Finger Placement
Matt23
Mar 28 2009, 08:18 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Today when I was playing I noticed that I don't actually use my fingertips to fret the strings, I use the bit of finger just below the fingertip. It seems most logical to play with your fingertip so I was wondering if my technique was wrong. What I'd like to know is should you fret notes with your fingertip, just below your fingertip, or does it not matter.

Cheers

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vampire18
Mar 28 2009, 10:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
actually at least for me if i play with the very tip it becomes much harder to mute the strings below. but when i do fast legato parts i do use the tips. but its just me i don't know if it correct

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Mar 28 2009, 10:40 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Mar 28 2009, 10:37 PM) *
actually at least for me if i play with the very tip it becomes much harder to mute the strings below. but when i do fast legato parts i do use the tips. but its just me i don't know if it correct

That's pretty much it. It also depends on how your finger is "curved" (that is: the flesh at your fingertip). Whatever is comfortable for you, whichever position is suitable for vibrato, bending and ofc fretting, do it that way smile.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Mar 28 2009, 10:40 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2009, 11:14 PM
Instructor
Whatever is comfortable and depending on the situation you're in mate! Playing only with fingertips can indeed make muting much harder, so some kind of a balance should be found! Usually there's the rule - how you practice is how you play. So depending what gives you the best results in practice regarding finger placement, muting etc, will translate later on your playing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 29 2009, 02:58 AM
Instructor
Best results and answers will reveal when you practice and challenge yourself ! Move tempos, go to extreme ones (in both ends) and notice what your left and right hand are doing. After doing some practicing this way, your hands will build automatic positioning and approach when it comes to muting and picking.
Fingertips or no fingertips - doesn't really matter that much smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 29 2009, 04:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think your technique is right...You need to have in mind the muting part when placing fingers so your way should allow that well.If its comfortable and you don't find it limiting in any way , its the way to go.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 29 2009, 06:38 PM
Instructor
I think your technique is right mate, I have callouses allover the tip of my fingers, I mean the callous is 1cm x 1cm if you picture it.
That's because sometimes I play with the real tip and sometimes I use the part below as I sometimes use the sides of the tip. That's why the callous is that big, but the violinist for example have a bigger callous because the vibrato is made by balancing their fingers on the fret board.
What I've tried to explain by describing those things is that maybe you don't play with a little part of your finger but you use many places for many situations.

I hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:59 PM