Improving Picking Hand., How the hell?....
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 03:16 PM
GMC:er
I have some problems with my picking hand...
It is rather not a movement issue, 'cause I can play fast gallops quite easily. I think there're two problems here:
- synchro with fingering (that thing I know how to improve)
- picked string selectivity... maybe I'm just holding my pick a wrong way?... How to properly hold it? I play mainly metal, sometimes a hard rock. Rythm guitar. Plus... what thickness of the pick should be? For me now for playing fast gallops riffs I feel best with thin ones.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 7 2009, 05:12 PM
Instructor
it all comes to practicing after all
and there is hardly a wrong way of holding pick
unless if it's really something radical that just doesn't work.
Could you post a small video clip of your playing
to actually see the way you're playing?
About the gauge of the pick, that's very personal matter,
someone use thin, someone thick, there is no rule for that,
try different gauges and see what fits you the most atm.
Of course, during time your taste for gauge might change,
don't be afraid to switch between gauges.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2009, 05:18 PM
Instructor
If you have picking problems when transferring strings you can do simple exercise combinations that will allow you to practice all possible transfers on different strings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jan 7 2009, 05:21 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I don't have any great ideas what can be done, besides practice and more practice. Still it is a good idea to buy different kind of picks and check which one You like the most. I always bought "normal" "standard" picks, and one day I bought tortex triangle 1.00 mm, maybe it is just happening in my brain, but I like the way it stays in my hand more, I like the sound of my playing more, and I think my playing is more comfortable with this pick. I ordered some other triangle tortex picks today, so maybe these will be even better:)

Also different ways of holding a pick can be used in different situations. Changing the angle between the pick and strings will make faster playing easier, but at the same time can make the strings sound bit quieter ( well that is how it works for me:P ). Look at some George Lynch videos on Youtube, he holds his pick in a strange way, but this is one of the reasons why he sound unique. Eh I used so much words just to repeat what was said thousand times before : there is no one correct way of holding the pick, so choose the one You like the most;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 7 2009, 05:37 PM
Man, I had that problem then I started working on open string picking exercises with a la metronome. Try this exercise:

CODE

E|-15-0--0--0--12-0--0--0--10-0--0--0--12-0--0--0--|-10-0--0--0--8--0--0--0--10-0--0--0--8--0--0--0--|
B|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
-

E|-7--0--0--0--8--0--0--0--7--0--0--0--5--0--0--0--|-7--0--0--0--5--0--0--0--3--0--0--0--5--0--0--0--|
B|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
E|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
-

E|-3--0--0--0--2--0--0--0--3--0--0--0--5--0--0--0--|-7--0--0--0--8--0--0--0--10-0--0--0--12-0--0--0--|
-

all the notes are 16ths and awareness is the key. You should alternate pick like a machine and sync your left hand notes to the first notes of all the beats of metronome. Try this on all the strings. Later you should try also my SI String Skipping lesson. That well help you build your ap sync cross strings.

I hope this is helpful..

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2009, 05:41 PM
Instructor
Also if you haven't checked out my advise here be sure to read it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 07:19 PM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 7 2009, 05:37 PM) *
Try this exercise:

Well, on a single string I can do whatever speed I want to... my wrist is working ok I think.

But I'm gonna check your skipping strings lesson, sounds exactly what I need smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic)
Also if you haven't checked out my advise here be sure to read it.

Yes, I have seen this today smile.gif Surely will help smile.gif

So.... well, practice... free your mind wink.gif ok, I will.
Thanks tons for advices smile.gif

QUOTE (Muris Varajic)
Could you post a small video clip of your playing
to actually see the way you're playing?

I'll try to record something smile.gif

I was just playing.... hm, looks like my biggest problem is an alternative picking, regarding several strings (not just one!). Ok... back to excersizing wink.gif

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Jan 7 2009, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Practice is definitely the answer!
If thin picks are comfortable for you then stick with them.

Try practicing alternate picking exercises across two strings and continue from there to 3, 4, 5, 6.
Practice scale fragments to those can help out a bit.
Which ever exercise/s you choose make sure your pick movements are small and your technique is constant.

Your progress totally depends on the amount of time you practice constructively as well.
But remember Rome wasn't built in a day, So just keep on practicing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 7 2009, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Practise Danilos hand sync lesson......

It did wonders for me

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 10:28 PM
QUOTE (superize @ Jan 7 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Practise Danilos hand sync lesson......

It did wonders for me

Yeah, I've found this lesson already - it seems it's just what I need smile.gif

--------------------
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:54 PM