Vonhotch's Bootcamp, You Have Chosen The Way of Pain!
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2012, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bitly.com/vonhotchsbootcamp
Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
vonhotch
Sep 18 2012, 03:07 AM
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for signing me up. I figured I would post one of the way I started. 140bpm. SIR! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2012, 06:41 PM
Welcome to Hell! smile.gif Looking good at that speed soldier. Also, NICE INK! What type of design is that?

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 17 2012, 10:07 PM) *
I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for signing me up. I figured I would post one of the way I started. 140bpm. SIR! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 23 2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks!!! I don't know if it has a special name it's kind of a tribal thing, but it reminds me of some custom pinstriping like on hot rods. SIR!

Here is 170bpm. I tried to record it with the metronome in the track but I will have to do it different next time, as I guess it didn't stay in there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2012, 10:53 PM
I am having a hard time hearing what you are playing on this one soldier sad.gif What are you using to record here?

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 23 2012, 12:27 PM) *
Thanks!!! I don't know if it has a special name it's kind of a tribal thing, but it reminds me of some custom pinstriping like on hot rods. SIR!

Here is 170bpm. I tried to record it with the metronome in the track but I will have to do it different next time, as I guess it didn't stay in there.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 25 2012, 10:53 PM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 26 2012, 03:07 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2012, 09:53 PM) *
I am having a hard time hearing what you are playing on this one soldier sad.gif What are you using to record here?

Argh! dry.gif I have had this problem the past couple times I've recorded all of a sudden it has been quiet. I'll check my levels and I will record another ASAP!!!!! I am plugged directly into my computer and recording into reaper. This is what I get for not watching my video before posting. By the way great vchat, was my first one. I'll see you next week!

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 27 2012, 02:18 AM

Argh! dry.gif I have had this problem the past couple times I've recorded all of a sudden it has been quiet. I'll check my levels and I will record another ASAP!!!!! I am plugged directly into my computer and recording into reaper. This is what I get for not watching my video before posting. By the way great vchat, was my first one. I'll see you next week!

Ok....I dropped did 50 pushups and rerecorded. BUT!!!!!! To redeem myself I cranked the gain and did it 5 bpm faster wink.gif 175 bpm!!!! I would be curious to know what you think of the tone it is a Lepou legion amp head and some orange cab impulses loaded into Lepou lecab 2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 27 2012, 03:43 AM
CONGRATULATIONS SOLDIER! You just made the grade! You have officially .....

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Good Speed
2.)Clean Strikes
3.)Consistent fretting.

And the amp sim works well too! smile.gif I LOVE amp sims. I'd say download demo's for the major packages and see which ones you like best. Try OVERLOUD TH1, TH2, AMPLITUDE and AMPLITUDE METAL, GUITAR RIG 5. I"ve got presets available for download for most of the major packages. Without further ado, HERE ARE YOU NEW COLORS SOLDIER!!

Attached Image

On to the next mission!

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 26 2012, 09:18 PM) *

Ok....I dropped did 50 pushups and rerecorded. BUT!!!!!! To redeem myself I cranked the gain and did it 5 bpm faster wink.gif 175 bpm!!!! I would be curious to know what you think of the tone it is a Lepou legion amp head and some orange cab impulses loaded into Lepou lecab 2.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 7 2012, 11:14 PM
Hey man, here is some lesson 2. I've got myself some Amplitube. What a difference, I have not tried TH1 or 2 yet. I want to try those next. I tried to play this at a speed that I could play over several strings before my edurance quit on me. I can play it faster but not over as many strings. Thanks!!!! smile.gif Oh and I just realized I forgot to edit out the last part of my video, so there is no sound for that.......cause it fell apart. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Oct 7 2012, 11:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2012, 05:48 AM
CONGRATULATIONS SOLDIER! The Enemy lays Dead at your feet. Slain by your will to conquer and practice! You sir have just been......

PROMOTED!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Good Speed
2.)Clean Strikes
3.)Consistent fretting.

That's what I like to see soldier! Somebody earning it! Don't think it gets ANY easier from here Soldier, IT DOES NOT! It gets freakishly harder! So prepare yourself! Fear not, go where Angels Dare Not Tread!

Here are your new vestments. Wear em with Pride Soldier!

Attached Image

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 7 2012, 06:14 PM) *
Hey man, here is some lesson 2. I've got myself some Amplitube. What a difference, I have not tried TH1 or 2 yet. I want to try those next. I tried to play this at a speed that I could play over several strings before my edurance quit on me. I can play it faster but not over as many strings. Thanks!!!! smile.gif Oh and I just realized I forgot to edit out the last part of my video, so there is no sound for that.......cause it fell apart. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 9 2012, 05:49 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 14 2012, 10:23 PM
I reattached my hand after vchat and here is my next take. biggrin.gif That vchat was great. The guitar I use in the video is tuned in fifths so I use 4 note per string scales on it. I have been working on stretches but doing stuff at speed was really cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 15 2012, 03:08 AM
Well Done Soldier! You have some very nice hand movement there and I see that you Pinky has been working overtime and is hitting every, single, little, note!

I'm having a tad bit of trouble actually hearing the pic strikes, but I can see them and they are are timed well with the frettings so that's a win in my book! Congratulations Soldier, you, have, just, been.......

PROMOTED!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Good Speed
2.)Clean Strikes
3.)Pinky working overtime and nailing it!

Attached Image

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 14 2012, 05:23 PM) *
I reattached my hand after vchat and here is my next take. biggrin.gif That vchat was great. The guitar I use in the video is tuned in fifths so I use 4 note per string scales on it. I have been working on stretches but doing stuff at speed was really cool!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 21 2012, 10:52 PM
Hey, Sir! I have instituted your suggestions let me know if its better. For added difficulty I also played everthing left handed. laugh.gif Just kidding. I used a different program to record and somehow managed to record a mirror image. I also filmed a video of quads from saturday at 200 bpm with a different guitar but the same patches and stuff to see if one is better. Thanks!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2012, 05:00 AM
Well played Soldier! I can see the blood and sweat on the fret board! Your tone is improving as well, congrats! I really would like to be able to hear each pick strike so I opened Amplitude Metal for the first time in forever and built you a preset from scratch that should do the trick. It was a bit of a struggle I must say, and it did remind me of why I switched to OVERLOUD, but I think I've got something that will help me hear your strikes. Here is a recording of the patch so you can know what it should sound like.

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/amplitude-metal-custom-patch

and the patch in a zip.

Attached File  Todd_Lead1.atmp.zip ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 104

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 24 2012, 05:12 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 25 2012, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 24 2012, 04:00 AM) *
Well played Soldier! I can see the blood and sweat on the fret board! Your tone is improving as well, congrats! I really would like to be able to hear each pick strike so I opened Amplitude Metal for the first time in forever and built you a preset from scratch that should do the trick. It was a bit of a struggle I must say, and it did remind me of why I switched to OVERLOUD, but I think I've got something that will help me hear your strikes. Here is a recording of the patch so you can know what it should sound like.

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/amplitude-metal-custom-patch

and the patch in a zip.

Attached File  Todd_Lead1.atmp.zip ( 1.95K ) Number of downloads: 104

This is great. Thanks, but I am afraid that I have once again been bested by technology dry.gif . I extracted the zip into my presets folder but I can not seem to find it when I open amplitube. Is there something else I should do with it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2012, 05:38 PM

Are you using Amplitude Metal? Which version of it? Hmm. If you would, send me one of your presets. Any of them, just to so I can test it out.

Todd

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 25 2012, 08:30 AM) *
This is great. Thanks, but I am afraid that I have once again been bested by technology dry.gif . I extracted the zip into my presets folder but I can not seem to find it when I open amplitube. Is there something else I should do with it?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2012, 07:04 AM
I think I've got a solution. Your using AMPLITUDE 3 so I made a version of the preset for AMPLITUDE 3 smile.gif Here it is in a zip file.

Attached File  4VonHotch.at3p.zip ( 1.96K ) Number of downloads: 101

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 25 2012, 08:30 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 27 2012, 07:05 AM

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 27 2012, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 27 2012, 06:04 AM) *
I think I've got a solution. Your using AMPLITUDE 3 so I made a version of the preset for AMPLITUDE 3 smile.gif Here it is in a zip file.

Attached File  4VonHotch.at3p.zip ( 1.96K ) Number of downloads: 101

Here is lesson 4 again using my awesome new Todd Simpson custom preset! smile.gif I have been playing around with settings on another preset I like and I think I have it sounding pretty nasty, how do you save and share them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 29 2012, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 27 2012, 08:36 PM) *
Here is lesson 4 again using my awesome new Todd Simpson custom preset! smile.gif I have been playing around with settings on another preset I like and I think I have it sounding pretty nasty, how do you save and share them?

That was the wrong video! Oops. Let's try this one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2012, 08:18 AM
Well fought Soldier! You have clearly been polishing your weapon, and spending time on the Shooting Range!

The tone is much improved as well! I did notice your palm mute slipped just a bit on your way back down the neck resulting in just a hint of string noise, but nothing that would get your squad killed! So......................

PROMOTED!!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Good Speed
2.)Clean Strikes
3.)Splendid Pinky Work!

Attached Image

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 29 2012, 03:29 PM) *
That was the wrong video! Oops. Let's try this one.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:41 PM