> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Sidthekid's Thread, for Gab's Army
sidthekid
Sep 15 2016, 06:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
9 coins awesome!! biggrin.gif Cool, I am listening to SRV right now, really like Texas Flood and Scuttle Buttin. Also listening to jams of the masters on youtube.

I'm also thinking of trying a REC take, is there any you'd recommend for my level? I liked this lesson a lot https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/80s-Hard-Rock/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2016, 03:32 PM
Instructor
Ok mate, this is the new assignment. We will continue with blues now covering an amazing blues players called Kenny Wayne Shepherd (very influenced by SRV). I also added The Tasty Etude which could be a good first step into the direction of the lesson that you've shared. What do you think?

ASSIGNMENT #4:

Goals:

- Melodic Playing
- More blues phrasing!

TASK 1:

- Work on this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Kenny-...pherd-Phrasing/
- Improvise over the backing track.

TASK 2:

- Learn this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

Exam and deadline:

By September 29th you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing the blues lesson (4 coins)
- A video improvising over the blues lesson (2 coins)
- A video playing The Tasty Etude (4 coins)

Each of this videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Sep 28 2016, 06:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man!
Yes, the Tasty Etude is really a very tasty lesson, I really liked the notes and feel of the licks.

Here is the KWS lesson -

Here is the improvisation for the KWS lesson, it is a bit haphazard but I managed to get some good licks in there -

By the way I've learned that 80s hard rock lesson as well, can post it if you want smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 30 2016, 07:59 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Your work on these tasks is very promising. I think that you've done a killer job, and I think that there is still more to get from this lessons so I'd like to extend the deadline to give you some more days to work on details.

Please focus on:

- TIMING
- Bending
- and other expression details.

for each of the videos (including your improvisation).

The new deadline is October 10th.

Ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Sep 30 2016, 11:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks! Haha, I had a feeling that you would ask for these lessons again, I can do better I know wink.gif I'll try to improve the timing and bends more!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Instructor
Great! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 4 2016, 03:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, I'm trying them again, I'm not really getting which parts to improve, for timing and bends and generally. Could you give some specifics to focus on?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 5 2016, 08:32 PM
Instructor
Sure!

Timing: On Tasty Etude: the first 00:30 seconds are not tight. I can't mark a specific phrase, the whole thing has notes or groups of notes that are like "hurried". Then also at 00:37, 00:38, and from 1:01 to 1:09.
On KWS: at 00:47 and from 00:53 to the end.

Bending: On KWS: 00:05, 0:19, 00:23, 00:28, 00:38, 00:45 and 00;49.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 18 2016, 07:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Gabriel!

Here's the redo of the Kenny Wayne Phrasing lesson -

Well, I totally missed the deadline, I was a bit busy mainly because I bought a Yamaha keyboard recently, and started learning piano too through online videos, so didn't give as much time. But I hope I get good at keyboard since that will help in harmony and improve my ear!

I notice that I procrastinate and leave the recording of the videos until the last 2 days before the deadline. So I practice the tunes even less, I'm sorry sad.gif one thing that could help is if you give the deadline in steps, so if its 1st Oct and you give 3 videos, I have to submit 1 by 5th October and 2 by 10th October, like that.

Can you allow me to skip recording the Tasty Etude re-do for next time? (I'm tired of practicing that tune I guess biggrin.gif) I'll record it again later, for now can you give something new? I don't know why my excitement reduced ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2016, 09:37 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

good! The lesson needs some polishing regarding timing, bending and vibrato but I think that we can move forward. Motivation is the main goal!

I think that your idea of deadlines can really work. About what to work... are there some songs and lessons that you have in mind?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 20 2016, 09:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
I really like Rocket Queen by GnR and want to be able to improvise in its progressions. Also, learning Tasty Etude I think improved my improvisation, I generally play in the pentatonic but I'm able to play a bit in the major scale now in that position. I just want to have better melody right now, not going for speed, but to know which scales fit which chords and progressions etc

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2016, 07:38 AM
Instructor
ASSIGNMENT #5:

Goals:

- GN'R Song
- Improvising (Penta + Dorian)

TASK 1:

- Learn the first 46 seconds of Rocket Queen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TnL-LJKWE0

TASK 2:

- Improvise over the first 46 seconds of Rocket Queen using Minor Pentatonic Scale (F#m) and Dorian Mode (F#m)

Exam and deadline:

By October 31th you'll have to share 3 videos:

-A video playing the first 46 seconds of Rocket Queen.
- A Video improvising over it.

Feel free to submit the first video some days before the deadline.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 27 2016, 06:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Gab!
I like this assignment! At the same time its really difficult too, I hope my transcribing is atleast 50% similar to the original biggrin.gif

(I have no idea how that whooshing sound around 0:22 is made, some slide maybe)

I've also made an improvisation but it is only F#m pentatonic right now, no Dorian. I'll make another improv video, how does this one sound?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 28 2016, 06:17 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great job! It's absolute brillliant the fact that you've learn this one by ear. I'll send you some tabs via PM to let you adjust some little details that you need to fix in order to play everything correctly.

Regarding the improvisation, this is a good first take. I think that you still need to experiment with this in order to get more defined phrases. By now you seem to be exploring the scale, now it's time to say something. Incorporating some licks from lessons can be also a good idea.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/sl...esson=2;forum=1

And also check out these licks:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43287

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Oct 29 2016, 10:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, thanks alot for those links and the PM! I'll do the proper recording as well as the improv, I am just going through all the Slash-style videos and so need a few more days, is that OK?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 28 2016, 05:17 PM) *
By now you seem to be exploring the scale, now it's time to say something.

What do I say, I don't have anything to say mellow.gif I don't feel creative while improvising/write riffs/songs anymore (I used to) because I fear no-one has the time to listen to it. That's something to work on outside this site I guess biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 30 2016, 05:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sidthekid @ Oct 29 2016, 06:33 PM) *
Hey, thanks alot for those links and the PM! I'll do the proper recording as well as the improv, I am just going through all the Slash-style videos and so need a few more days, is that OK?

What do I say, I don't have anything to say mellow.gif I don't feel creative while improvising/write riffs/songs anymore (I used to) because I fear no-one has the time to listen to it. That's something to work on outside this site I guess biggrin.gif

Can I recommend a book? smile.gif

http://kennywerner.com/effortless-mastery

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Nov 4 2016, 10:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Wow, just wow. Thanks a lot for the recommendation man. That book felt really good to read, it answered many questions/doubts that were in my head and even some that I didn't have, which I might have had later so its saved me time. Its definitely something to read again and again, I had almost forgotten that playing the guitar makes me feel happy, it had become all goals and technique and no time for enjoying the sound biggrin.gif

Let me tell you a story-
I remember one time playing the guitar that was the best feeling I ever had, it was more than 6 years ago but I still remember it clearly. I had listened to Crossroads by Clapton and was going through the tabs for the song. I was all alone at home. I finally came to this electrifying lick -

E|------17------17----------|--17-------17----------|--17-------17----------|
B|----------19-------20b---|-------20------20b-----|-------20------20b----|
G|-----------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
D|-----------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
A|-----------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|
E|-----------------------------|--------------------------|--------------------------|

You know, a classic repeating blues-rock lick. As soon as my hands played it, my head just filled with emotion. I literally got high and dizzy with happiness. I put the guitar down and ran around for 20 seconds, then that feeling went away. It was like tasting electricity, and I haven't ever gotten such an intense feeling since, I hope it'll come back someday smile.gif

Here's the intro to Rocket Queen again, thanks to better tabs. I'm going through the Slash-style videos, but still can't get a decent improvisation for this intro right now, I'll post one soon.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 8 2016, 03:02 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

beautiful post! I'm glad to know that the book really captured you. It's one of the best books that I've ever read. And yes, it is something to be read many times, every time your forget it. biggrin.gif

This is the energy that you need in order to play guitar so I think that now we are on track.

Please keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Nov 11 2016, 06:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Gabriel! I made some more improv videos, I'll post multiple takes here so you know the level I'm at right now. I get the feeling that the song has underlying chord changes based on which I should play different 'boxes' of the F#m pentatonic, or something, getting different sounds for different parts of the song is something that I'm not getting.

Please help me improve this! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2016, 06:35 AM
Instructor
Ok mate, I think that you need to get into some rocker licks and patterns that will give you some phrases that will be your starting points for improvisation. We have lots of great Slash lessons here that you can work. But I would suggest you to give a try to the concepts shared on this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ise-like-slash/

It's an old lesson, but it includes many tools that can be applied over the song that you are playing

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:37 AM