4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Trivium
Paul Coutts
Nov 25 2007, 10:48 AM
GMC:er
I quiet like them, and I don't think they sound like metallica at all. Sure influence by them, but the solos rip tons more biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 25 2007, 02:22 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I Agree, while i here influence, there sound is way different, and there approach to songwriting is totally different.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 29 2007, 07:53 AM
I like Trivium alright, although I don't like his penchant for trying to write songs with deep meanings using polarizing topics and basis of real life events (Entrance of the Conflagration - that woman drowning her children, Ignition - disagreeing with government, And Sadness Will Sear - that gay dude who pretty much got crucified, Unrepentant - honor killings in a very popular world religion, Contempt Breeds Contamination - that person who got gunned down by the police). This is an element I think they tried to borrow from Metallica (Disposable Heroes, Leper Messiah, Creeping Death, For Whom the Bell Tolls), where they cover a topic but Met doesn't really try to get political about it either way. I just find that distasteful and it's distracting from the music.

And the other similarity I'll draw from Metallica is the "spitfire" style vocals that Hetfield pretty much popularized. Few bands use this style but I don't think Trivium should be knocked, I think Matt does that quite well.

All criticism aside, their early material during their screaming days could definitely be considered Metalcore, but even still, they have a HEAVY prog element that screams more "metal" than many bands I think of as being "Metalcore". Their most recent album is straight up metal, with heavy thrash riffs, prog style development, technical guitar runs and tasteful use of soloing.

All that aside, I'm very excited to see what their future holds considering how young they are and how much great material they already have out.

As for which album would be a great first album, depends on you. If you want stuff that is more familiar feeling, pick up The Crusade and you'll immediately recognize the thrash riffs with guitarwork better than Kirk Hammett ever thought about, or if you're more into the cookie monster vocals with some songs with almost Maiden-esque guitar harmonies, then check out Ascendancy. Both albums feature harmonies, but I feel Ascendancy is a little heavier on them . I'm willing to bet their future albums will be irrefutably metal, despite what something as horribly innacurate as Wikipedia might state (anybody can edit it, and for a contemporary subject such as metal I doubt there is any real consensus on what qualifies).

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 29 2007, 12:13 PM
I Agree, except for the lyrics part, i quite liked them. I mean his appraoch to the subject was different then what hetfield or metallica might of done. Anyway, i think fot being so young and talented, they have got many great and wonderful albums ahead of them.

+Quote Post
exorcyze
Nov 29 2007, 03:09 PM
Defining genre boundaries is a tricky topic with there being so dang many of them now. I think that metal covers a pretty broad range of music with it's forgiving umbrella and I'm personally ok with that.

I loved Ascendancy and thought it was really "their sound" they were defining with that.

I'm not against bands changing and maturing their sound. That said I do feel The Crusade is a huge departure from the sound they had previously held - and I can definately hear the Metallica influence in the new album. A friend played it for me without telling me what it was and I almost thought it was a new Metallica album.

I think they're a great band with a lot of potential. I was disappointed at what I felt was a drastic change in musical direction with the latest offering. But I think that happens a lot with bands ( Atreyu's Lead Paper Sails, Nothingface's Skeletons etc ) - sometimes they temper it, sometimes they don't.

Andrew - I would recommend checking out both Ascendency and The Crusade as they both have their qualities and they're very different. As I said I would listen to Ascendency first if you're looking for an album that is a bit more unique ( I feel the same way about Atreyu's Curse vs Lead Paper Sails - Curse is just more raw and unique in it's sound to me ).

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 29 2007, 03:11 PM
Eh, they're too upfront about their criticism, if they took a more "...And Justice" approach to it, I think they would benefit from it more, since metal fans in general are all over the board with their views on issues like they discuss.

Also, "Metalcore" is a subgenre of metal, not an offshoot. So I really don't think there is any debate on them being "metal", just maybe not your definition of "metal".

Metal: A Headbanger's Journey covers the ridiculous "family tree" of metal. Technically "Thrash" is a combination of punk and traditional heavy metal as well. But thrash is already established and metalcore is a relatively new offering.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 13 2007, 09:52 PM
Instructor
I do like Trivium, I enjoyed the Ascendancy-album more than The Crusade-album, I just think Ascendancy sounds better overall! I've also seen them live, when they were touring with Iron Maiden on their last tour, and tomorrow Im going to see them at Helsinki in The Black Crusade-tour with Machine Head! it's going to be sweet! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Dec 13 2007, 09:52 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Kapto
Dec 14 2007, 02:00 AM
It's a shame really. I have tried to get into bands like Trivium,Soilwork, Killswitch Engaged....but I can't stand loud voices and screaming away. The best thing is that I quite like when they sing in a normal tone. About composition and instruments played I love it. Maybe I'm getting old ( sniff ) sad.gif

--------------------
"It's a long way to the top..."

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 14 2007, 02:04 AM
Well trivium dont really do screams anymore, Matt Heafy does mainly clean vocals now, like so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSfGtLzshc

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Dec 14 2007, 02:06 AM
QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Dec 13 2007, 12:52 PM) *
I do like Trivium, I enjoyed the Ascendancy-album more than The Crusade-album, I just think Ascendancy sounds better overall! I've also seen them live, when they were touring with Iron Maiden on their last tour, and tomorrow Im going to see them at Helsinki in The Black Crusade-tour with Machine Head! it's going to be sweet! biggrin.gif

I agree, I loved the Ascendancy album much more then the Crusade. The Crusade was good in it's own way.

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2007, 05:13 AM
Instructor
I like Trivium! They remember me to "And justice for all" album and that's great. However I think that they have their own personality. It's great to have new bands like this one nowadays. smile.gif

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 14 2007, 12:15 PM
+1 to that

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 16 2007, 12:34 PM
Instructor
I just have to add that they were amazing live on Friday at the Black Crusade gig! They played To The Rats, Fugue, Gunshot, Becoming the Dragon, Pull harder, Rain, Anthem and Entrance of the conflagration. They were so energetic and played brilliantly, and the crowd was just nuts when they played! It was an awesome gig! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Dec 16 2007, 01:12 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 16 2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah Trivium put on an awesome show, ive seen em 3 times, most recently was back in March, one of the most intense shows! smile.gif

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Dec 18 2007, 04:02 PM
I liked thier first album better, I'm not a big fan of the second one, but those dudes can play!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 20 2007, 06:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Dec 14 2007, 03:04 AM) *
Well trivium dont really do screams anymore, Matt Heafy does mainly clean vocals now, like so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rSfGtLzshc

Yeah, at first when he stopped screaming and doing just clean vocals, I was a little bit taken a back by it, but now that Im used to him singing even the old songs with clean vocals, It all just sounds great to me! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:58 PM