Harmonics, How to create one
JuanMV
Jul 17 2008, 01:24 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could shed some light on how to create a harmonic while playing a song. I don't know whether this has a specific name, but you can listen to the sound I'm talking about in, for example, Steve Ray Vaughan's studio version of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, seconds 51 to 54 specifically. I’m not uploading the song as I don’t know whether we are allowed to do it, I guess not, but let me know if we can, and I will upload that amazing version.

Thanks,
Juan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 17 2008, 01:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
Is the video on youtube? There are various kind of harmonics. Natural, semiharmonics, pinch harmonics, tapped harmonics etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 17 2008, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I think he is doing Natural harmonics where you just touch the string lightly with your finger you dont fret it

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
JuanMV
Jul 17 2008, 01:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (superize @ Jul 16 2008, 09:29 PM) *
I think he is doing Natural harmonics where you just touch the string lightly with your finger you dont fret it

Yes, natural harmonics is what I'm talking about, is there a specific technique we should try to follow?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 17 2008, 01:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
This here is done at the 19th fret, because I couldn't do it otherwise with my webcam. The way to do it is the same on all other frets.

Notice how I do not press down on the frets, but rather hold my finger on the strings.

It is easiest to do on the 5th, 7th and 12th fret. And of course 17th and 19th and 24th.

EDIT: and I do nothing but pick the strings regularly with my pick.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 17 2008, 01:49 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_28.wmv ( 466.25K ) Number of downloads: 162

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 17 2008, 02:28 AM
Instructor
Just touch the string lightly above fret and pick the string, letting go the string with left hand almost instantly. it is fairly easy, try it several times.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JuanMV
Jul 17 2008, 03:27 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks guys! Caelumamittendum, your video is awesome, thanks alot! Thanks Ivan for the explanation.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 17 2008, 12:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
No problem! Have to use my new webcam for something, I geuss :-) Just hoped it helped somewhat smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 17 2008, 01:44 PM
Instructor
No problem man, we're here to help smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 19 2008, 06:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Wiki!!! just search for harmonic in the wiki and you'll get a big article with theory about it, and also how to make them!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:34 AM