The Dynamite Collab, Joint Students/Instructors Video Collab
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 18 2014, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Ahoy GMC! It's time to play it down and dirty with the Dynamite Collab! That means that we want you to spill all your energy into this one! We have prepared a metal set of backings, one for the beginners and one for the more advanced players, but the whole idea here is to be as full of energy as possible - bend, slide, alternate pick, play legato or tapping, it really doesn't matter, as long as you make it explosive and noisy!

The first backing track is dedicated to beginner players and you can deploy the G minor pentatonic scale over it, while the Intermediate backing brings up the E Locrian mode, so more advanced players can have a ball as well.

Working and participating in collabs will give you the type of input you cannot achieve when practicing on your own - so even if you feel shy about this, you should give it a serious try. You will improve in unpredictable ways for certain!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKING TRACKS:

Beginner Backing: Attached File  Beginner_s_backing__G_minor_.mp3 ( 976.71K ) Number of downloads: 361

Intermediate Backing: Attached File  Intermediate_backing__E_Locrian_.mp3 ( 989.96K ) Number of downloads: 338

Full Backing: Attached File  Full_backing.mp3 ( 1.91MB ) Number of downloads: 388

This collab is based on Gabriel's lesson, which you can find here as a reference: John 5 Style Lesson

Tempo: 170 BPM

Key: G minor and F major (E Locrian)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's everything you need to know about how to enter this collaboration:

1. Download the backing track and open it in your recording software
2. Record your part in the recording software and with your video cam (if you have the possibility to record video).
You can record anything - a short fill part, rhythm based ideas, or a full lead part (solo).
3. Render one track containing your recording only - 16 bit wave file 44,1 kHz
4. Render one track containing both solo and backing track in an .mp3 format
5. Send us your video (preferably in .mp4 format)

As always, you can send us the last 3 files mentioned, using a dropbox link, or any other transfer service you are used to, by posting them in this thread or attaching them to a private message.

If you can't submit a video, you can send us only the audio files and some pictures of you - it will work out great as well!
The more pictures you send, the better will it be for editing in the final video!

When attaching/sending the collab files, please include the source file of the video as well.

Very important: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER/ ADVANCED/ PRO/ GOD - all styles, approaches and all levels are welcome and you can even play just a short fill if you feel like it!

Bringing your contribution to this track and tribute to the GMC community is what really matters!

Collab tips:

As in the previous collabs, we want this one to stand out as much as possible, because this will give your playing and progress maximum exposure. So here's what we suggest:

Making short but polished and detailed lines will always give you better results! If you focus on a short part of the backing track, then you will most likely amaze yourself and others! No explicit need to play over the full backing track length, so just pick up any amount of bars you feel most comfortable playing over, as it's always better to come up with something short but catchy or memorable and in this case, full of energy!

Check out these lessons for inspiration:

Pentatonic Licks - Beginner

Pentatonic Licks Intermediate

Combining the pentatonic with the locrian mode

Scales you could use:

G minor pentatonic

E locrian

Advanced tips:

- regardless of the fact that it's a faster paced backing set, you don't necessarily need to play speedy runs - if you interpret the notes you play in a dynamic manner and vibrato or bend a lot, creating a sense of movement, it can bringup far better results than trying to play fast when you feel uncomfortable with it.

These are just tips, so experiment having these directions in mind, as I am sure you will discover a lot of interesting possibilities!

Remember - the only thing we require is that you participate and be yourself - there are no rules, and no limits!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: December 5th

Participants: Cosmin Lupu, Gabriel Leopardi, huargo, Rhida, kiendop, Todd Simpson, Chris. S, bleez, Lexman, Gill

UPDATE : final video and instructor comments - click here

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 12 2014, 10:19 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Huargo
Nov 18 2014, 08:53 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi Cosmin!
tempo is 170... smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 18 2014, 09:26 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (huargo @ Nov 18 2014, 08:53 PM) *
Hi Cosmin!
tempo is 170... smile.gif

Well spotted - tempo updated smile.gif

Are you in? ph34r.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 19 2014, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Cosmin!

Never participated in a collab before, but I think I can at least come up with a beginner solo unsure.gif

Count me in! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 19 2014, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
Did you say METAL? I"m in!! smile.gif These make for very teachable bits! Even if I only end up doing two or three notes in the final vid smile.gif hehehe.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Thank you for the tweak Bogdan and Huargo, Chris and Todd - gentlemen! We are honoured to have you onboard!

+Quote Post
kiendop
Nov 19 2014, 09:59 AM
He Cosmin,

This one will for sure get me out of my comfortzone ohmy.gif I'll give it a try smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 19 2014, 10:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kiendop @ Nov 19 2014, 08:59 AM) *
He Cosmin,

This one will for sure get me out of my comfortzone ohmy.gif I'll give it a try smile.gif

Ooooo! Janneke! Welcomeeeee!!

+Quote Post
Rhida
Nov 19 2014, 10:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Good one with the backing for beginners.
Hopefully more people will join!

So obviously you can count me in!

And about "comfort zone", those who feel insecure to join read this excerpt from a conference with Tony Robbins and thank me later! wink.gif

Question

Tony,

You talk about the dangerous 'middle', where life is mediocre and not bad enough to build the drive to take massive action. Having hit lows before and have used your material to come out of them in the past, I'm now finding myself stuck in this 'middle ground' of mediocrity. What can I do to get out of here??

Response:

I am Tony Robbins

This is a REALLY important question!

So I'm glad to see so many people voted for it.

You're absolutely right. "Middle ground" is a place of emotional & spiritual death.

The one common denominator behind people of extraordinary performance, results and success is hunger!

What i mean by hunger is: A drive to do, be, create or give more.

I mean a sense that you will NOT settle for less than you can create and give.

Intelligence is invaluable. But there are many intelligent people who can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

There are many skilled people. But skill is not enough, since you won't use it to its maximum capability if you are not driven and hungry.

So if you find yourself in that middle ground, you have 2 choices:

1) Stay where you are, and wait for a wagon wheel to come down your rut. Life will wake your ass up at some point soon! But my guess is that you're not one of those people, or you wouldn't be asking this question.

2) The more proactive approach: get around where people are playing the game of life at a higher level, and let something hit you.

What i mean is: if you play tennis with someone who's at the same skill level as you, or you're even better than, it's easy to get comfortable, because you really don't have to grow.

But if you get in the game with somebody whose ability and skill is much greater than your own, then just to stay on the court with them is enough to raise your game. And you're going to become MORE.

One of the reasons I do live events is cuz it's easy to get comfortable when you're by yourself.

It's hard to get excited about a game you're playing alone.

But when you get with 5,000 or 10,000 people, from 50 countries, in an environment that's like a rock concert - you will become re-ignited.

And you'll meet people who won't settle. And their energy is infectious. Their hunger is infectious. Their desire for more is infectious.

Just like if someone starts yawning around you, you know what happens - there's a social contagion. The same is true for hunger, drive, achievement and passion.

Get your ass out where things are better, where you are called to be MORE of who you are.

I promise you - you won't stay in the middle ground.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 19 2014, 04:29 PM
Instructor
Very wise post Rhida. Thanks for sharing that quote, I agree with that man's thoughts and suggestions.

Welcome to everybody that is joining this collab! If you want my help during the process of creating your solo for this one, just let me know and we will start working. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 20 2014, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Welcome Rhida and thanks for posting the inspirational intervention wink.gif I am sure that there are a lot of GMC'rs who would like to try it but they are shy, maybe? C'mon guys - come up with an idea and we can start working together from there, as Gabi said - we are here to help smile.gif

+Quote Post
Huargo
Nov 20 2014, 08:34 PM
Tone Seeker
Hi i'm in too...
Thanks a lot for your work Cosmin making it this possible.
Ok I'll break the ice.
This is the way im going with this collab... now i'm playing a 150 bpm for compositing purposes...
I hope to play it in real time... hard work again smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  The_Dynamite_Collab_wip.mp3 ( 1.31MB ) Number of downloads: 219

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 21 2014, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Glad to see you join this one! The idea sounds interesting and I think it would be even nicer, if you would spend a little time polishing the lick at 0:14 which needs to sound cleaner and more rhythmic and then the not on which you finish, around 0:20 - that one should be a bit more precise in terms of pitch and maybe you could find a different note to finish on, as this one is not so strong, in terms of leading the phrases to a resolution of some sort.

What do you think, mate?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 21 2014, 05:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (huargo @ Nov 20 2014, 04:34 PM) *
Hi i'm in too...
Thanks a lot for your work Cosmin making it this possible.
Ok I'll break the ice.
This is the way im going with this collab... now i'm playing a 150 bpm for compositing purposes...
I hope to play it in real time... hard work again smile.gif

Hi Huargo! Thanks for breaking the ice on this one! Your solo sounds very good over the backing. It's not easy to make Locrian mode sound always good and you did it! The note choices are very good over the backing's riff, both when you play melodic ideas and faster stuff. As Cosmin said, there are some licks to polish on this one and I really recommend you to take the time to work on them. It's very good for our playing to isolate those licks from our own solos that have timing issue and polish them, in other words, it means to polish our own style, and that should the main goal! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Huargo
Nov 21 2014, 07:41 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 21 2014, 04:44 PM) *
Hey mate! Glad to see you join this one! The idea sounds interesting and I think it would be even nicer, if you would spend a little time polishing the lick at 0:14 which needs to sound cleaner and more rhythmic and then the not on which you finish, around 0:20 - that one should be a bit more precise in terms of pitch and maybe you could find a different note to finish on, as this one is not so strong, in terms of leading the phrases to a resolution of some sort.

What do you think, mate?

Thanks for comments Cosmin i'll take a look to those comments right now smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 21 2014, 05:12 PM) *
Hi Huargo! Thanks for breaking the ice on this one! Your solo sounds very good over the backing. It's not easy to make Locrian mode sound always good and you did it! The note choices are very good over the backing's riff, both when you play melodic ideas and faster stuff. As Cosmin said, there are some licks to polish on this one and I really recommend you to take the time to work on them. It's very good for our playing to isolate those licks from our own solos that have timing issue and polish them, in other words, it means to polish our own style, and that should the main goal! smile.gif

Thanks Gab too, sure this is our goal here. Speed in this one is very hard..... i'll play slooooowly first smile.gif

i'll do my homework this weekend smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 22 2014, 09:46 AM
Instructor
Always glad to see that our observations help you guys out wink.gif Try a new recording with the observations implemented and we'll take it from there, deal?

So, who else is in? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kiendop
Nov 22 2014, 10:10 AM
He there,

This is my little piece using the beginners track, maybe it's a bit too bleusy?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  141122_Dynamite_002part.mp3 ( 251.82K ) Number of downloads: 203

+Quote Post
Huargo
Nov 22 2014, 10:47 AM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 22 2014, 09:46 AM) *
Always glad to see that our observations help you guys out wink.gif Try a new recording with the observations implemented and we'll take it from there, deal?

So, who else is in? biggrin.gif

Hi Cosmin!
I write my solo in guitar pro to really know what should be the tricky parts.... i made little changes in the composition trying tp fix the things you said before....

can you take a look and comment? please smile.gif

QUOTE (kiendop @ Nov 22 2014, 10:10 AM) *
He there,

I like the bluesy style... i think it's not a bad thing smile.gif Welcome!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  dynamite_standar_ok.gp5 ( 8.41K ) Number of downloads: 161

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 22 2014, 03:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kiendop @ Nov 22 2014, 09:10 AM) *
He there,

Hello Janneke! First of all, congrats on your first participation in a collab! I think the lines are already shaping up nicely, but they need to be more expressive and well interpreted. What I suggest here, would be to focus on the following two aspects:

- put a little more gain into the tone
- execute a wider and more aggressive vibrato
- take care on reashing the intended pitches when you bend

Let's see the lines you recorded with the suggestions above, implemented - deal?

+Quote Post
Gill
Nov 22 2014, 08:53 PM
https://soundcloud.com/motorcitygill/colab-221114-2038/s-kRP5x

this is just a try out, never used icloud before, i did a quick recording over the beginners backing track
and i don't really know what's a collab so... biggrin.gif

test one two test

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:16 AM