2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pocket Pod Or Pandora Px4d?, Can't make up my mind
Nighthawk1
Sep 25 2008, 09:02 AM
GMC:er
Hi there GMC,
I am really struggling to make a decision between these Multi-Effect devices. I've read all the great reviews on this site but I am still incertain...maybe you can help me a little?
So I see some major maybe subjective advantages and disadvantage on both hands

I love that the Pandora has rhythm tracks to jam along to which is absolutely great which the pocket Pod doesn't have right? There are also some nice effects like an intelligent pitch shifter which isn't included in the Pocket Pod also.
On the other hand it bothers me that the Pandora is no usb device...so you can't download and share tones, and you can't programm your tones over the pc! I have toneport UX2 and it would be great to put some gearbox tones on the Pod as well. But, as I already said, it also bothers me that Pod has no Rhythm tracks to jam to. The Pocket Pod is also 30euro cheeper but that's just a little minor advantage...maybe you can help me out with my iinconclusiveness sad.gif
Thanks a lot

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 25 2008, 09:16 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Personally I`d go for the Pandora, I had a pocket pod for a while and was not that impressed with it to be honest, it does kind of depend on what your looking to do with it.

The Pocket pod doesnt work with gearbox to edit the programs, it uses a different editing suite altogether, which is just as easy to use as gearbox, it also uses the same tones from the POD 2 so you may be limited on the tones you can transfer to the pocket pod.

If your after high gain crunching tones DONT buy the pocket pod, it didnt have anywhere near enough drive etc for the tones I wanted, however if your just wanting rock type rhythm guitar tones then it works fine, if you want metal type tones then forget it, it just doesnt do it.

I agree with you that a downside of the Pandora is the non USB enabled editing, but having had a little play with bondy`s pandora a while back we managed to get some decent tones out of it fairly quickly, in the main I generally only use a couple of patches that I tweak depending on what I`m doing (more delay or chorus etc) so the editing is just a small side to it imo, its how the unit sounds smile.gif

Out of the two get the Pandora, who could be a better advert for it than Muris?? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Sep 25 2008, 09:33 AM
Out of the two get the Pandora, who could be a better advert for it than Muris?? smile.gif
[/quote]
Well yeah, but you don't know what Korg is paying him to do so ?! laugh.gif Just kidding, real artists aren't corruptible... smile.gif
So thanks for your answer that really helps. Didn't know that it isn't compatible with gearbox for instance and I don't want another program for that purpose on my mac! You said with a little handling you got decent tones out of it but the presets are pretty already, aren't they?
Further recommendations are welcome..!

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Sep 25 2008, 09:34 AM

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 25 2008, 09:40 AM
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Sep 25 2008, 09:33 AM) *
You said with a little handling you got decent tones out of it but the presets are pretty already, aren't they?
Further recommendations are welcome..!

Do you mean the Pandora? to be honest I`m not fully conversant with the Pandora, Craig (Bondy) bought it over with him and I had a little mess about with it before we set off to London, so I couldnt rezally tell you what the presets where like, kinda tweaked some tones that Craig already had programmed in smile.gif

The Pocket Pod tone presets I dont recall being that great, there where one or two that where "ok", I know a couple of guys use the Pocket pod on here, but for me, I generally just found it disappointing.

What about the Pandora PX5? I nearly bought that instead of the PODXT, that has USB editing capabilities and a lot more features than the PX4, more cash I know, but .. ya gets what you pays for laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Sep 25 2008, 09:47 AM
...Yes I was talking about the Pandora.
...Well the PX 5 is an awesome device I would have bought it already if I hadn'T already the ux2 toneport as a recording device and that's the main additional aspect of the px5 that you can record with it, right?

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Sep 25 2008, 09:47 AM

+Quote Post
Torben
Sep 25 2008, 10:03 AM
I got the PX4 some time back and really like it. It´s easy to use and I like both the jamming tracks (use them quite a lot) and also the recording feature. Really helpful if you want to practice playing over some progression.

I have never tried the POD, but guess it all comes down to your needs. Personally I can see the value of an USB connection, but only if it was important for me to try out other peoples settings. Usually I get along by experimenting a bit, which I find very instructive.

Good luck.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 25 2008, 10:10 AM
What are you looking to do with it exactly?

You`ve got the UX2 Toneport, so you`ve already got a multitude of tones at your disposal through your PC smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Sep 25 2008, 10:15 AM
Yes, I was not looking for tones but for a Pod in order to play it through the amp and to be mobile with guitar and headphones only you know wink.gif
I think the px5 would have been the better choice than the toneport because here you got a pod and a recording device all in all! But I didn't really have a clue about all this when buying it

This post has been edited by Nighthawk1: Sep 25 2008, 10:17 AM

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 25 2008, 10:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Sep 25 2008, 11:15 AM) *
Yes, I was not looking for tones but for a Pod in order to play it through the amp and to be mobile with guitar and headphones only you know wink.gif

Your toneport and Gearbox on a laptop? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Canis: Sep 25 2008, 10:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 25 2008, 10:20 AM
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Sep 25 2008, 10:15 AM) *

Rightio, yer thats what I got the Pocket Pod for originally so I could practice away from the PC

Yer would be the Pandora all the way for me without a doubt then, and for that reason I would probably scan ebay for a cheap 2nd hand PX4, other than that I cant think of any other devices that woud take my fancy smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Sep 25 2008, 10:23 AM
OK thanks so far...really helped me rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 25 2008, 11:49 AM
Instructor
I can't speak a lot about pocket Pod
but I can say a few things about Pandora tho,
and Korg dosen't pay me to do that btw laugh.gif

This is just in my case tho,
it might not work for someone else.
I have pretty descent audio card (E-MU 1820m)
so I don't need an audio card and recording device in one,
like some Line6 products.
I also don't need USB cause I record everything
using audio inputs on my card.
And PC interface is also something I don't need cause
I can edit any patch I want directly on Pandora.
Talking about patches,presets are useless in 90% of time
just like sharing patches with someone else,
you must have the same guitar,same rest of the gear
and you must be 100% the same player to get the same sound. wink.gif
Pandora has pretty enough gain(it's still fully digital device)
and serves my needs nice so far,
considering the size and the price. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 25 2008, 11:56 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 25 2008, 11:49 AM) *
Talking about patches,presets are useless in 90% of time

Couldnt agree more- the only good sound i've had the patience to dial in is based on your settings.

+Quote Post
Nighthawk1
Sep 25 2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the considerations Muris !

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 25 2008, 01:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I've got both pocketpod & Pandora PX5D, and Pandora totally owns the pocketpod.

There are certain amp models such as the insane from the pod which I liked, but since I got the Pandora I never went back to the pocketpod. It's much easier to dial the sounds in Pandora with the USB program (only px5d, not px4d though).

Another good thing about pandora vs pod is the backing tracks, not awesome but good enough to jam over without the need of an external ipod on the aux input to get a backing. And best of all: you come up with an inspiring riff and you can record it and jam over it just like that, either because the pandora is already connected to the PC or in the 80 second internal memory of the thing. Really cool.

One last thing, Pandora has a pitch shifting option which lets you change the key of the external sound you input. So, let's say you are practicing one of Lian's lessons (half step down tuning), well, you can just transpose it one step up and play it without downtuning your guitar following the same exact tabs.

My advice: go PX5D. I also bought a pod & toneport back in the day, now I almost only use Pandora, it's just so simple all in one gadget.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 25 2008, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Sep 25 2008, 01:41 PM) *
My advice: go PX5D. I also bought a pod & toneport back in the day, now I almost only use Pandora, it's just so simple all in one gadget.

Darn! I knew I shoulda bought one of them instead of the PODXT (desktop version!!) laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 25 2008, 02:45 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Smells @ Sep 25 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Darn! I knew I shoulda bought one of them instead of the PODXT (desktop version!!) laugh.gif

I was comparing it to the little pocketpod, I'm sure podXT is on a whole new level tonewise, probably better than PX5D, so don't worry cool.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 25 2008, 05:24 PM
Instructor
I would say Pandora in your case, since you already have Toneport, there's no need to buy pocket POD. DL and sharing tones is a cool feature, but this is not something that is very important IMO. Most of the time you will wish to make your own presets that will go along nicely with your gear, preferences etc.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 27 2008, 04:50 PM
QUOTE (Nighthawk1 @ Sep 25 2008, 10:02 AM) *
Hi there GMC,
I am really struggling to make a decision between these Multi-Effect devices. I've read all the great reviews on this site but I am still incertain...maybe you can help me a little?
So I see some major maybe subjective advantages and disadvantage on both hands

I love that the Pandora has rhythm tracks to jam along to which is absolutely great which the pocket Pod doesn't have right? There are also some nice effects like an intelligent pitch shifter which isn't included in the Pocket Pod also.
On the other hand it bothers me that the Pandora is no usb device...so you can't download and share tones, and you can't programm your tones over the pc! I have toneport UX2 and it would be great to put some gearbox tones on the Pod as well. But, as I already said, it also bothers me that Pod has no Rhythm tracks to jam to. The Pocket Pod is also 30euro cheeper but that's just a little minor advantage...maybe you can help me out with my iinconclusiveness sad.gif
Thanks a lot

A toneport is fine.
If you want to improve further, you have to buy a tubeamp and set it up by DI or an attuenator. (well, or miccing of course.)

Don't waste your money on more digital stuff.

And, regarding the backtracks.
If you use your toneport as a soundcard, you can easily jam to any song from the computer, in the same headphones.
However, wether you decide to get a tubeamp or stick with your toneport, you should definitely get a soundcard like muris proposed.

I also have an Emu external card, and it absolutely rocks.
Direct monitoring, superb sound quality, et cetera!

This post has been edited by kjutte: Sep 27 2008, 04:52 PM

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 28 2008, 03:09 AM
I second what Fran said, the PX5D is awesome. The sound quality is very good. i was able to dial in the sound I was looking for very quickly, and can tweak it just as easily. It works great as a direct input to Reaper or other DAW, and you can plug headphones into the out jack and monitor the audio in and out of the DAW. Patches very easy and intuitive to edit

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:51 PM