3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Youtube + Guitar Lessons=illegal, They almost took tabs away from us - now they're heading for the v
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 7 2007, 10:41 PM
GMC Founder
I don't know if this has been discussed but I find it quite interesting. It's also a good illustration to why we can't teach famous songs here without first clearing (=buying) the copyrights.

From what I understand by clicking the links provided in the article - all famous songs lessons have been removed from youtube - it's unbelievable! blink.gif

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=11778602

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 7 2007, 10:45 PM
GMC:er
I saw this earlier, its outrageous, its like the attempts to close the tab sites... its just not cool. Who is benefiting from this?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 7 2007, 10:45 PM
he taught me pinch harmonics!!!

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 7 2007, 10:49 PM
I dont quite understand?

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 7 2007, 11:08 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 7 2007, 11:41 PM) *
I don't know if this has been discussed but I find it quite interesting. It's also a good illustration to why we can't teach famous songs here without first clearing (=buying) the copyrights.

From what I understand by clicking the links provided in the article - all famous songs lessons have been removed from youtube - it's unbelievable! blink.gif

Whew... the music industry is really trying their best to ruin for people. I hope it all end up with them biting their own tail.

About song lessons on this site, is it very expensive with copyrights or could there be sort of a platina account with access to these?

So where's does the music industry draw limit:
Can a techer learn a pupil a song one on one?
Can a techer learn a group of pupils a song?

I've rumbled about this before. What they do is really scary and if they are allowed to keep on going at this pace soon enough they will stop tribute and cover bands.

I'm not buying another record. I'm no longer supporting someone who's working against me mad.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 7 2007, 11:10 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 7 2007, 02:08 PM) *
Whew... the music industry is really trying their best to ruin for people. I hope it all end up with them biting their own tail.

About song lessons on this site, is it very expensive with copyrights or could there be sort of a platina account with access to these?
So where's does the music industry draw limit:
Can a techer learn a pupil a song one on one?
Can a techer learn a group of pupils a song?
I've rumbled about this before. What they do is really scary and if they are allowed to keep on going at this pace soon enough they will stop tribute and cover bands.
I'm not buying another record. I'm no longer supporting someone who's working against me mad.gif

Thats the Spirit! biggrin.gif

-John

Edited - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 7 2007, 11:13 PM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 7 2007, 11:13 PM
QUOTE (Layzer @ Jul 7 2007, 04:45 PM) *
he taught me pinch harmonics!!!

Me to. Its sad. He was kind of goofy, but he was a great teacher!! Maybe we can get him on here or something?? Since he got screwed there!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Evan
Jul 7 2007, 11:27 PM
Those fools at the record companies are just way out of touch with reality. This is just like what they've been trying to do with shutting down tab sites for along time now.

With the tabs, they felt like they were losing money because with a free tab online, I guess they were afraid no one would buy the official tab book for the song. -But you want to know the real problem is? Those books are very often WRONG. -And I'm not talking about some little mistakes here and there -I'm talking about songs transcribed for he completely wrong tuning, solos not transcribed, entire parts missing, etc. As long as people want to see correct tabs and the copyright holder continues to publish poor quality garbage that we can't use, there's going to be a demand for the unofficial tabs. -Beacuse of this, their attempt to stop these tabs has been a failure that has just brought them more bad press and anger from the same people who's money is paying their bills.

Do you see these free video lessons taking away business from the record companies? No- I'm willing to bet that out of the hundreds, or maybe one thousand or more vidoes they just removed, that there's only a handful of songs on that list that they have published official video lessons for.

My opinion is that if you want to charge money for a lesson, the record company should say fine we can work with you if you want to do that- just give us x percent of what you charged for your lesson and we'll be happy. But instead, they are not willing to compromise. Their greed is too great for them to let the instructor make even one penny.

When did it become illegal to provide original research or instructional material -for free -for the sole pupose of education?

Yes, I'm aware that you can pay for the rights to do a lesson with a copyrighted song right now, but what I'm saying is that they need to do it on fair terms- people wouldn't be complaining if the rates they're asking now were even close to fair.

This post has been edited by Evan: Jul 7 2007, 11:32 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 7 2007, 11:35 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Evan @ Jul 8 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Do you see these free video lessons taking away business from the record companies?

I wouldn't be surprised if these free video lessons could even increase record sales.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 7 2007, 11:51 PM
This is redicilous.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 7 2007, 11:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 7 2007, 06:51 PM) *
This is redicilous.

Yes, very distasteful ....

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 8 2007, 12:12 AM
What I REALLY dont get is why they remove tabs! Most tabs on the internet are not even correct god damnit!
I guess, if I for instance tab Run to the hills, but that I just tab it 1 fret higher, its technically not the same song anymore. I wonder if that would work smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 7 2007, 06:12 PM) *
What I REALLY dont get is why they remove tabs! Most tabs on the internet are not even correct god damnit!
I guess, if I for instance tab Run to the hills, but that I just tab it 1 fret higher, its technically not the same song anymore. I wonder if that would work smile.gif

Yea, ive always thought about that. If i take someone elses song. And just move teh noes up one fret. Or a down a string or something. Would it still be there song?? Or would it be mine, just not original??

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Rock
Jul 8 2007, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 7 2007, 10:41 PM) *

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. They should take it as a compliment that there are people like us who are interested in learning their songs. Unfortunately, it is all about the money.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 8 2007, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 7 2007, 11:16 PM) *
Yea, ive always thought about that. If i take someone elses song. And just move teh noes up one fret. Or a down a string or something. Would it still be there song?? Or would it be mine, just not original??

Yeah they shouldnt be allowed to remove it then, its technically not the same song if its in a different key! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 8 2007, 12:26 AM
How are the people like Justin and David on the free guitar sites reacting you might ask ?

Here is what the angry instructors are saying to the argument of taking there videos off of youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf4iy9uIO34

edit. Im finding a ton of term oil on this subject , and this piece of poop is making me even more mad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF84jdSX9sM&NR=1

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jul 8 2007, 12:48 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 8 2007, 02:50 AM
hey! thats the same guy who taught me pinch harmonics!:(

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jul 8 2007, 02:52 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 8 2007, 03:03 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 8 2007, 11:50 AM) *
hey! thats the same guy who taught me pinch harmonics!:(

Yep i also learnt some pinch harmonics and some other stuff from this guy. It is a real shame what has happened.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 8 2007, 03:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 8 2007, 04:03 AM) *
Yep i also learnt some pinch harmonics and some other stuff from this guy. It is a real shame what has happened.

Horror

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jul 8 2007, 03:26 AM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 8 2007, 01:19 AM) *
Yeah they shouldnt be allowed to remove it then, its technically not the same song if its in a different key! smile.gif

Sadly, that argument doesn't hold sad.gif It may technically be a different song, but copyright includes the exclusive right of the copyright holder to create "derivative works" too. Which includes adapting a novel to a stage play, transposing a song to a different key - and also (addressing the other common objection) writing tabs which aren't correct - as long as they're "similar enough". Then there's the gray, philosophical zone of determining how many notes (or intervals) to change before it's not derivative anymore. smile.gif Of course transposing a song a semitone up makes all the notes different, but saying it's a different song won't hold up in court wink.gif

Under the current legislation, tabs as well as guitar lessons of copyrighted works are illegal. Whether that's how it should be - and whether it does the music industry any good to shut down tab sites and guitar lessons - is another matter.

Needless to say, I don't think it's how it should be, and I don't think it does the music industry - much less the actual artists - any good. I also think the idea of software patents is the worst thing to happen to progress in the past 30 years. Yet that's how things are. unsure.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:43 AM