Is This Wrong?
SonofDestiny
Jun 3 2008, 09:42 AM
GMC:er
So I just found out something... When I first hit my A-string, let it ring, then hit my B-string on the 15th fret and bend it... my A-string seems to drop some notes down... Is this a new technique I've discovered or have I blown my guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 3 2008, 09:51 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
if you have a trem bridge on your guitar then yea, bending another string elsewhere will cause the other string to drop down some, depends how sensitive your trem is (usually if they are floating bridges like the Floyd Rose ones)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Jun 3 2008, 09:53 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 3 2008, 09:58 AM
I assume you have a floating bridge to have that issue. Make sure your bridge is on a proper position compared to the body of the guitar. This will reduce this effect.
However, this effect will be always there, just less or more intense. In order to compensate it fully you have to practice the compensation. In the case you mentioned, while bending the B string you will have to bend just very slightly the A string at the same time.

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 3 2008, 09:59 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 3 2008, 10:01 AM
QUOTE (Gus @ Jun 3 2008, 09:58 AM) *
while bending the B string you will have to bend just very slightly the A string at the same time.

that wouldnt be possible on an "open" A string ringing out though, you could lean back slightly with your picking hand on the bridge to compensate but then you would also have to compensate this on the note you are bending, gets rather complicated, it is a draw back with the FR style bridges, to be honest tho its not something that should cause you major problems

This post has been edited by Smells: Jun 3 2008, 10:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 3 2008, 11:43 AM
Hmm... I think I'll take it to the guitar shop for repair anyway. There are some things wrong with this guitar.

My bridge can't take my strings, so it flips over a bit. And either my string action is low (or at least, that's what I've been told) or my frets have been erosed really badly... so now I can hardly bend normally.

I've had this guitar for 3 years. Do you think it's possible my frets are 'gone' already?

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 3 2008, 11:49 AM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jun 3 2008, 11:43 AM) *
Hmm... I think I'll take it to the guitar shop for repair anyway. There are some things wrong with this guitar.

My bridge can't take my strings, so it flips over a bit. And either my string action is low (or at least, that's what I've been told) or my frets have been erosed really badly... so now I can hardly bend normally.

I've had this guitar for 3 years. Do you think it's possible my frets are 'gone' already?

If the bridge flips over then as Gus said, it will make it worse, you need the bridge to be parallel with the body of the guitar and it wont be as bad.

Difficult to answer the fret question without seeing them, 3 years doesnt seem very long to have worn out the frets but I guess it depends on how hard you`ve been playing it in general to wear them out? not too sure on this one to be honest, hopefully someone else will jump in with an answer for you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2008, 04:31 PM
Instructor
You can tighten the bridge so it touches the body, and it not move until you bend the string to a whole step. This way you can play other notes while bending, and it will be in tune. The downside is that you'll have only down-tuning motion with the whammy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
at lights end
Jun 3 2008, 04:35 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 3 2008, 03:31 PM) *
You can tighten the bridge so it touches the body, and it not move until you bend the string to a whole step. This way you can play other notes while bending, and it will be in tune. The downside is that you'll have only down-tuning motion with the whammy.

not if it's a floating floyd. you don't want it touching the body then.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:59 AM