Good Drum Program
ElHombre
Oct 10 2013, 04:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello

I use EZ drummer, but I can almost only use 4/4 time signature.
I is not possible atleast for me to change it in the actual daw.

I was thinking of getting Superior drummer instead? good or not?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 10 2013, 05:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Superior Drummer is brilliant, but I think it would be just as wise to learn to edit from 4/4 in the DAW. I know that's possible anyway. You could also create your own drum tracks. smile.gif

I have Superior Drummer though and I like it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 10 2013, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Exactly! The meter must be changed with the Daw... what software are you using?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 10 2013, 10:04 PM
Instructor
I recently started to use Abbey road. Maybe my ears are too used to a AD and EZ, so this sounds fantastic and fresh !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 10 2013, 10:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 10 2013, 05:54 PM) *
Hello

I use EZ drummer, but I can almost only use 4/4 time signature.
I is not possible atleast for me to change it in the actual daw.

I was thinking of getting Superior drummer instead? good or not?

I'm not sure I understood what you meant with "I can almost only use 4/4 time signature"?
Superior drummer is pretty much just an upgrade over ez drummer in terms of samples and somewhat flexibility.

All these VSTs do is play your midi tracks you assign to them, they are both capable of playing any groove and time signature.
I think you might need to solve the time signature in the DAW setup and also maybe get some add-on midi groove packs that you can use with ez drummer (or superior) which feature other than 4/4 time signatures. I don't think Superior Drummer is worth upgrade only for the built in midi groove library it comes with.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 11 2013, 08:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 10 2013, 10:27 PM) *
I'm not sure I understood what you meant with "I can almost only use 4/4 time signature"?
Superior drummer is pretty much just an upgrade over ez drummer in terms of samples and somewhat flexibility.

All these VSTs do is play your midi tracks you assign to them, they are both capable of playing any groove and time signature.
I think you might need to solve the time signature in the DAW setup and also maybe get some add-on midi groove packs that you can use with ez drummer (or superior) which feature other than 4/4 time signatures. I don't think Superior Drummer is worth upgrade only for the built in midi groove library it comes with.

Yes. This smile.gif

Bogdan is right. You should be able to change the time signature. In Cubase, I change it on the main command panel. I just click in there, and type in 6/8 or whatever.

Attached Image

If the track has multiple time changes, it's a job for the tempo track !

Attached Image

Attached Image

All DAWs are going to be different but they still share basic features.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 11 2013, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Ben pointed things right smile.gif But it depends on what DAW you are using. All DAWs have that transport zone that Ben showed you and near the metronome settings there, you can change the time signature smile.gif Tell us - what sort of DAW you are using?

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Oct 12 2013, 08:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
I use reaper.
Maybe Im wrong, but for me changing it in the bar below the tracks (where u also change tempo) didnt work
Also insert time signature/tempo change didnt work either

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2013, 08:55 PM
GMC:er
You can change time signature/temp in reaper as many times as you want within a given project smile.gif Here is a screen grab of where to click. smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 12 2013, 03:34 PM) *
I use reaper.
Maybe Im wrong, but for me changing it in the bar below the tracks (where u also change tempo) didnt work
Also insert time signature/tempo change didnt work either

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Oct 13 2013, 12:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank Todd but that did not work at all for me, I have used it before and I can only seem to change the tempo, never the signature.
I feel like im missing something, something u have already expected me to do to get it to work but i have not done

When working with projects i only drag the actual grooves out to the track
Well the bars change when I do this, but actual drums remain the same

This post has been edited by ElHombre: Oct 13 2013, 12:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 12:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 13 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Thank Todd but that did not work at all for me, I have used it before and I can only seem to change the tempo, never the signature.
I feel like im missing something, something u have already expected me to do to get it to work but i have not done

When working with projects i only drag the actual grooves out to the track
Well the bars change when I do this, but actual drums remain the same

I think I know what your trouble is - are you writing the drum grooves from scratch in the DAW over the newly set time signature grid? smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Oct 13 2013, 04:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 12:49 PM) *
I think I know what your trouble is - are you writing the drum grooves from scratch in the DAW over the newly set time signature grid? smile.gif

I am not writing them biggrin.gif
Just "dragging" ready made grooves

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 05:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 13 2013, 03:58 PM) *
I am not writing them biggrin.gif
Just "dragging" ready made grooves

Well, that solves your problem smile.gif You should write them from scratch according to the time signature that you set beforehand. It will most likely work wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2013, 05:17 PM
Instructor
I think that Cosmin found the problem. Most of the loops that include EZ library are in 4/4, there are just a few in 6/8 and 3/4. If you need loops in other meters you will have to write them or search for midi files. If you download loops and want to find them in EZ drummer, you have to copy the files here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Toontrack\EZDrummer\Midi\MY MIDIFILES

Ok, I hope that this solves the issue, if not keep on giving us information.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2013, 07:16 PM
BINGO!! Cosmin Nailed it smile.gif If you are dragging midi grooves on to the timeline, they will just sit there being whatever they were created in. You can change the time signature like I showed you in the example before you put the groove in though and have as many time signature changes on a give track as you like. But dragging grooves on then trying to change the signature is probably not your best bet. sad.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 12:10 PM) *
Well, that solves your problem smile.gif You should write them from scratch according to the time signature that you set beforehand. It will most likely work wink.gif

+Quote Post
Barthandelus
Oct 13 2013, 07:31 PM
Great topic, interesting stuff.

I have never really thought about making my own drum tracks - might give it a go now!

So it looks like Superior Drummer is the way forward. Do i need a DAW as well? Is Reaper good enough, or would something from Cubase be better / easier?

I take it SD contains loads of loops that can then be edited in the DAW?

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Oct 13 2013, 07:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 05:10 PM) *

The only thing I have ever programmed for drums is a few "count ins" in 4/4
I would be more than lost unfortunatley sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Oct 13 2013, 06:48 PM) *
The only thing I have ever programmed for drums is a few "count ins" in 4/4
I would be more than lost unfortunatley sad.gif

Mate - it's very simple smile.gif The first step would be to analyze a simple groove and re-write it so that you may understand how things work - you open up the piano grid and if that channel has the drum pluggin assigned, each piano key (the black and white ones on the left side) will have a drum element assigned - of course, if you say you have written the 1,2,3,4 hi hats you have done this at the most incipient level smile.gif Now, try it with the simplest groove - listen to it and try to emulate it on the grid.

The grid is divided into rhythmic subdivisions as you will choose them, but it's better to set it on 16th notes smile.gif

Please let me know if there are questions and I'll gladly help further.

QUOTE (Barthandelus @ Oct 13 2013, 06:31 PM) *
Great topic, interesting stuff.

I have never really thought about making my own drum tracks - might give it a go now!

So it looks like Superior Drummer is the way forward. Do i need a DAW as well? Is Reaper good enough, or would something from Cubase be better / easier?

I take it SD contains loads of loops that can then be edited in the DAW?

Mate - as I said, it's better to learn how to write a groove from scratch, rather than be confined in using pre made loops. You need a DAW, having the SD assigned to a midi channel, on which you will start writing the drum groove. Reaper is very good so, please try this and once you do it, open up the piano roll or events grid how it's called and follow these steps:

he first step would be to analyze a simple groove and re-write it so that you may understand how things work - you open up the piano grid and if that channel has the drum pluggin assigned, each piano key (the black and white ones on the left side) will have a drum element assigned - of course, if you say you have written the 1,2,3,4 hi hats you have done this at the most incipient level smile.gif Now, try it with the simplest groove - listen to it and try to emulate it on the grid.

The process is pretty nicely described in here:

The grid is divided into rhythmic subdivisions as you will choose them, but it's better to set it on 16th notes

What do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Barthandelus
Oct 14 2013, 09:22 AM
Cool stuff!
Can i lay down a backing track in Cubase / Reaper as well? Like a bass line and strings?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2013, 08:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Barthandelus @ Oct 14 2013, 08:22 AM) *
Cool stuff!
Can i lay down a backing track in Cubase / Reaper as well? Like a bass line and strings?

Yes - for certain smile.gif It's all a matter of assigning the right pluggin (strings, bass, synth .. etc) on a separate track and writing it in the same manner as you write the drums smile.gif The possibilities are endless - but that's the whole fun in it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:02 PM