2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Strings!, What dimensions y'all use on yer strings?
somecrazyguy09
Mar 29 2008, 03:53 AM
GMC:er
i use ernie ball super slinky strings which are .09. they are real easy to bend and easy to control. every once in a while if my technique starts to feel a little lazy i switch up to ernie ball regular slinky strings which are .10 and the change is very noticable. i just recently did just that and when i went to the .10's they felt very hard to bend and control and they are just .10's. after a few days i switched back and my bends and control felt great again. i once tried what you did and get .12's but it did'nt work very well for me so i just went back to my .09's. i would get used to realy like gauge strings and then occasionally move up to a slightly higher gauge for a little hand workout and then just switch back. it should give you the same effect without having to use extremely thick strings and risk getting hand cramps or injuries.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMC_student444
Mar 29 2008, 07:53 PM
Haha, Bondy! For yer sake I hope yer wife doesn't visit this forum too often. ;D

I just bought myself som Boomers .010-.046. It feels good, have to admit but damn, I'm almost pulling my high-E over the top of the neck bending! They're too light. The transition from .012 to .010 is BIG, a lot bigger than I thought it would be. But I can adjust, no prob. I will prolly go back to my .012's at times just to keep my fingers tough and my muscles trimmed though.

Faster parts of songs and exercises definetely got a lot easier with the thinner strings though so I'll stick with .010's from now on. .09's and .08's would be too thin for my liking though, I can tell without even trying.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 29 2008, 08:40 PM
Ghs Boomers, .009-.042, they sound just fine, and they never brake, not even with an axe(and I've tried).

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Harlequin
Mar 30 2008, 09:18 PM
At the moment I use D'Addario .010-.046 for Eb or standardtuning, .009-.042 are to thin for me.

--------------------
"'And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.'" - Terry Pratchett

+Quote Post
at lights end
Mar 30 2008, 09:30 PM
when i first started i used 09s. after about 2 years i switched to 10s, then 11s. had 11s for ages and got used to them, really liked them, but i began playing more and more leads with lots of bends, and my fingers got really sore. i've recently gone back to 10s and have noticed a great improvement in playing ability, and the guitar feels better to play.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:51 AM