What Works Fo You?
shredmandan
Aug 7 2007, 04:20 AM
GMC:er
Hello GMC
I'm interested to know what types of strings you use and why.I have been a Ernie Ball guy most of my life, but just a few days ago i bought some strings that were in a big box discounted.They were Dean Markley strings endorced by Yngwie Malmsteen.They are very light 8-46 but man do i love them.They are so easy to play on and only cost me $3.00 .The only down side to them is since there such a light gauge they loose there sound quick.I really like to change my strings every 2 weeks anyway so it doesnt effect me.These strings are perfect for me as i love shred and lead.

Shredmandan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Pavel
Aug 7 2007, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Nice to know you like them because i have 6 packs of strings for my new 7-string on the way and i was not sure if i should by them at all. Well now i know they are not bad!

I always play on D'Addario 9-42

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 7 2007, 02:10 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I use 010-046 (011 is ok too but I rather 010)

The respond well to bending with enough resistance.

009 and thinner is too light for my taste and I always tear off the thin E string (too often already when restringing)

012 and above is a bit too heavy, too much tension, difficult to bend etc.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 7 2007, 02:20 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Dean Markley 9-42 for my Ibanez, Higher Tunings.

Dean Markley 13-56 for my Washburn, Lower Tunings.

Great sound, and they last me a long time.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Aug 7 2007, 02:20 PM

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 10 2007, 05:21 AM
Elixir 9's

I like them because they are low tension and bend easily but stand up to heavier picking quite well (although not as well as some others)... and the protective coating which makes them last insanely long is just icing on the cake.

I like Blue Steel as well but they seem to be much higher tension to me and harder to bend and trem.

An inexpensive alternative is the Ernie Ball Slinkys... they seem to be very low tension to me as well but need changing like every week or so mad.gif

- Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 10 2007, 05:28 AM
i use ernie ball super slinky (9-42 i think) but the last time i was changing my strings one of just broke for no reason. so i might start using D'Adarrdio 9-42 same type of thing

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 10 2007, 05:31 AM
Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky.. great for my Jacksons because jacksons have a shorter neck.. gives a much more metal sound. For my Schecters i use Elixers. btw the beefy slinkies are 11-56 biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 10 2007, 05:35 AM
I tryed the elixer strings when they first came out and were very popular.I didnt like them because the coatingmade them much thicker filling and uncomfortable but they do greatly improve the life of string.I guess it's a give and take thing. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 10 2007, 05:40 AM
Actually I usually like 10's so I like the extra coating thickness on the 9's. I get best of both worlds. Fatter feeling but still real bendy.

Oh, and I have had DOZENS of slinky strings just up and break on me while restringing OR playing. It finally took one almost getting me in the eye before I finally switched to what I perceive as better quality.

- Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 10 2007, 05:44 AM
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Aug 10 2007, 12:40 AM) *
Actually I usually like 10's so I like the extra coating thickness on the 9's. I get best of both worlds. Fatter feeling but still real bendy.
Oh, and I have had DOZENS of slinky strings just up and break on me while restringing OR playing. It finally took one almost getting me in the eye before I finally switched to what I perceive as better quality.
- Hardtail

laugh.gif Dont poke your eye out.
Yeah i used to have that problem with always breaking the bottom string when i would use any gauge under 10 but for some reason it hasent happened to me in a long time. smile.gif You know it really has been almost 8 years since i last tryed the elixer strings.I might give them another shot,i would just have to get a 9or8 gauge.

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 10 2007, 05:47 AM
also like when im playing alot the strings literally "shed" like a dog laugh.gif and it gets all over my fretboard

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 10 2007, 05:51 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Aug 10 2007, 12:47 AM) *
also like when im playing alot the strings literally "shed" like a dog laugh.gif and it gets all over my fretboard

I've had them even split at the saddle before.Youknow i looked at an article once that said Stevie Ray Vaughn used to put soider on his strings right here they touch at the ball and that it made them stronger and gave better sustain.It was in a guitar world or something and i wish i still had that article.

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 10 2007, 05:52 AM
o ya and once i was playing and then i bent a note and it snapped in 2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:19 PM