1. About the Lesson
  2. The Lesson
  3. Harmonic Analysis of this Lesson
  4. Last Words

=============================

-----------------------
About the Lesson
-----------------------

Many guitarists forget that their right hand has fingers, too. They rarely use them... what a pity! One can make really beautiful music with the fingers/nails.
I want to introduce you a bit into classical guitar style. I created a song that uses one single fingering pattern - very easy. I believe that you will be able to use your right hand fingers more often after experiencing the fact that it sounds not that bad and you are able to play like this. smile.gif
The lesson is in the key of E minor and its tempo is around 120 bpm.
Here we go.

---------------
The Lesson
---------------

================================================================================

m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i
|---0---0----0---0-----|---0---0----0---0-----|---0---0----0---0-----|---0---0----0---0-----|
|-----0---0----0---0---|-----3---3----3---3---|-----0---0----0---0---|-----0---0----0---0---|
|-------0--------0-----|-------2--------2-----|-------0--------0-----|-------2--------2-----|
|---2--------2---------|---4--------4---------|---2--------2---------|---1--------1---------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p
p=thumb, i=index, m=middle, a=ring

The lesson starts with a fingering over the e minor chord. Use for the bass your thumb. Each other string has its own finger. The second bar is filled with the same pattern - this time over a D Maj9 chord (without 7) => D F# A E. In the next bar, we go back to e minor and then we switch to B Maj7add4.

================================================================================

m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i
|---5---5----5---5-----|---3---3----3---3-----|---5---5----5---5-----|---7---7----7---7-----|---7---7----7---7-----|
|-----5---5----5---5---|-----3---3----3---3---|-----5---5----5---5---|-----8---8----8---8---|-----7---7----7---7---|
|-------5--------5-----|-------4--------4-----|-------5--------5-----|-------9--------9-----|-------8--------8-----|
|---7--------7---------|---5--------5---------|---7--------7---------|---9--------9---------|---9--------9---------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p

Very easy: A minor in the 5th position, G Major in the 3rd position, A min again, E minor on the 7th position and finally B Major in the 7th position. Same fingering.

m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i
|---0---0----0---0-----|---2---2----2---2-----|---3---3----3---3-----|
|-----0---0----0---0---|-----0---0----0---0---|-----0---0----0---0---|
|-------0--------0-----|-------0--------0-----|-------0--------0-----|
|---2--------2---------|---1--------1---------|---0--------0---------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|
p p p p p p p p p p p p

Here we go chromatically down the scale with the bass until we reach B (which is in the next lick). This motive was also used by Jimmy Page (=> Stairway to heaven). Chords: E min, G maj7 #5 and G Major.

a a a
m m m
m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i m i i i i
|---5---5----5---5-----|---5---5----5---5-----|---2---2----2---2-----|-------7---12(NH)---|
|-----5---5----5---5---|-----4---4----4---4---|-----4---4----4---4---|---5---7---12(NH)---|
|-------2--------2-----|-------2--------2-----|------------2---------|---0---8---12(NH)---|
|----------------------|----------------------|-------4--------4-----|---2----------------|
|---4--------4---------|---3--------3---------|---2------------------|--------------------|
|----------------------|----------------------|----------------------|---0---7---0--------|
p p p p p p p p p p p p p p p

This ending lick starts with an A Major chord followed by an A minor chord (where the Eb is a D#). We announce the end with a nice sounding V degree of E minor: the B Major chord (added 7th: sounds better). The last bar consists of E minor, B Major and E minor chords, nothing special, just a I-V-I chord progression.

------------------------------------------
Analysis of this Lesson
------------------------------------------

This lesson is built up on a simple right hand fingering. It is entirely written in E minor, there only few out-notes added at the end when descending to the B (bebop scale used: The Bebop scale.

-------------------
Last Words
-------------------

I hope you enjoyed this lesson. I got again some more experience when recording this lesson. It´s a very good exercice for me, too.
Now something new:
If anybody posts a video of his performance of any lesson (by me of course smile.gif), I´ll listen to him and try to make a lesson by request. laugh.gif Anyone interested?

GuitarProFile: Attached File  Fingerpicking_I.gp5 ( 3.37K ) Number of downloads: 294

Cheers,
Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 20 2008, 09:57 PM
GMC Founder
Great topic and well laid out SI lesson - thanks Tolek! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 20 2008, 10:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 20 2008, 09:57 PM) *
Great topic and well laid out SI lesson - thanks Tolek! biggrin.gif

Thanks, Kris. smile.gif
That topic is actually my strongest one. laugh.gif I plan do to much more lessons on this actually. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 21 2008, 12:25 AM
Instructor
Awesome stuff Tolek, very nicely made an in depth. Keep 'em comin' smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 21 2008, 12:55 AM
Instructor
This is excellent, I like the topic and the playing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 21 2008, 01:17 AM
Instructor
Excellent lesson Tolek
You are doing great work man !
I enjoyed the descending ala Stairway to heaven type harmony smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 21 2008, 11:08 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I haven't even made a take, but I already have a lesson request wink.gif Can you do a lesson on "Fingerpicking in songs". These exercises are cool, but in music they are often not like that. For instance, I'd love to play Free Fallin by John Mayer. I'm practicing now, so I'm getting there smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 21 2008, 12:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 21 2008, 12:25 AM) *
Awesome stuff Tolek, very nicely made an in depth. Keep 'em comin' smile.gif

Thanks, Ivan. They´ll be coming. smile.gif

QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Dec 21 2008, 12:55 AM) *
This is excellent, I like the topic and the playing smile.gif

Thanks, Dejan, I´m glad you like it. smile.gif

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 21 2008, 01:17 AM) *
Excellent lesson Tolek
You are doing great work man !
I enjoyed the descending ala Stairway to heaven type harmony smile.gif

Thanks, Pedja. smile.gif
Does this lick use the bebop scale or not? laugh.gif I wasn´t very sure, so I left it. smile.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Dec 21 2008, 11:08 AM) *
I haven't even made a take, but I already have a lesson request wink.gif Can you do a lesson on "Fingerpicking in songs". These exercises are cool, but in music they are often not like that. For instance, I'd love to play Free Fallin by John Mayer. I'm practicing now, so I'm getting there smile.gif

Haha, thanks, Kaznie. smile.gif
I don´t really understand what you mean. You want a lesson that is a cool backing track for a singer where the guitar ornaments some notes with fingerpicking?
Please record your take as soon as possible. I can´t wait for it. smile.gif

Thanks a lot for your nice comments, guys. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 21 2008, 01:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Good job on the lesson mate!! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 21 2008, 01:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Bogdan. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 23 2008, 09:46 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Tolek,

I mean a lesson where fingerpicking is used in a song. I love the way fingerpicking is used in sweet home alabama, classical gas and Free Fallin. Those are just examples of what I mean. Those songs don't use fingerpicking as in this lesson, the tab looks much more chaotic then this wink.gif

I hope you understand!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 23 2008, 11:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Dec 23 2008, 09:46 AM) *
Hey Tolek,

I mean a lesson where fingerpicking is used in a song. I love the way fingerpicking is used in sweet home alabama, classical gas and Free Fallin. Those are just examples of what I mean. Those songs don't use fingerpicking as in this lesson, the tab looks much more chaotic then this wink.gif

I hope you understand!

Now, it´s a bit clearer, mate. smile.gif I´ll try to give my best to compose a lesson like the songs mentioned while you try to learn these fingerpicking basics, ok? tongue.gif

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Siggum
Dec 23 2008, 11:27 AM
GMC:er
Cool lesson Tolek, good job biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 23 2008, 11:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Siggum @ Dec 23 2008, 11:27 AM) *
Cool lesson Tolek, good job biggrin.gif

Thanks, I´m glad you like it. smile.gif Can I expect a video take from you?

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Dec 25 2008, 10:34 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Great lesson Tolek, nice picking smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 25 2008, 10:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks. smile.gif And thanks again for your help in the chat! smile.gif

+Quote Post
goldnspots
Jan 7 2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for recommending this. I will check it out and start working on it if I can. Looks very well laid out. Would like to see more like this from you... or anyone.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 7 2009, 06:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (goldnspots @ Jan 7 2009, 06:30 PM) *
Thanks for recommending this. I will check it out and start working on it if I can. Looks very well laid out. Would like to see more like this from you... or anyone.

Thanks. smile.gif Actually, I plan to do a whole series for beginners at fingerpicking.

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 07:05 PM
Nice lesson smile.gif
That's sad, really people do forget about their fingers rolleyes.gif
I myself was playing classical and acoustic ones for several years before getting interested in electric one, so I'm fortunately used to it, plus full chords.

Thanks for sharing and keep working, they're good lessons! cool.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:34 AM