Progressive Rock
Mr T
Feb 13 2009, 11:22 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys. I've always enjoyed Porcupine Tree, so a few weeks back I decided to search for more bands in their genre and I came across quite a few. Riverside, Indukti and Pure Reason Revolution being my favorites so far. Anyone else enjoy these bands? And what bands should I check out also? cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 13 2009, 11:24 AM
Those bands drive me into insanity. I don't see how they can be as dull as they are. The other guitarist in my band likes them but they send me into a deep sleep. I will try and ask him for other similar bands as he listens to all that. Progressive Rock is owned by Yes and Rush anyway tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Feb 13 2009, 11:26 AM
Not sure this is exactly you're thing but you could check out the progressive death metal band called Opeth.
The actually recorded some of the stuff at Steve Wilson's (the guy in Porcupine Tree) studio.

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 13 2009, 11:28 AM
Opeth are nothing like them though to be fair. You could try his solo stuff though for sure.

Also we cover Shallow by Porcupine Tree but I can't stand the song. Definitely check out Anathema though mate. Search for Anathema - Fragile Dreams on you tube. You'll like for sure and it'll get you into their other songs.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Feb 13 2009, 11:33 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 13 2009, 11:28 AM) *
Opeth are nothing like them though to be fair. You could try his solo stuff though for sure.

Dude, that sounds like we're comparing Twisted Sister to Duran Duran smile.gif I would say that some of the Porcupine Tree stuff and some of the mellow songs by Opeth do have some similarities.

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 13 2009, 11:35 AM
QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ Feb 13 2009, 10:33 AM) *
Dude, that sounds like we're comparing Twisted Sister to Duran Duran smile.gif I would say that some of the Porcupine Tree stuff and some of the mellow songs by Opeth do have some similarities.

I Wanna Rock tongue.gif

QUOTE (gibsonmatte @ Feb 13 2009, 10:33 AM) *

Is it Deliverance or the other album starting with D that is the soft one? Damnation is it?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Feb 13 2009, 11:37 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 13 2009, 11:34 AM) *
I Wanna Rock tongue.gif

"I Believe In You" tongue.gif

Exactly, Damnation is the soft one. Insane record...

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 13 2009, 11:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 13 2009, 11:35 AM) *
I Wanna Rock tongue.gif

Is it Deliverance or the other album starting with D that is the soft one? Damnation is it?

Damnation is the soft one. smile.gif

I'm not a huge fan of either Porcupine tree or the other one mentioned, however I do like Pure Reason Revolution.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mandos
Feb 13 2009, 11:47 AM
I love Porcupine Tree. I just love how Steven Wilson writes songs and melodies.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 13 2009, 11:51 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Mandos @ Feb 13 2009, 11:47 AM) *
I love Porcupine Tree. I just love how Steven Wilson writes songs and melodies.

I'm fond of them too, for the same reasons you mention. The songs comes packed with a feeling or two.

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Feb 13 2009, 12:08 PM
Porcupine Tree are nice, as is Wilsons side project "human" (think that 's what it's called). Otherwise check out some of my favourites..they may not all be rprogressive rock but they all have progressive elements in them..

Oceansize
Thrice
Sikth
The Mars Volta
Cult of Luna
Dredg
Helms Alee
Isis
Red Sparowes
Incubus
Radiohead
Muse
Misery Signals

+Quote Post
Mr T
Feb 13 2009, 12:09 PM
I enjoy Opeth, should listen to them more often though. Also think Anathema is great. Discovered them through "A fine day to exit" a couple of years ago. Bought quite a few of their albums and "The Silent Enigma" is definitely my favourite.

As for Porcupine Tree, I only knew the last 3 albums. But lately I've been listening to "Up the downstair" and "The Sky Moves Sideways". Those albums really sound very different from their recent work, but I really enjoy listening to those as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 13 2009, 02:02 PM
Instructor
I love progressive rock.
One of my favorite prog bands is Spock's Beard, before Neal Morse left...
I now really enjoy Neal Morse's solo work.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 13 2009, 02:03 PM
Neal Morse is great biggrin.gif Although he does mention god and religion in every song laugh.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Feb 13 2009, 02:04 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Mandos
Feb 13 2009, 02:19 PM
Spock's Beard are amazing. I really love the "Snow" album and some of my favourite songs are "Thoughts", "Gibberish", "The Light" and many more. smile.gif

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 13 2009, 02:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Try the album SMPTe by Transatlantic

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 13 2009, 02:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Artemus @ Feb 13 2009, 08:34 AM) *
Try the album SMPTe by Transatlantic

Yeah, that is one of my favorites too!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Mr T
Feb 14 2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check out these bands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 14 2009, 07:32 PM
Instructor
Riverside are GREAT! Got 2 of their albums on my regular playlist.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 14 2009, 08:27 PM
Instructor
If you like progressive music I higly recommend this site

www.progarchives.com

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:48 AM