 2011, 03:41 PM
Instructor
This is not really connected to dynamics, but perhaps there is some connection, not sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
crushpuppy
Dec 4 2011, 05:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have found that after playing for years that I had basic skills and knowledge like picking, chords, some scales and theory. I wrote some songs and had some sucess in bands. I was developing "My Voice" on the guitar. But I always felt like I just new enough to get around in 1 or 2 keys well and mostly in the style of Hard Rock. Then I decided to learn songs that I grew up with and loved. I learned about 40, and now I try to incorporate thoes techniques into my playing. Now that I'm in my 40's I feel I should make a major push to just get the fretboard down, really learn it, to the point where I feel comfortable playing in any key/mode I choose. Follow my heart and instincts and as my knowledge of music and the guitar expands, giving me more tools to express myself, I feel My musical voice can only grow. Very important topic! Thanks Cosmin!

This post has been edited by crushpuppy: Dec 4 2011, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2011, 06:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (crushpuppy @ Dec 4 2011, 04:40 PM) *
I have found that after playing for years that I had basic skills and knowledge like picking, chords, some scales and theory. I wrote some songs and had some sucess in bands. I was developing "My Voice" on the guitar. But I always felt like I just new enough to get around in 1 or 2 keys well and mostly in the style of Hard Rock. Then I decided to learn songs that I grew up with and loved. I learned about 40, and now I try to incorporate thoes techniques into my playing. Now that I'm in my 40's I feel I should make a major push to just get the fretboard down, really learn it, to the point where I feel comfortable playing in any key/mode I choose. Follow my heart and instincts and as my knowledge of music and the guitar expands, giving me more tools to express myself, I feel My musical voice can only grow. Very important topic! Thanks Cosmin!

smile.gif glad I could be of inspirational service smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 6 2011, 08:16 PM
Instructor
Man it's a very deep topic!!! Your musical personality is a very tough thing to develop a lot of musicians spend their whole life developing it and some got it without that much effort! I think everybody has it when every player has a unique tone in his fingers
that just need to be developed the cool thing is it doesn't have to be only tone it could be anything effect pedals, some cool tricks that nobody ever did before, unique vibrato or pitch harmonics.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 6 2011, 10:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Dec 6 2011, 07:16 PM) *
Man it's a very deep topic!!! Your musical personality is a very tough thing to develop a lot of musicians spend their whole life developing it and some got it without that much effort! I think everybody has it when every player has a unique tone in his fingers
that just need to be developed the cool thing is it doesn't have to be only tone it could be anything effect pedals, some cool tricks that nobody ever did before, unique vibrato or pitch harmonics.

True! I think we owe it to ourselves to search for everything possible in order to develop our full potential smile.gif look at Mike Einziger from Incubus - he is not a shredder but he is a truly awesome musician and guitarist who chose to develop his creative side by using pedals and writing those breathtaking songs smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2011, 01:44 AM
GMC:er
Speaking of developing musical personality. Here is a guy who has carved out a nice niche for himself and has a very unique style, all his own. He plays in Freak Kitchen, has a line of custom guitars, teaches guitar, and is an all around cool guy. Of course this applies to most of our Faculty here as well smile.gif But in this case I'm talking about Mattias Eklundh. That crazy bearded swedish guy!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 7 2011, 03:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 7 2011, 12:44 AM) *
Speaking of developing musical personality. Here is a guy who has carved out a nice niche for himself and has a very unique style, all his own. He plays in Freak Kitchen, has a line of custom guitars, teaches guitar, and is an all around cool guy. Of course this applies to most of our Faculty here as well smile.gif But in this case I'm talking about Mattias Eklundh. That crazy bearded swedish guy!

This guy is amazing!!!! I have seen his clinic and he is absolutely great and very funny!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:58 AM