> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Lester's Thread, for Gab's Army
Lester
Oct 31 2016, 11:10 AM
Learning Roadie
Sorry about that! I was away for the weekend, so I didn't check...apparently it wasn't processed correctly smile.gif

Here it is:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lester
Oct 31 2016, 01:22 PM
Learning Roadie
So this popped up on the home screen:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phrase...ement-Exercise/

This seems to be like the exact thing I would need to avoid sounding repetitive in improvising isn't it? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2016, 02:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Lester @ Oct 31 2016, 07:10 AM) *
Sorry about that! I was away for the weekend, so I didn't check...apparently it wasn't processed correctly smile.gif

Here it is:

Hi Lester, there are some obvious details to adjust on this one regarding cleanness, as well as some bends that are not precise (like the one at 00:31). Then, you can also work more on dynamics and vibrato. I would continue polishing this one, and improvising over the backing creating variations of this licks.

That lesson suggested sounds good. I'll get deeply into it to have a fuller opinion but it looks promising.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 2 2016, 12:11 PM
Learning Roadie
HI Gabe,

Allright, I'll keep on working on it! smile.gif

Usually I think I have the pitch of the bend quite well...sometimes I don't have enough power though to quite get there.
Maybe I should try to bend higher than I think I should go? I need to fix this bending thing! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 2 2016, 07:59 PM
Instructor
Work diary on the first exercise from this video: https://youtu.be/JNDyI5b3Fh8

and you'll fix it in a short period of time.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 3 2016, 10:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Allright, thanks! will do! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2016, 02:02 PM
Instructor
Great. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 14 2016, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

Just wanted to let you know that I am still working on this, but I am very busy graduating for my master's degree and planning my wedding, searching a job and house. smile.gif
So I am working on it, but I have to prioritize and it might take a while before I can post something here again.

-Lester

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 15 2016, 06:15 AM
Instructor
Hi Lester! All great news. smile.gif

All the best with those projects mate. Enjoy every minute, and take your time to share here your progress or whatever you want! Pictures from your wedding or new house are also welcome. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Nov 16 2016, 07:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 15 2016, 07:15 AM) *
Hi Lester! All great news. smile.gif

All the best with those projects mate. Enjoy every minute, and take your time to share here your progress or whatever you want! Pictures from your wedding or new house are also welcome. smile.gif

Thanks Gabe! smile.gif
I will!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 17 2016, 03:45 PM
Instructor
Cool! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 1 2017, 11:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe!

What's going on? I have just graduated from my master's degree and ready to devote more time to playing guitar again.
I have to admit that I was so busy the last 3 weeks of my studies that I didn't play guitar, or do pretty much anything at all other than studying tongue.gif

Anyway, I would like to pick it back up again and continue working on those scales. Would that be o.k.?

Lester

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2017, 12:43 AM
Instructor
Sure mate! What's the plan? What lessons are you planning to continue working? It would be really helpful if you can share here all the GMC lessons that you've worked and the current status. It would be a great reference to see where we are now.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 2 2017, 11:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Great! smile.gif

Well, I was hoping you could help me create a better practice schedule.
Because I usually do the same thing over and over again, sometimes just to be able to say that I did practice that day. and I think I could progress better and it gets boring as well wink.gif

So here's what I usually do:

- Warming up, stretching hands (the exercises you showed me once) and do some chromatic runs and string skipping runs.
- Alternate picking exercise, I am learning this one:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-1/

- All of the lessons I am working on:

Muse style lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...e-style-lesson/

Three level solo, beginner:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/

Bendy Blues:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bendy-Blues/

BB's Blues:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/

Megadeth made easy:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Megadeth-Made-Easy/

Sometimes I also improvise a little bit or play old songs that I learned earlier from previous bands.

My problem is that I cannot keep up with everything I want to do...
I also play acoustic and usually rehearse old songs but I never get to actually learning new songs for example.
This is what I would like to do simultaneously:

- Rehearse old lessons/songs both acoustic and electric to improve on them
- Learn new songs on both guitars. Not lessons, actual songs.
- Learn to improvise in the basic scales as we did a video on earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI9vLa_yTeg
- Improve on cleanness of playing and bending.

And in doing that I need to keep it interesting. I usually want to do new things, but then I am afraid that I won't progress in other area's I am working on. Do I make sense?
So how can I sucessully mix it up and still progress?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2017, 03:55 PM
Instructor
Hi Lester, that's a GREAT post. It's very helpful to have those clear goals write down. We can definitely create a routine based on them. The first thing that you should write is a list of at least 10 songs (ordered from easier to more difficult) that you'd like to lean. You can write two lists if you wish, one for the electric and another one for the acoustic guitar.

Then, we can build from it. What do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 8 2017, 11:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Sure! It was more challenging then I thought at first, but here they are smile.gif

Electric Songs:

1. Happiness - Allen Toussaint
2. Moving on & Getting Over - John Mayer
3. Hey, Floyd! - Jamiroquai
4. That's the way the love goes - Norman Brown
5. stop loving you - Toto
6. Ain't no sunshine - John Mayer
7. Still got the blues - Gary Moore
8. Thrill is gone - Joe Bonamassa
9. Sloe Gin - Joe Bonamassa
10. Just got paid - Live - Joe Bonamassa

Acoustic:

1. I see fire - Ed Sheeran
2. Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel
3. Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
4. California dreaming - Bobby Womack
5. Goodbye - Tingsek
6. Something like Olivia - John Mayer - ACoustic version
7. Stop This train - John Mayer
8. Dear Marie - John Mayer - acoustic version
9. Speak for me - John Mayer - acoustic version
10. Neon - John Mayer

This post has been edited by Lester: Feb 8 2017, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 9 2017, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the list. It will be our reference for the song section of your routine.

I would organize diary routines with this structure.

Routine 1:

- Warming up (5 minutes)

- Technique Work (25 minutes)

- Electric Song Practice (45 minutes)

- Improvisation topic + Jam (45 minutes)

Routine 2:

- Warming up (5 minutes)

- Technique Work (25 minutes)

- Electric Song Practice (45 minutes)

- Improvisation topic + Jam (45 minutes)

For the warming up, you can do the Petrucci's massages and then start with some chords. It can be a good idea to use this moment to practice new chord shapes: drop 2, drop 3 etc.

In the technique work section, the idea is that you work on 1 topic each day from this list:

- Bending
- Alternate picking
- Vibrato
- Legato
- Hybrid Picking

And work on exercises that can be taken from any technique book, from my Intensive technique book, Todd's Shred course, from GMC lessons, licks from songs. I recommend you to create a folder where you save exercises labeled with the technique and take one from there every day for practicing.

During the song practice, the idea is that you focus on learning the song. You can use your ear, tabs, youtube and everything else to learn it. I think that you can work one day on electric song and the other on the acoustic, or maybe you can focus each week on one guitar, and the following one on the other, but playing at least once or twice the song that you've learnt the previous week.

Finally, for the improvisation topic, the idea is that you work on the different concepts like scales, arpeggios, triads, following the chords, double stops, modes, etc. You can continue a bit with blues, but you could get into rock, metal, funk, and fusion. Jazz Standards are great for this too, since it makes you play over the changes. The first step would be to decide which program you'll follow. This can be taken from GMC lessons, from our theory section, or somewhere else.

Please write down these ideas, and expand each one. Prepare all the material you'll need in order to make the practice time efficient.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 14 2017, 12:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gabe,

Thank you for that great post, I think it will be really helpful to me!

About the warmup, what do you mean with "drop 2, drop 3 etc."? smile.gif

As for technique lessons, I had the following plans:
I don't own any technique books and I am not sure if I know what your intensive technique book is?
So for now I have selected GMC lessons.

Bending:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/take-c...-of-your-bends/

Alternate picking
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...icking-Basics/#

Vibrato:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ibrato-lesson1/

I am not sure about this vibrato lesson, I prefer something a little more easy. But Ben's vibrato odyssey has a different type of vibrato then I like to use.
I'd rather move my finger up and down, whereas Ben moves horizontally or in a circular motion. Do you have any suggestions for this?

Legato:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...king_beginner/#

Hybrid picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/hybrid...cking-beginner/

For improvisation I will first practice being less repetitive with the minor pentatonic scale and then learn to apply the other scales used in blues and try to mix them up.
You already gave me the theory I need, now I just need to practice it more smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 14 2017, 01:02 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice to know that the post helped.

Here are two suggestions for vibrato:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

By drop 2 and 3 I refer to chord shapes. Check these lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu.../drop-2-chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Drop-3-Chords/

Finally for technique, this is my ITC: LINK.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Lester
Feb 15 2017, 08:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Awesome! Thanks Gabe!

I'll get started implementing my new routine and let you know how it's going! wink.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:46 PM