2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Vista & 64 Bit, My Impressions
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 15 2008, 10:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Well on the back of creating my monster, I have everything setup as I like it and since there were so many differing opinions on Vista & 64 bit, I will now confuse the issue further by telling you what I think having been through it!

So, my initial impressions of Vista are good - I'm a sucker for flashy graphics and love the new Aero theme. Since I am working on a way more powerful machine I don't notice any performance impact - in fact, this is the best way to move to Vista IMO - buy a new more powerful machine, and don't bother upgrading your older machines.

The install was fairly routine - I'm glad to see Vista is a bit cleverer than XP was about getting SATA drivers of an actual CD instead of forcing you to make floppy image (especially as I have no floppy drive!)

So, on to the software, this was the make or break. I had previously verified that my 2 most important devices not only had vista drivers but also 64 bit versions of those drivers - my EMU1212m soundcard and my PodXT Live. Both installed without a hitch and work perfectly. This is a key factpr in upgrading though - make sure all of your devices have support or you willneed to throw them away.

I spent some time installing my many VSTs and various pieces of software, and I am gratified to report that with one single exception, everything worked! That exception is Bournemark Broomstick Bass which actually installs and runs ok but crashes whenever you try and open the interface. Sadly, Bournemark have no plans to produce a Vista copy. In all other cases, I found updated Vista compatible versions of my programs, and in one solitary case I needed to pay an upgrade fee of $10. I managed to install a couple of non Vista aware programs ok by running the install and registration as administrator - necessary for some registry writing rights that would otherwise fail.

So, in terms of software coverage, I have all I had before with that single exception - a lot better than I thought!

Now, I have to say that 64 bit version of programs are still few and far between. Although I can get a 64 bit reaper, it won;t work with 32 bit VSTs as previously reported on this forum, so I have to use the 32 bit version of Reaper. 64 bit support is still very spotty elsewhere as well - I have just a handful of 64 bit apps installed, including surprisingly iTunes - make sense I suppose since OSX is 64 bit by now I guess. However the good news is that 32 bit programs run just fine on 64 bit Vista so going to 64 bit hasn't actually hurt me, I am just not necessarily using the full 64 bit potential of my machine, which for now is fine. I think it will be another couple of years at least before the move to 64 bit gains headway.

Also, there were various opinions on having 8 cores instead of 4 or 2. People were right in that software mostly doesn't make use of all cores, but some of my key software does, particularly reaper. Sony Vegas does for rendering but dissapointingly doesn't seem to for previewing projects with effects on. This will get better over time as well though, and I think somewhat quicker than the 64 bit situation so we will see.

All in all, I am very pleased with my decisions and now have a much faster machine than I did before!

Final Conclusion:

Vista - Yes! The time is Now!
8 Cores - sure why not
64 bit - still a couple of years away but won't do any harm to start now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 15 2008, 11:06 PM
Instructor
Nice to hear that you're happy with your new system. Yesterday I was prompted to install Vista SP1. It went automatically and I haven't notice any difference than before. Vista is slowly becoming stable system but Microsoft has already announced Windows 7 for the next year.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 15 2008, 11:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Great to see things are working out for you biggrin.gif

I for one am always surfing in the back water, partly because I'm not the least interested in computers and software and partly because I don't have the energy too keep up and I don't understand half of it, I just want things to work. So I'm happy there are people like yourself who are willing to take a shot at it so everything will work well in the future for the illiterate wink.gif

I mostly entered this thread since it said 64 and I thought Commodore, felt a bit tricked at first but evetually enjoyed the reading. I'll be there in a few years from now when all the fit falls are filled, I will probably not be aware how many cores my future computer will be using at a time. But I hope there will be many. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Oct 15 2008, 11:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have been testing Vista 64 for a while and has been great. Since SP1 has been releasd I have really no issues.

Just have to have the hardware to support it. 4 gig of RAM minimum.

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Oct 15 2008, 11:33 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 16 2008, 12:46 AM
GMC:er
How is iTunes 8 working for you?

It SUCKED for me. I sacked it and moved to Media Monkey.

I'm running Vista 64 on a quad core 4GB machine.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Oct 16 2008, 01:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
I bought a AR series VAIO laptop last year, and it had Vista pre-installed. At the time Vista had horrendous support for a lot of my guitar based software (most notably Adobe Audition), so glad to hear it sounds like Vista is now a bit more supported smile.gif

Would be very interested to know if you encounter any problems, otherwise I guess it may be time to stop using my XP dual boot! (Which I might add, was the biggest computer pain in my life! SATA drive drivers, among others, screwed me around for months!)

Nice to hear its working smoothly for you though smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 16 2008, 01:53 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 15 2008, 07:46 PM) *

Well, I really just wanted Quicktime wink.gif I don;t use iTunes for music usually, I do use it on another machine for my iPhone. So, it may well suck and I wouldn't know!

QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Oct 15 2008, 08:36 PM) *
I bought a AR series VAIO laptop last year, and it had Vista pre-installed. At the time Vista had horrendous support for a lot of my guitar based software (most notably Adobe Audition), so glad to hear it sounds like Vista is now a bit more supported smile.gif

Would be very interested to know if you encounter any problems, otherwise I guess it may be time to stop using my XP dual boot! (Which I might add, was the biggest computer pain in my life! SATA drive drivers, among others, screwed me around for months!)

Nice to hear its working smoothly for you though smile.gif

I'll let you know if anything else broken shows up ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 16 2008, 02:00 AM
I'll post anything unfortunate here as well.

So far all is well for me.

I know Waves brand plug ins do not work in 64bit.....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 16 2008, 02:08 PM
Instructor
Good news Andrew, I'm glad everything is working nicely. Instead of broomstick I suggest trilogy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Oct 16 2008, 02:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Oct 16 2008, 01:46 AM) *

I am running Vista 64 on a dual core 4 GB machine and use Itunes 8 a lot without any problems/issues.

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 16 2008, 02:13 PM
Glad to hear you're happy with new PC smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 16 2008, 02:45 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
These are great news (that everything works!)..You really inspired me , I should be getting an PC upgrade myself some time soon smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Oct 16 2008, 09:06 PM
All this talk about new computers makes me want to build a new one for myself i'm still using my Athlon 64 3500+ with 1.5 gig of slow DDR memory but it still works fine only makes allot of noise because my coolers need to be replaced.

I think my next one will be a laptop somwhere next year maybe...

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Oct 16 2008, 09:08 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 16 2008, 09:15 PM
Wow. Thats almost exactly what I just replaced. Athlon X2 3800. 4gb ram. WAY TOO LOUD OF A CASE + Fans.

My room is oddly quiet now.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2008, 12:13 AM
Absolutely - in fact trilogy is why i'm not so upset at losing Broomstick - I swapped a few months ago and Trilogy rocks - great reccomendation smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 16 2008, 09:08 AM) *
Good news Andrew, I'm glad everything is working nicely. Instead of broomstick I suggest trilogy.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 17 2008, 12:42 AM
Learning Roadie
hi andrew, i,m glad you like your vista, i have been using vista for over a year and i really like it, and it has not given me any problems what so ever, so congrats on the new system !!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 17 2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for sharing your experienses Andrew.

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Oct 16 2008, 03:12 PM) *
I am running Vista 64 on a dual core 4 GB machine and use Itunes 8 a lot without any problems/issues.

If you just need a mediaplayer, if you don't need iTunes for Apple syncing and are tired of WinAmp bloat I can recommend Songbird, a freeware project that's evolved much over the last months and now feels pretty stable and looks very promising.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2008, 11:43 AM
Trying it now - thanks!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Oct 17 2008, 12:12 PM
I could have been polite enough to add a link to it.
http://getsongbird.com/

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 17 2008, 03:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I also have vista (the 32-bits) and no problems at all!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:04 PM