What To Practice
Drakett
Mar 18 2007, 11:38 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys wats up, i was wondering if you guys could post some thignsi could practice to improve my overall skills(dexterity/speed/etc.) thanks guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2007, 12:10 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Drakett @ Mar 18 2007, 06:38 PM) *
Hey guys wats up, i was wondering if you guys could post some thignsi could practice to improve my overall skills(dexterity/speed/etc.) thanks guys

The best place to start would probably be the Speedpicking 101 exercises, and be sure to check out the lesson on practicing with a metronome - good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 19 2007, 12:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Drakett @ Mar 18 2007, 11:38 PM) *

Actually the answer to this question is: "Check out the whole GMC!" hehehe Just learn lesson by lesson and you'll have your improvement!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 19 2007, 03:08 AM
Instructor
I agree Pavel, check all the lessons!

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 19 2007, 02:23 PM
GMC Founder
Agreed. smile.gif

All instructors agree - then this gotta be the answer! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leijon
Mar 19 2007, 04:37 PM
I´m guessing that what he meams is, in what order, right?

Have been struggling with that myself. I am new here and have had tons of fun with just random lessons and I have picked up tons of cool stuff. But eventually I will have to sit down and see if I can put together a "study plan" or something. I went through the basic stuff in two sittings, but I played a while years back.

The first answer was the best, the Speedpicking lessons, that is what I am going to tackle next...

--------------------
Leijon, Sweden
Guitars:
Taylor T5 Standard S1
Fender Classic Series '60s Custom Telecaster with Bigsby
Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Stuff:
Boss ME 80 multieffect
Zoom Player 2020 (yeah!)
sore fingers...

+Quote Post
Rock
Mar 19 2007, 06:07 PM
QUOTE (Leijon @ Mar 19 2007, 04:37 PM) *
I´m guessing that what he meams is, in what order, right?

Have been struggling with that myself. I am new here and have had tons of fun with just random lessons and I have picked up tons of cool stuff. But eventually I will have to sit down and see if I can put together a "study plan" or something. I went through the basic stuff in two sittings, but I played a while years back.

The first answer was the best, the Speedpicking lessons, that is what I am going to tackle next...

I am also very new to the guitar. I purchased a few weeks ago and started with the lessons on the site immediately. I have learned quite a bit and am definitely improving, but have similar trouble since I don't always know what I should be practicing. I tend to jump around and work on everything - speedpicking, pentatonics, power chords, working with the metronome and whatever else I can find on the site that I feel I can handle since some of it is obviously way over my head and I am not ready for. I haven't even begun to think about learning how to play a song. I figure I need to be able to move around the fret fairly easily before tacking a song.

Does this make sense? Should I also be trying to learn a particular song at the same time. I will certainly add this to my list if anyone thinks it may help with progress.

+Quote Post
jete124
Mar 19 2007, 07:45 PM
QUOTE (Rock @ Mar 19 2007, 12:07 PM) *
I am also very new to the guitar. I purchased a few weeks ago and started with the lessons on the site immediately. I have learned quite a bit and am definitely improving, but have similar trouble since I don't always know what I should be practicing. I tend to jump around and work on everything - speedpicking, pentatonics, power chords, working with the metronome and whatever else I can find on the site that I feel I can handle since some of it is obviously way over my head and I am not ready for. I haven't even begun to think about learning how to play a song. I figure I need to be able to move around the fret fairly easily before tacking a song.

Does this make sense? Should I also be trying to learn a particular song at the same time. I will certainly add this to my list if anyone thinks it may help with progress.

If you try and learn some relatively simple songs, or simple riffs of a song, it would only help you. Plus you will feel a lot better that you can play something recognizable, instead of just the necessary exercises.

+Quote Post
n0x
Mar 19 2007, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (jete124 @ Mar 19 2007, 10:45 PM) *
If you try and learn some relatively simple songs, or simple riffs of a song, it would only help you. Plus you will feel a lot better that you can play something recognizable, instead of just the necessary exercises.

Yes your practice time should always revolve around being 1/3 exercises, 1/3 learning a song and 1/3 improvising on your own!

+Quote Post
Rock
Mar 19 2007, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ Mar 19 2007, 10:29 PM) *
Yes your practice time should always revolve around being 1/3 exercises, 1/3 learning a song and 1/3 improvising on your own!

Ok, makes sense. Assuming I am able to pick out a fairly easy song to learn (hard rock or metal), I guess my next difficulty would be to learn the fingering on my own. The tab shows the string and fret, but not necessarily the fingering correct? I just want to get the most out of my practice sessions and don't want to be wasting time and energy figuring out what someone has already done. Make sense? It's just that at least with the video instructions I know I am working correctly on something or not.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2007, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (Rock @ Mar 19 2007, 05:45 PM) *
Ok, makes sense. Assuming I am able to pick out a fairly easy song to learn (hard rock or metal), I guess my next difficulty would be to learn the fingering on my own. The tab shows the string and fret, but not necessarily the fingering correct? I just want to get the most out of my practice sessions and don't want to be wasting time and energy figuring out what someone has already done. Make sense? It's just that at least with the video instructions I know I am working correctly on something or not.

Figuring it out is part of the learning process really - if you have problems with specific parts of tabs etc you can always ask on the board smile.gif Get playing real songs dude, its what we are all working towards, and when you master something that is hard for you, it is the most motivating thing you can do! Good luck!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Mar 19 2007, 10:51 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Mar 19 2007, 11:07 PM
hmm i gotta question

is it alright to just spend most of your time learning songs and improvising. Because i spend probably no time on excercises. I maybe spend a little bit of time figuring how to play some licks but thats not really excercising, i think dry.gif should i be excercising more?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 19 2007, 11:17 PM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Mar 19 2007, 06:07 PM) *
hmm i gotta question

is it alright to just spend most of your time learning songs and improvising. Because i spend probably no time on excercises. I maybe spend a little bit of time figuring how to play some licks but thats not really excercising, i think dry.gif should i be excercising more?

Kris' suggestion is you spend 1/3 time with the metronome practicing for speed and consistency, 1/3 time jamming and playing stuff, and the remaining 1/3 learning new stuff that you aren't ready to metronome yet ... and who am I to argue with Kris?

If I had to pick one I would pick learning songs and improvising, but it is amazing how fast my playing has come on since I added the other 2 smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:03 PM