Am I Evil - Diamond Head, Not Metallica
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2020, 02:55 AM
GMC:er
Diamond Head is re releasing some of their classic stuff and here is the vid for AM I EVIL. This was one of the songs that got me in to Metallica. Like most folks I had no idea who the heck Diamond Head was, and no idea that Metallica had been doing Diamond Head covers for years. They didn't make it a secret that these were covers, but they didn't shout it from the rooftop either. On their "Garage Days" E.P. Metallica do their best Diamond Head impression and it's quite good. Give this a listen and you can hear the roots of what became known as "Speed Metal" and later "Thrash Metal". Here are the originators doing AM I EVIL.

Which version do you prefer? Metallica or Diamond Head?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Nov 12 2020, 09:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
Metallica's version was the first one I heard so it's the one I prefer smile.gif

I don't understand why Diamond head are releasing this song again after so many years.

Milking it for money in order to make new album?
Lack of new materials to release?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2020, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Maybe it's an strategy to say the world... "hey, we are alive." or "hey, we are the original composers of this song".

If this is to make money to record a new album... good news! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 12 2020, 03:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If they are releasing another album let's hope Sean returns as the singer. Difficult person but great great singer.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2020, 03:39 PM
Instructor
Singers are usually difficult persons....

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 12 2020, 04:19 PM
There was more to it though, his mom was the manager, his brother in law was involved too and there was a lot of unfair distribution of money.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Nov 12 2020, 05:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
When I saw Diamond Head live, they admitted that it was the Metallica's cover that brought in a lot of new fans and also helped them with money (they get paid royalties).

Metallica also inform their fans, during live shows, that this is Diamond Head's song, and also how much respect they have for them.

We need to check with which company was the "new" version of Am I evil was released with.

If it's a new label, then maybe they are trying to solve their conflict of money distribution they have in their band.

If it's the same label as the old version of the song then it's probably money milking which I hope it will be used for the recording of new material.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2020, 03:52 AM
GMC:er
They are celebrating the 40th anniversary of Am I Evil from what I read. So they are re releasing re mastered versions of some old tracks to commemorate the anniversary, I think. I gotta say the new version sounds way better than the original.

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Nov 12 2020, 12:22 PM) *
When I saw Diamond Head live, they admitted that it was the Metallica's cover that brought in a lot of new fans and also helped them with money (they get paid royalties).

Metallica also inform their fans, during live shows, that this is Diamond Head's song, and also how much respect they have for them.

We need to check with which company was the "new" version of Am I evil was released with.

If it's a new label, then maybe they are trying to solve their conflict of money distribution they have in their band.

If it's the same label as the old version of the song then it's probably money milking which I hope it will be used for the recording of new material.

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Nov 13 2020, 03:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ooh so it's an anniversary type of a release!

Yeah it sounds way better than the older version

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 13 2020, 02:52 AM) *
They are celebrating the 40th anniversary of Am I Evil from what I read. So they are re releasing re mastered versions of some old tracks to commemorate the anniversary, I think. I gotta say the new version sounds way better than the original.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 13 2020, 10:01 PM
Rasmus Bom Andersen is still the current singer, he's good but Sean Harris had an exquisite voice.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:50 AM