2 Pages V  < 1 2  
I Really Need Monitors
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 18 2013, 02:49 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 18 2013, 01:49 PM) *
so do I want to record the guitar track hot without clipping but than in mixing bring it down to the above levels

You should be tracking so that the guitar signal peaks between -18dBFS and -12dBFS on the daw channel.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2013, 08:28 AM
GMC:er
Just in case, I thought I"d add a visual aid smile.gif

What he is saying here is try to keep your levels between the -18 and -12 when recording. see graphic below.
Attached Image

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 18 2013, 08:49 AM) *
You should be tracking so that the guitar signal peaks between -18dBFS and -12dBFS on the daw channel.

Please do share so we can hear! smile.gif

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Dec 17 2013, 09:18 PM) *
Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I decided to start fresh with the mix, and things are sounding a lot better now. Thanks again.

I'd say trust your ears and add whatever it needs. I often add a Compressor/exciter/expander/eq/reverb etc. to EZ drummer depending on which track/sample I'm using. I've got several expansion packs so I build a kit using the best sounding bits from each. Don't be afraid to add a compressor or whatever it needs. By itself, ez drummer lacks some refinement, but you can make it sound amazing with some practice smile.gif

Here is a track where I used EZ drummer and the Drum Kit from Hell expansion pack. It's a Djent/metal track so the drums are not very dynamic, more of a periphery type metal kit with very clicky kick drum and washy cymbals. But it's exactly what I was going for. EZ is very good at doing metal bits imho smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/solo-backing-track-six-demon

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Dec 13 2013, 11:07 PM) *
Wow, never tried that. Thanks a lot! The old drum machine plugin I used to use had this, so I'm glad to see EZDrummer has the same functionality.

If I understand correctly the samples in EZDrummer are already equalised/compressed so I'm assuming I wouldn't want to just add a compressor to the signal chain and over-compress it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 20 2013, 08:23 AM

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Dec 20 2013, 12:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2013, 06:28 PM) *

I'd say trust your ears and add whatever it needs. I often add a Compressor/exciter/expander/eq/reverb etc. to EZ drummer depending on which track/sample I'm using. I've got several expansion packs so I build a kit using the best sounding bits from each. Don't be afraid to add a compressor or whatever it needs. By itself, ez drummer lacks some refinement, but you can make it sound amazing with some practice smile.gif

Here is a track where I used EZ drummer and the Drum Kit from Hell expansion pack. It's a Djent/metal track so the drums are not very dynamic, more of a periphery type metal kit with very clicky kick drum and washy cymbals. But it's exactly what I was going for. EZ is very good at doing metal bits imho smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/solo-backing-track-six-demon

Thanks Todd. I love the djent track! Am I right to say that generally the faster your kick drum is hitting, the less bass/boom you want?

I just have the default kit, but it sounds pretty nice, especially after I put a few subtle EQ and comp on a few of the mics. I'll let you guys know soon how it's going

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 20 2013, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Basicly yes but When You have dense kick drum parts You can use low freq compression or side chain compression to avoid too much bass at the moments when both - kick drum and bass play dense parts

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 20 2013, 04:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2013, 08:28 AM) *
Just in case, I thought I"d add a visual aid smile.gif

What he is saying here is try to keep your levels between the -18 and -12 when recording. see graphic below.

okay, now I am thoroughly cornfused( iam trying to learn plugins here if you have pointers https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;start=20)now overloud tells me I need to turn up the input knob to get the best tone- but that puts the gain about+6, if I lower it to the suggested levels , it sounds even thinner .

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:20 AM