> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Avalius's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2016, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Avalius! Welcome to your mentoring thread.

Before we start, I'd like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jun 14 2016, 08:08 PM
GMC:er
Hello teacher!
Let's start with introducing myself, my name is Mitch I'm 29 years old and I'm from Belgium.
If I'm not playing my guitar I'm cycling or playing games. I have a wife and a son so alot of free time I'm spending with them.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?

My dad gave me a guitar when I was 15. Took some lessons and learned all the chords up to barre chords. Found it boring and stopped playing. A year ago, when I moved my guitars I started playing again. Being a bit older it was easier to understand theory. Learned about pentatonic scales, legato, vibrato and CAGED.

- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.

Alot but in general good riffs that catch my attention. Iron maiden, helloween, trivium, killswitch engage, rammstein, sabaton, bullet for my valentine, powerwolf, volbeat... To give you an idea.

- What are your guitar goals?

Being able to get the riffs in my head out of my guitar. And maybe in a band.

- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?

Having fun with the instrument and being able to play my favourite songs/own thoughts.

- How many time can you play guitar each day?

Let's say 30 minutes for sure. Some days I'm playing 1hr, other days 2hrs. It depends on the mood and the housework that needs to be done.

- Do you have playing live experience?

Only for friends.

- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?

My powerchords are decent and able to play alot of songs thanks to that. My single notes tend to be bad or unclear. Working hard on my pinky motion. Hardest finger for me.
If I'm struggling hard with something, I tend to give up. I'm pushing myself not to do it..

- What do you know about music theory?

*Chords
*Barre chords*
*Basic pentatonic scales
*Different Tunings
*Legato (Basic)
*Vibrato (Basic)
*CAGED

- Can you record videos of you playing?

Yes I can.

- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

Currently no recordings available. But I'll say some songs that i play with ease.

Judas Priest - Breaking the law, Rammstein - (Sonne, Buck dich, Waidsmanns Heil, Pussy,..), Blink 182 - All the small things, The offspring - Pretty fly/Want you bad, Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit, Deftones - My own summer, Pennywise - Bro Hymn/Fuck authority.. Alot of songs from this difficulty I can play.

And I've learned the solo from nothing else matters. Working on tempo here.
Still struggling with papa roach - last resort the fast picking part. Notes are not sounding clear or unwanted string noise.

My main music influence is caused by Iron maiden btw. I'm a huge maiden fan. Started with your Iron maiden for beginners lesson, but I'll practice the material you're giving me.

If there is anything more you would like to know, feel free to ask.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Avalius: Jun 14 2016, 08:10 PM

--------------------
"Where words fail, music speaks!"

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2016, 03:46 PM
Instructor
Hi friend, thanks for your info. I wonder if you can use your cellphone or maybe your PC to record yourself. There are ways to do it without any investment. It would be really helpful for this mentoring program to hear you playing.

Check out this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jun 15 2016, 09:06 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 15 2016, 02:46 PM) *
Hi friend, thanks for your info. I wonder if you can use your cellphone or maybe your PC to record yourself. There are ways to do it without any investment. It would be really helpful for this mentoring program to hear you playing.

Check out this video:

I've got everything what I need to record. Just give me a mission and I'll record it for you.
Going on a holiday till next week. When I get back, I'll start recording.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2016, 03:54 PM
Instructor
Great! What about recording this one?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metall...-For-Beginners/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jun 19 2016, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 16 2016, 02:54 PM) *

Excellent choice! I'll start learning it and upload a recording!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2016, 09:08 PM
Instructor
Great!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jun 21 2016, 07:20 PM
I'm halfway the lesson, is it better to learn the whole piece at once and keep speeding it up till i got it? Or piece by piece?

http://picosong.com/xRpj/ (This is after an hour, missing speed and it's not tight. My vibrato doesn't sound as good to.)

This post has been edited by Avalius: Jun 21 2016, 07:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2016, 04:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Avalius,

It's better to work on less stuff until you can memorize and incorporate it. Once you can remember it, you can work on the following part. It's not necessary to be able to play a part perfect to start working on the following.

I've checked the audio, it's ok. Try to practice at a slower tempo that allows you to play it with the right rhythm. You can slow down guitar pro file and turn on metronome to guide yourself.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jun 28 2016, 05:56 PM
Just two questions about the solo. The intro you're playing with your middle finger, why not the index finger? And on the part with the small 15 or the g15. After that intro thing, I'm doing a quick pull off and it sounds about the same but is that correct?

Also busy with korpiklaani vodka for when I want something else. But how do you play the muted strings? Old teacher told me to mute with picking hand (like in flames does in only for the weak). This works but every cover on youtube they mute with the chords hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_6i4hwiuM This video shows what I mean

This post has been edited by Avalius: Jun 28 2016, 06:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2016, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

I use my second finger in that part of the solo because I use finger 1 (index) as a bar to mute strings. I've seen doing this to Steve Vai when I was a student and liked it a lot because it's really useful for muting and doing vibrato and sliding smoothly. That's why I got used to this. It's ok if you don't like/want to do it in that way.

Check this video exactly where the link starts: https://youtu.be/mDZuNM3HmU4?t=1m55s

About muting, yeah, for this kind of strumming it's safer to mute mostly with your left hand. However, the right hand is most of the time muting strings that your are not playing (lower ones) so it's a mix of both hands.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jul 1 2016, 06:16 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 30 2016, 02:10 PM) *
Hi mate,

I use my second finger in that part of the solo because I use finger 1 (index) as a bar to mute strings. I've seen doing this to Steve Vai when I was a student and liked it a lot because it's really useful for muting and doing vibrato and sliding smoothly. That's why I got used to this. It's ok if you don't like/want to do it in that way.

Check this video exactly where the link starts: https://youtu.be/mDZuNM3HmU4?t=1m55s

About muting, yeah, for this kind of strumming it's safer to mute mostly with your left hand. However, the right hand is most of the time muting strings that your are not playing (lower ones) so it's a mix of both hands.

Thx! Got korpiklaani down now, using both hands to mute works good. I'll work on the second finger technique in solos. I like the idea behind it and new ways of playing are always good! I'll record the metallica lesson next week for you. Finetuning it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2016, 04:18 PM
Instructor
Excellent Avalius! I'll wait for your videos. Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jul 12 2016, 05:17 PM
Bah recording cable broke.
Made a recording without backing track or guitar pro with my cellphone.

So you can give your advice on what I'm doing so far. Timing is better with backing track but shit without. Besides that I'm slow and sloppy on some parts, vibrato is bad and legato is too slow to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bb_SQ5Afq8

Wanted to show you this, so you know I'm actually practicing. Just missing talent, to learn it quickly.
I'm sure you'll have some tips so my next upload is the whole song like a rec should be.

Avalius

This post has been edited by Avalius: Jul 12 2016, 05:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2016, 07:56 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Great to see you working hard! I can notice that you are more familiar with some riffs and passages than others and that's why the timing of this video is not regular. You need to put your focus on polishing details of each part so I think that the best would be that you practice 1 part at a time, at a slower tempo, using the slower backing tracks or metronome.

The first step for the next 3/4 days is to adjust the first riff, part 1. The rhythm used is not as the one used in the lesson. There is also a difference regarding the 4th string notes in that first riff, you are using legato, while I'm picking the strings.

This is just an example of the details that you need to review and the only way to do this deeply is working on small blocks.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jul 13 2016, 08:22 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 13 2016, 06:56 PM) *
Hi mate,

Great to see you working hard! I can notice that you are more familiar with some riffs and passages than others and that's why the timing of this video is not regular. You need to put your focus on polishing details of each part so I think that the best would be that you practice 1 part at a time, at a slower tempo, using the slower backing tracks or metronome.

The first step for the next 3/4 days is to adjust the first riff, part 1. The rhythm used is not as the one used in the lesson. There is also a difference regarding the 4th string notes in that first riff, you are using legato, while I'm picking the strings.

This is just an example of the details that you need to review and the only way to do this deeply is working on small blocks.

Does it make sense?

Holy ****, it does make sense. Dropped the legato and got the sound now.
Isn't seek and destroy played like that?
Also when it sounds good it's easier to get the timing. Next week I'll post the song on the backing track. Working on errors in the other parts to. Back next week, thx alot!

This post has been edited by Avalius: Jul 13 2016, 08:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2016, 12:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Avalius @ Jul 13 2016, 04:22 PM) *
Holy ****, it does make sense. Dropped the legato and got the sound now.
Isn't seek and destroy played like that?
Also when it sounds good it's easier to get the timing. Next week I'll post the song on the backing track. Working on errors in the other parts to. Back next week, thx alot!

yes, Seek & Destroy is played like that but not the lesson. That's why you were having problems trying to make this one sound tight.

Looking forward your new take!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Jul 31 2016, 11:47 AM
Hello Gabriel,

Been a while, holidays and stuff. Made my recording. Recorded guitar on backing track and filmed footage a day later. Bad idea but hey atleast I made a recording.

I'll invest in some material so I can record at the same time in HD.

Here is the lesson:

My timing was bad at the slide part around 42 secs. Didn't correct it since I wanted to make an unedited audio recording. And around 1.05 i edited the footage to fit the audio and by doing that I clipped a bit of the solo. Sorry for that.

This post has been edited by Avalius: Jul 31 2016, 09:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 1 2016, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the recording!

The parts that need more attention are the riff at 00:42 and the solo section. You already detected the issues in the riffing part, so I'll focus on the solo. The lead guitar also show timing issues in the first part, and near to the end of the solo I notice that you are not playing the right rhythm. Besides this, I note that your bending is not precise, you are not reaching the correct pitches so I recommend you to work on this technique, and here is a good exercise for that.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Avalius
Aug 1 2016, 07:09 PM
Okay I'll do that exercise and play it some more. Next recording will be a REC? So I can try to progress to the next lesson?

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:37 PM