Pinky Troubles
Fullmetal_Tmd
May 29 2008, 03:15 AM
GMC:er
Well, as of late, I've been trying to strengthen my poor little pinky, so i've been doing some hammer-on/pull-off exercises. Nothing too hard it seemed at first, but for some reason, when i'm pulling off, my pinky stiffens up and starts to hurt badly. None of my other fingers do this, only my pinky. I'm just wondering, is this normal, and I'm just breaking it in, or is this some sign of trouble?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
USAMAN
May 29 2008, 03:30 AM
There is good pain and bad pain...im not sure how else to discribe it.
I went through some discomfort while learning to use my pinky. I believe some discomfort is normal...
but dont hurt yourself.
Take a break as necessary and that little piggy should come around soon enough.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 29 2008, 04:16 AM
QUOTE (USAMAN @ May 28 2008, 09:30 PM) *
There is good pain and bad pain...im not sure how else to discribe it.
I went through some discomfort while learning to use my pinky. I believe some discomfort is normal...
but dont hurt yourself.
Take a break as necessary and that little piggy should come around soon enough.

I agree, I had this issue, took it easy, it got better. And now Kansas is ahead of Minnesota in this thread, 2 to 1.

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 29 2008, 06:10 AM
Dull pain = good, sharp pain = bad. Either way take a rest and get back to it. Make sure you are practicing correctly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casper
May 29 2008, 06:25 AM
this was happening to me about a week ago, but after using my pink enough that doesnt happn any more.

--------------------
Guitars:EsP-LtD F-2E, Jackson King V, Fender Strat

MFX: Pandora PX5D, Zoom 505. Sennheiser HD25 mk II Headphones

Blown Amp :(

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 29 2008, 06:03 PM
Instructor
STOP when you feel PAIN!! It's good to let the pinky get tired a little bit, but NOT PAIN! Practice just trills with ring and pinky, 1 minute each day, and increase the speed when you feel good. Good luck!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 29 2008, 06:11 PM
Instructor
Just rest for a couple of days to avoid long term injuries. It should be OK.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
beebo
May 29 2008, 06:28 PM
I have a question also w/ pain.
Is it bad when u had to use mosco pads becuase ur fingers were really hard and bad callises...or was that a good sign of practicing? *or overpracticing? o.0*

+Quote Post
Oxac
May 29 2008, 08:40 PM
regarding the stiff pinky, I would recommend you to put your fingers slightly above four fret, not touching. Press down one finger at a time, then lift it. The other fingers shouldn't move and be as relaxed as possible, then the next finger press down, lift up etc. Do that from the top strings to the bottom and up. This exercise will help loosen up your pinky. Also playing a lick without fretting the notes, just put the fingertip on the string barely touching it. Also, your should try to minimize your movement but that's just a bonus.

Second tip, practice really slow, make sure that you're very very relaxed in your fingers. And now do it like ultra ultra slow motion, stayng relaxed all the time, do it from the bottom to the top frets, from the bottom to the top strings, backwards, etc. Make sure that the notes are even and sound good and that they're LOUD! I mean, they should sound right from the start, you mustn't do like 5 pulloffs before you get the volume or start with a pickstroke.

Other than that, stay cool, act cool, be KOOL biggrin.gif

HAve a nice day.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 29 2008, 09:05 PM
The Dark Canuck
Ahh the dreaded pinky finger smile.gif I'm at odds with mine most days too. As for your problem, if it's really hurting stop and rest. If you over due it it may cause more harm then good. You will encounter some tiredness and discomfort as you use your pinky but this is due to the fact that your muscles are not use to doing what they are doing.

I recommend stretching out your hands and fingers before you start to practice and also try doing Dejan's Little Finger Work-out It's a great lesson.

rok

+Quote Post
Canis
May 30 2008, 11:59 AM
Learning Rock Star
I recommend that little finger workout as well! That's the exercise that made me start to use my pinky =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
May 31 2008, 01:57 AM
Instructor
You must rest inmediatelly as soon you fell pain, or make incontrolled movements. One thing is feeling tired, that´s ok. Another thing is feel pain, you should stop and ask for help if pain don't go away in next practice session, what I mean for help is physical face to face help. Mey be you can upload some video to let instructor check out if ther is any catastrophic wrong with hand position or anything like that.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
May 31 2008, 03:39 AM
thanks for all the helpful advice, everybody smile.gif
the problem isn't that i'm not used to using my pinky, its just the pain i feel when trying to do Hammer/Pull. I usually do rest when the pain shoots thru, but sometimes i fight it anyways =/. I'll start warming up my hands from now on, to see if that helps, and I'll try using the little finger workout
Gerado: I could try to take a few pictures, but it won't be for a while, because my camera is currently getting repaired.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:38 PM