2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Ruben_mcn's January Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Jan 3 2010, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Ruben,

We are continuing with our MTP in January where we left of in December. I hope you had good celebration for new years and extra couple days of, now its time to do some work. Your 1st assignment will be based on Triads lesson but this time you will do 2nd part of series.

1st assignment and REC :

- Triads in C major scale part 2

- Record video of Triads in C major scale part 2 lesson found HERE
- Use backing track provided in the thread when recording it.
- Try to apply left hand fingerings I applied but stick to right hand fingerings all the way.
- Upload video on Youtube and post it in this thread here.
- When you are done with video, post it in REC part of forum for grading!

Deadline for this assignment is January 10th.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Jan 3 2010, 10:12 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  120bpm_main.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 110

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 4 2010, 09:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Pedja i´m gonna work on it rigth away =) ..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 5 2010, 12:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Jan 4 2010, 09:01 PM) *
Thanks Pedja i´m gonna work on it rigth away =) ..

Excellent Ruben. Let me know if you need any help with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 5 2010, 12:50 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 4 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Excellent Ruben. Let me know if you need any help with it!

i think i wont have a problem =) w/ the lesson

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 5 2010, 12:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Jan 5 2010, 12:50 AM) *
i think i wont have a problem =) w/ the lesson

That is good news smile.gif You will make the deadline without problems than? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 5 2010, 01:30 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 4 2010, 11:52 PM) *
That is good news smile.gif You will make the deadline without problems than? smile.gif

Sure thing man =) will we work on my improvisation issue in this month MTP ?? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 5 2010, 02:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Jan 5 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Sure thing man =) will we work on my improvisation issue in this month MTP ?? smile.gif

For sure! As soon as we get REC out of the way, I will give you assignments related to improvising.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 5 2010, 11:16 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 5 2010, 01:55 AM) *
For sure! As soon as we get REC out of the way, I will give you assignments related to improvising.

Thanks man =) that will be awsome tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 5 2010, 03:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Jan 5 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Thanks man =) that will be awsome tongue.gif

I sure think so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rrf
Jan 10 2010, 12:45 AM
GMC:er
Hi Pedja where is my take of your lesson =) w/ my "New" Guitar (i bought a used one)

Btw : do you know how can i change my member name ?? cause i had a few problems and changed it (to RRF) by accident and now i don´t know how to change it back :S

This post has been edited by rrf: Jan 10 2010, 12:54 AM

--------------------
Ruben Oliveira (ruben_mcn)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 10 2010, 01:29 AM
Instructor
Fantastic Ruben!
Post it in REC and include voting pool wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rrf
Jan 10 2010, 01:48 AM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 10 2010, 12:29 AM) *
Fantastic Ruben!
Post it in REC and include voting pool wink.gif

Already did .. =) did i improve ???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 10 2010, 03:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (rrf @ Jan 10 2010, 01:48 AM) *
Already did .. =) did i improve ???

You did fantastic man and you did improve between the takes for sure.

Congratulations on winning the prize in competition smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rrf
Jan 10 2010, 01:10 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 10 2010, 02:38 AM) *
You did fantastic man and you did improve between the takes for sure.

Congratulations on winning the prize in competition smile.gif

Thanks a lot Pedja =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 10 2010, 04:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rrf @ Jan 10 2010, 01:10 PM) *
Thanks a lot Pedja =)

You welcome Ruben, well deserved man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 01:34 AM
Instructor
Ruben we continue with your 2nd assignment for January. This assignment is sort of like an essay or written theory behind your current level of knowledge. This will help me totally understand where you at right now. I will give you couple of topics from which you can choose one (or more if you want to!) and write me as many things as possible about it. The deadline for this assignment is 17th of January. Here are the topics for your 2nd assignment :

1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.
2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.
3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?
4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?
5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?
6) Tell me everything you know about chord tone and tension relationship with harmony ?
7) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor scale harmony?
8) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor modes and harmony?

Remember, pick one (or more if you can do it by deadline) and write me as much as possible on given subject. I want to read and understand how you approach and understand given material.
Deadline for this assignment is 3 days from now, 17th of January. Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 17 2010, 11:43 AM
Learning Roadie
[i]1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.[/i]

Major scale has 7 notes. For a certain scale this notes can be found by using the formula TTSTTTS (where T stands for 1 step and S to a half step)

So if you want for instance the e C major scale:

I - C + 1 = D
II - D + 1 = E
III - E + ½ = F
IV - F + 1 = G
V- G + 1 = A
VI - A + 1 = B
VII - B + ½ = C

So there you have the seven notes of C Major Scale: C/D/E/F/G/A/B

Defenition OF scale degree Names :

I - Tonic (The sound from wich the scale takes its tonality and name )
II - Supertonic (Superior Above; the degree above the tonic
III - Mediant (the mediant lies midway between the two most inportant sounds of the scale - the tonic (1st ) ant the Dominat (5ft)
IV - Sub Dominant (the subdominat is under the doiminat
V - DOminant ( generates a dominating character. After the tonic, it is the stringest in the key )
VI - Sub- MEdiant ( it occupies the same position bellow the upper tonic(8th note of the scale the octave of the tonic ), as the mediant does abothe the tonic )
VII - LEading tone ( it leads the ear to expect and anticipate the sound of the tonic .

Intervals:
In this formula the T corresponds to a Major Second and the S corresponds to minor second.

The intervals in C major scale are( counting from the root ( C ) to the other notes in the scale ):

C to D = Major 2nd
C to E = Major 3rd
C to F = perfect 4th
C to G = Perfect 5th
C to A = Major 6th
C to B = Major 7th
C to C = Perfect Octave

Harmony:

You have 3rd part harmony and 4th part harmony.

In 3rd Part harmony you follow the formula: Major / minor / minor / Major / Major / minor / Diminished / Major

So the C Major 3rd part harmony is:

C Major – D minor – E minor – F Major – G Major – A minor – Bº (diminished) – C Major .

To find the notes in these chords u can use the formula 1 – 3 -5 for example to find c Major chord .. you start from C ( 1 ) than go to E ( 3) than to G ( 5) and there you have the notes from c maj chord .. if you want the notes of Bº chord you start on B (1) than go to D (3) and finally F (5). You can use this formula to find the notes of every chord i this scale.

In the 4th Part Harmony you follow the formula:

- Maj7/ min7 / min7 / maj7/ D7/ min7/ min7b5/ maj7

SO in C major scale 4th part harmony you get

- CM7/ Dm7 /Em7/ F M7 / G7 / A min 7 / B min7b5 / C M7

To find the notes in the chords you just have to had the 7th to the 3rd part chords so the formula would be 1 - 3 – 5 – 7 so for example the notes in CM7 are C(1) / E (3) /G (5) / B (7) and for another example notes in B min7b5 are B(1) D(3) F (5) and A (7).

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Jan 17 2010, 12:29 PM

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 17 2010, 01:00 PM
Learning Roadie
2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.

CADENCE is a group of chords that describe given mode. The cadence is a concluding phrase, or a phrase that suggests finality/ resolution .. Could you just tell me one thing how do I know what is the characteristic note of of a scale ?? for example in" D Dorian is major 6th which is B note the carectristic" ... does this mean that the carectristic note is allways the VI ??? or does it change from scale to scale ??

3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?

3)Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?

To find the modes of a scale I use the formula :

I Ionian ( MAJOR SCALE)
II Dorian
III Phrygian
IV Lydian
V Mixolydian
VI A eolian ( Natural Minor scale)
VII Locryian
VIII Ionian

So the modes of C major scale are:

I C Ionian ( C major Scale )
II D Dorian
III E Phrygian
IV F Lydian
V G Mixolydian
VI A Eolian ( A Natural minor)
VII B Locryian

Examples:

So D Dorian has the c major scale notes, but starting from D to D (octave ):

D / E / F / G / A / B / C / D

I- D
II- E
III- F
IV- G
V- A
VI- B
VII- C
VIII- D( octave)

So A Eolian has C major scale notes starting from A to A

I- A
II- B
III- C
IV- D
V- E
VI- F
VII- G
VIII- A(Octave)

I Don´t know much more about the modes :S

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Jan 17 2010, 09:18 PM

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 17 2010, 01:56 PM
Learning Roadie
4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?

Don´t have a clues about what this is :S

5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?

Pentatonic scales have 5 notes( pentatonic is derived from the latin PENTA wich means five ) they are the easiest to use in improvisation since they always fit... Cause they have a lot of strong notes.There are 2 types of pentatonic scales Majors and MInors

Major Pentatonic:

To get your Major pentatonic from your Major scale all you got to do is remove the IV and the VII degrees of the correspondent Major scale

Example:

C major scale:

I - C
II - D
III - E
-» IV - F
V - G
VI - A
-»VII - B

to C MAjor pentatonic Scale

I - C
II - D
III - E
V - G
VI - A

As i sayd before the pentatonic is a strong scale, cause it has 1st , 3rd and 5ft of the major scale.

Minor Pentatonics:

To get to the Minor Pentatonic you have to cut the 2nd and the 6th degree of the Natural minor Scale.

First i will explain how to get to the natural minor scale:

to get to the natural minor scale i use the formula - TSTTSTT

SO C Minor scale is

I- C + 1 = D
II-»D + 1/2 = D# or Eb
III- Eb + 1 = F
IV - F + 1 = G
V- G + 1/2 = G# or Ab
VI -»Ab +1 = A# or Bb
VII - Bb + 1 = C

So if we want to get the c pentatonic minor scale :

I - C
III - Eb
IV - F
V - G
VII - Bb

.. PArcticly wise : i know all the pentatonic boxes and caged sistem (diatonic )and I´m going to learn Diatonic 3 note per string next (w/ ivan´s lesson )..

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Jan 18 2010, 10:20 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 22 2010, 07:39 PM
Instructor
Ruben here are your remaining assignments for January.

3rd assignment :

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!

4th assignment :

- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen A minor as your chord. Now you also chose A minor to be treated as II (Dorian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from G major scale ( A , B and E minor pentatonics) over A min chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for these assignments is 31st of January! Let me know if you have any questions !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:57 PM