Triads
SlyRy
Aug 27 2011, 02:40 PM
GMC:er
Is a triad any 3 notes, out of a scale, played simultaenously? Or are there other requirements (must include root etc)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Ben Higgins
Aug 27 2011, 06:51 PM
Instructor
Hey there ! smile.gif In it's strict musical term, a triad is a series of notes that is stacked in 3rds and they would form (in order of the lowest note) the Root, the 3rd and the 5th. These are the basis of all chords.

However some people use the term to embrace any 3 notes, regardless of the intervals between them (I tend to do that as well) but strictly speaking, it's the former definition.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 27 2011, 07:06 PM
Instructor
Yeah, triad represents a series of notes, 3 stacked third intervals. Most easy way I remembered it is that you practically take every second note in a scale.

Triad indeed needs a root, but any of the notes within a scale can be that root note. This is how modes are being made as well. You can also say that every note builds a mode, and every mode (by using first, third and fifth note from a mode) builds a chord.

Another important characteristics of triads is that they appear in 3 different keys. It may seem like an irrelevant thing at first, but it's one of the essential rules for improvising and tonal changes.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SlyRy
Aug 27 2011, 08:32 PM
GMC:er
thanks dudes

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:01 AM