2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Practicing When Your Sick !, GMC'ers discuss how being ill effects there practice routine
mattacuk
Jan 26 2008, 02:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
I thought this would be a really interesting discussion smile.gif Ok so right now I just have a common cold , what women call "man flu" in the UK laugh.gif laugh.gif

When I get man flu I really find it hard to concentrate on anything. Alot if not all of my practice routine includes speed picking and good timeing and I totally loose my "mojo" when it comes to practicing when sick. Im typically very strict on myself with regards to correct practice and keeping to my routine.

So I would like to know if you guys and gals practice to the same standard when your ill ? or do you take a few days out to rest and recover?

thanks !! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Duncan
Jan 26 2008, 03:05 PM
GMC:er
When my appendix thought it would be a good idea to explode I had to be in hospital for two weeks. For most of that time I couldn't really stand up. My Dad bought my acoustic guitar after the operation, and it was probably the only thing that got me through the two worst weeks of my life.

So maybe if you have an acoustic, just relax and play some classics on that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 26 2008, 03:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't like playing when I'm sick..If often gets me even worse after the practice session..I just take it easy and try to recover as fast as possible.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
timono
Jan 26 2008, 03:13 PM
when i'm sick, I always try to play but because i can't concetrate i always get annoyed mad.gif tongue.gif so i stop pretty quick after starting... and go back to bed tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 26 2008, 03:13 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Good luck getting better Matt! I've been ill this past week, i reccomend picking up a bottle of night nurse, one dose before bed put me away for about 12 hours...that was an awesome sleep and i felt magic by the morning. I didnt practise at all whe i was sick tho sad.gif

+Quote Post
Bluefinger
Jan 26 2008, 03:19 PM
I do only two things when a flu hit me. Watching TV or sleeping. That's it. Hope that you recover soon.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 26 2008, 03:22 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Don't be too hard on yourself Matt, drop the level down a lot and just take it easy. You may even find that after coming back to practicing after a week of little or no practice that you are a little better - gives thing time to click in your brain when you aren;t assulting it every day with practice. I often notice this after returning form business trips.

And of course, get well soon mate!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 26 2008, 03:25 PM
Instructor
When you are sick - don't over-do it with practicing. Make it 1 hour if you can pull it off. If not - nothing bad will happen. It's better to relax and have a good sleep because that will make you heal much faster smile.gif When you are back to normal hit it into overdrive and catch up with what you lost and that's it smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 26 2008, 03:59 PM
Instructor
Healthy man has many wishes - sick man has only one wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 26 2008, 04:09 PM
Lets go fishing!
Wow guys some great responses here. Some especially good advices from each of you biggrin.gif Ok I have decided to put it down just for a few days and sleep it off !! and I think maybe eat lots of choclate and get fat unsure.gif wink.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif blink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Duncan
Jan 26 2008, 04:09 PM
If I'm sick I don't practise as near as hard as I would when I'm well. Infact I probably don't practise at all. I just play my acoustic.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jan 26 2008, 05:10 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Jan 26 2008, 08:09 AM) *
I don't like playing when I'm sick..If often gets me even worse after the practice session..I just take it easy and try to recover as fast as possible.. wink.gif

yeah same here, my playing is horrible when sick, so i just dont play and study theory biggrin.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 27 2008, 12:35 AM
Instructor
My case is a bit odd.
I usually get wet(sweaty) after real and hard playing,practicing or gig,doesn't matter.
So when I'm sick,cold,flu,high body temperature etc
I keep on practicing until I'm all wet cause it lowers body temperature.
Then I get quick shover and back to bed.
Not sure if this routine work for everyone but give it a shot Matt.

And wish you fast recovery tho!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 27 2008, 12:46 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Jan 26 2008, 09:13 AM) *
Good luck getting better Matt! I've been ill this past week, i reccomend picking up a bottle of night nurse, one dose before bed put me away for about 12 hours...that was an awesome sleep and i felt magic by the morning. I didnt practise at all whe i was sick tho sad.gif

I would love to have me a night nurse! laugh.gif I can only Imagine whats in that stuff tongue.gif

Back to point, Do just that Matt. Take it easy for a few days. A little rest ain't ever hurt nobody.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 27 2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor
i think the its better to take a rest then turn to your practice other wise it depend on how long you are sick

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 27 2008, 08:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 26 2008, 04:09 PM) *
and I think maybe eat lots of choclate

Eating lots of chocolate is always a good idea! laugh.gif

If I were you I would just play a little bit every day, but just for fun, playing things or improvising some scales you enjoy, but nothing too demanding, because when you are ill the body has its habilities really diminished... and you might end up getting angry if you push yourself as if you were OK.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
erik
Jan 27 2008, 08:25 PM
When I'm sick I pretty much watch TV all day.. Why play guitar if it makes you feel bad?

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 27 2008, 10:23 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't practice at all when i'am it just makes me worse i still have to work regardless so practicing goes out the window have not had a day off ill in 6 years thats the problem with being self employed sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
hope your better soon

(PS I you have proper flu u cant even get out of bed let alone play guitar laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif )

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 28 2008, 09:43 AM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 26 2008, 03:59 PM) *
Healthy man has many wishes - sick man has only one wink.gif

I liked that one!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 28 2008, 12:16 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (erik @ Jan 27 2008, 07:25 PM) *
When I'm sick I pretty much watch TV all day.. Why play guitar if it makes you feel bad?

Ahhh thats just what Im doing today smile.gif I definatly think it does the brain good to have a few days to process what its learnt for sure smile.gif This morning I have watch Jerry Springer - what an awful show. And right now Mythbusters on Discovery - now that is a cool show wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:34 PM