4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Helix Native
Wyverex
Mar 8 2017, 07:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 17 2017, 01:22 PM) *
I've checked many vids, and I can say that in none of the cases I preferred the sound color of the helix. And my feeling is not related to how close it sounds to the real thing, it's because I don't like the direction that the "difference" takes.

I know what you mean. Even after having bought the Helix (while still in the 30 days money back guarantee) I continued watching comparison vids and I noticed that the Helix seems to have a distinctive lack of bass response when compared to other devices (e.g. AX8 and Kemper). This troubled me as well but what I recently found is that you can considerably improve your tone by using impulse responses instead of the built-in cab simulations. I'm mostly using a Bogner 4x12 IR from Rosen Digital and I'm very happy with it.

In the end I chose to keep the Helix especially for connectivity reasons (and I was happy numerous times already that I had all those connection options). Maybe someday the Helix isn't "good enough" for me anymore but if I ever reach that point then I count myself happy because then I've evolved considerably. And if that point doesn't come, all the better cool.gif

I couldn't agree more though that there is no "best" device per se. It's just the "best device for your needs".

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 8 2017, 11:15 PM
GMC:er
Not gear specific comment but buyers have to be super careful when they're depating over processors that can load IR's.

I mean either on computer or analog, we all have some knowledge how an amp can sound radically different with different cab.s. + add amp eq to that and you have a huge % of the tone.

So unlike what affordable processors use as cab. sim. (an eq curve you can almost "draw" even with the most simple eq plug-in), impulses are very complex. This complex curve can be good or bad but can't be the reason to pick one unit to the other as IR's can be changed even edited...

Whats left to me is the breakup and how "tube-like" this breakup sounds aside connectivity features. To be honest to me this can't be judged by youtube videos...

I guess my point is one can't buy such unit like buying his/her amp. Probably boring but the thought process to me is more like buying a computer... and judging from many comments on various forums, these processors are spoken of/argued like one computer to the other like mac vs pc biggrin.gif.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 8 2017, 11:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 10 2017, 05:32 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 8 2017, 07:56 AM) *
If I can find a used one, yeah. The prices aren't where I'd like them just yet.

Well I don't know exactly how it happened but I missed that emailed invitation to buy apparently way back in Sept or Oct. Fortunately there is good news though. There is currently no wait list for any Fractal products! I just got off of the phone with them after looking at the site and seeing no evidence of a waitlist and they have confirmed to me that all units are ready to ship. I will be ordering my unit after my credit union opens and I can transfer some funds latter this morning. Woohoo!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 11 2017, 04:13 AM
Experienced Rock Star
The FX8 price has gone down since October so your mistake saved you a couple hundred bucks smile.gif.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 11 2017, 04:35 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 10 2017, 07:13 PM) *
The FX8 price has gone down since October so your mistake saved you a couple hundred bucks smile.gif.

smile.gif I was thinking the same thing, and it would go well towards an Orange 2x12 open back cab to go with my Rockerverb head for use in smaller and indoor venues. That 4x12 cab I have is a beast but great for the outdoor venues. Soon my rig will be complete, hopefully biggrin.gif .
We will see if the FX8 is going to be versatile enough, if not, I guess I'll send it back and try an AX8 next. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 11 2017, 06:47 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The effects are superb. It's designed to be used with an amp using the 4 cable method, so it's pretty versatile. The AX8 is not however, so it's actually less versatile in that respect than the FX8.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 11 2017, 06:54 AM
That's because they ARE A COMPUTER! smile.gif Each unit is basically a little computer with one job. Process input signal and output it. That's it. Essentially, they are a plugin that has been coded/burned in to silicon chips to tell the machine how to behave. The way
each one behaves can range quite a bit. The arguments that follow do seem kind a MAC/PC in nature don't they? Good eye there smile.gif

I still hold out hope that like LINE 6, the other vendors will finally realize they are software companies and go ahead and release the plugin that they are baking on to silicon to make their products.

There will be piracy, sure, no matter what, but like LINE 6, if you can make a good plugin, there will be folks lining up to pay good money for it and if done onilne, the shipping cost is ZERO, reproduction cost is ZERO, the logistics get very cheap once you are moving bits around. So hopefully the folks @ Kemper and Axe FX will wake up and just go ahead and release the plugin that the hardware is based on. With quad core i7 computers so common these days, the horsepower is there.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 8 2017, 06:15 PM) *
Not gear specific comment but buyers have to be super careful when they're depating over processors that can load IR's.

I mean either on computer or analog, we all have some knowledge how an amp can sound radically different with different cab.s. + add amp eq to that and you have a huge % of the tone.

So unlike what affordable processors use as cab. sim. (an eq curve you can almost "draw" even with the most simple eq plug-in), impulses are very complex. This complex curve can be good or bad but can't be the reason to pick one unit to the other as IR's can be changed even edited...

Whats left to me is the breakup and how "tube-like" this breakup sounds aside connectivity features. To be honest to me this can't be judged by youtube videos...

I guess my point is one can't buy such unit like buying his/her amp. Probably boring but the thought process to me is more like buying a computer... and judging from many comments on various forums, these processors are spoken of/argued like one computer to the other like mac vs pc biggrin.gif.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 11 2017, 06:55 AM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 11 2017, 05:04 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 10 2017, 09:47 PM) *
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. The effects are superb. It's designed to be used with an amp using the 4 cable method, so it's pretty versatile. The AX8 is not however, so it's actually less versatile in that respect than the FX8.

Yeah I think it will be good too, the 4 cable method is the way I want to set it up and I can't wait to get my hands on it. If for some reason the Fx8 is not going to be enough, then I guess I would have to consider the full blown Axe-fx if the Ax8 is not as versatile as the fx8.
It sure is a lot of extra money though. It's already going to be a $5000 rig if you count the Prestige I just bought. Actually, with an additional 2x12 cab it will be closer to $6k. Good grief, yeah I hope I am happy with the Fx8. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2017, 04:31 AM
Good Lord!!! You must be having a heck of a year my man!!! Dropping 6k on Gear is quite an achievement. My first three cars together didn't cost that much money. You are certainly going to have a dream rig at the end of it to be sure!!!!!

Congrats!
Todd

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 11 2017, 12:04 PM) *
Yeah I think it will be good too, the 4 cable method is the way I want to set it up and I can't wait to get my hands on it. If for some reason the Fx8 is not going to be enough, then I guess I would have to consider the full blown Axe-fx if the Ax8 is not as versatile as the fx8.
It sure is a lot of extra money though. It's already going to be a $5000 rig if you count the Prestige I just bought. Actually, with an additional 2x12 cab it will be closer to $6k. Good grief, yeah I hope I am happy with the Fx8. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 12 2017, 04:43 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 11 2017, 04:04 PM) *

The AxeFX is certainly a lot more versatile than the AX8, but the FX8 has features, for example specialized I/O hardware, that make it even better suited for 4CM than an AxeFX. The FX8 was designed specifically for the job of providing effects in a 4CM rig and it's extraordinarily well-suited for that job.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 12 2017, 06:34 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 12 2017, 07:43 AM) *
The AxeFX is certainly a lot more versatile than the AX8, but the FX8 has features, for example specialized I/O hardware, that make it even better suited for 4CM than an AxeFX. The FX8 was designed specifically for the job of providing effects in a 4CM rig and it's extraordinarily well-suited for that job.

Music to my ears, Thanks Rammikin! cool.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 11 2017, 07:31 PM) *
Good Lord!!! You must be having a heck of a year my man!!! Dropping 6k on Gear is quite an achievement. My first three cars together didn't cost that much money. You are certainly going to have a dream rig at the end of it to be sure!!!!!

Congrats!
Todd

Yeah it's been a pretty good couple of years. The tally on musical gear continues to rise when you add the bass guitar and amp, various pedals, mics and stands and power supply's and cables I have bought in the last year or so. Oh, and the Strat I picked up last year.
I still need a new interface and some monitors. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Aug 19 2017, 05:43 AM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jan 19 2017, 08:24 PM) *

Helix Native has been released. I've been using it for a couple of days and it's quite nice.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 19 2017, 01:36 PM
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Aug 19 2017, 04:43 AM) *
Helix Native has been released. I've been using it for a couple of days and it's quite nice.

To be honest its out of my budget, will try out of curiosity but I'm going to wait a bit incase stability updates happen. Had problems with a few software in the past as the demo period finished before some performance/bug issues were solved.

How does it compare to other stuff like bias,amplitube etc. ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 19 2017, 02:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm probably going to pick this up at some point too. For Helix owners it's only $99, that's a lot for the money.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2017, 09:29 PM
Indeed! Make us a vid if you grab the plugin! No matter what anyone says, I fully believe axe fx could put out a native plugin as well if they so chose. However, I doubt they will do it which puts them at a slight disadvantage in the mass market imho as line 6 is now in the software and hardware space in a very deep way with a very nice product. Perhaps this will nudge axe fx to release a native plugin, but I do doubt it.

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 19 2017, 09:50 AM) *
I'm probably going to pick this up at some point too. For Helix owners it's only $99, that's a lot for the money.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Aug 19 2017, 10:24 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 19 2017, 12:36 PM) *
To be honest its out of my budget, will try out of curiosity but I'm going to wait a bit incase stability updates happen. Had problems with a few software in the past as the demo period finished before some performance/bug issues were solved.

How does it compare to other stuff like bias,amplitube etc. ?

It's getting rather difficult to compare modelers, but Helix seems to be in a new class among software plugins. I can easily get a rich satisfying sound with Helix and the effects are nice. One problem I'm running into that is making it difficult to do comparisons is: it's using an enormous amount of cpu. It seems to be a bug when used on OSX since Windows users aren't having this problem.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 21 2017, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 19 2017, 01:50 PM) *

Yes definitly helix owners should get this, one use on top of my mind is recording amp+cab. only then adding the reverb from the software to avoid regrets on mix phase. Then say the reverb can be adjusted perfectly and can be implemented to the hardware for live use.

If nothing else, the helix can be sold for whatever reason in the future but one will still have the software for a very attractive price smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 21 2017, 12:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2017, 06:19 PM
FREE DOWNLOAD AND 15 DAY TRIAL!!!

I'm going to grab it and give it a go smile.gif Also, mertay is spot on, one could sell their hardware unit later and still have the software plugin doing the same thing in terms of tone for home recording at a great price. Here is the link smile.gif

https://line6.com/account/login.html?user_attempt=download

and BAM it's up and running smile.gif Kinda looks like the Axe FX interface in a way.
Attached Image

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 21 2017, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Aug 22 2017, 11:32 PM
Experienced Rock Star
After trying Helix Native for a few days, I've decided not to buy it. The amp sounds are nice and the effects are decent. The user interface needs some work, but I'm sure that will be improved. But it didn't sound enough different from other amp sim plugins to my ear to make it worthwhile. And the clumsy way it handles IR's was a deal breaker. Maybe Line6 will fix that in a future update.

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Aug 23 2017, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 25 2017, 05:54 AM
Is there any way of using it live if I do not own any Line 6 HW? RIght now I can just postprocess clean recordings.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:13 PM