Music Examples Without Chords Etc
richardb
Jan 13 2012, 01:54 AM
GMC:er
Hi, I am new to the forum and new to guitars, I bought a cheap tongue.gif electric guitar

in December with the intention to buy a better quality one once I

understood better what features to go for cool.gif and when I have more funds rolleyes.gif

I am teaching myself to play the electric guitar using material here

at GMC. Before moving to more advanced stuff such as chords mellow.gif

I would like to learn to play some music which just utilizes ordinary

notes, ie no chords, no bends, no pull offs, etc biggrin.gif

I dont know my way around the forum and may even be posting in

the wrong forum tongue.gif , but I know GMC has a lot of example music uploaded.

Can people direct me to specific examples of music in tab notation

which only use ordinary notes. If you know the example to be entirely

in some specific scale please point this out smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 02:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi again. smile.gif

There's a nice lesson which involves playing single notes in C major scale here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-C-Major-Scale/

And of course, you can search for other lessons or search for tablatures of songs that contain melodies you want to play. For example, I remember that one of the first melodies I learned on the guitar was Nirvana's rendition of the song "The Man who Sold The World". smile.gif

But don't be afraid of chords and think of them as advanced stuff because they really aren't. biggrin.gif Once you start practicing them they become much easier and later they become totally natural. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 13 2012, 02:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 13 2012, 11:09 AM
Instructor
Hello Richard welcome aboard! smile.gif

Here's my favorite lesson of that style: John Frusciante Style Lesson from Gabriel.

This lesson is also quite nice too:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...dic-solo-in-gm/

If you're interested in learning scales systematically (i.e. learn all 5 boxes of pentatonic scale), feel free to check out my Pentatonic Workshop Lesson 1.

All the lessons have tabs and guitar pro files, so it shouldn't be a problem. If you need anything, let us know! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
richardb
Jan 13 2012, 03:28 PM
ok, I've had a look now at the following 2 videos:

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 13 2012, 01:48 AM) *
There's a nice lesson which involves playing single notes in C major scale here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-C-Major-Scale/

and

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 13 2012, 10:09 AM) *
Here's my favorite lesson of that style: John Frusciante Style Lesson from Gabriel.

I noticed that with both, that on the long notes they rub the string, is that how you are supposed to play

the long notes, or is that a specific effect?

also sometimes they use 2 or 3 fingers to do this, does that affect the sound or is it just that its less effort

by chance than using the 1 finger?

with the first quoted video above, earlier in the video is he strumming multiple strings?

He would seem to be fretting just 1 string at a time, but seems to strum several,

is that just an optional way of playing eg his playing style,

the second quoted video seems to strum individual notes,

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 13 2012, 04:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (richardb @ Jan 13 2012, 03:28 PM) *
ok, I've had a look now at the following 2 videos:
and
I noticed that with both, that on the long notes they rub the string, is that how you are supposed to play
the long notes, or is that a specific effect?
also sometimes they use 2 or 3 fingers to do this, does that affect the sound or is it just that its less effort
by chance than using the 1 finger?

The "rubbing" is called vibrato. It's used, well - to vibrate the strings biggrin.gif It just makes the sound better and more interesting than just to let it ring. Vibrato is an essential tool for every guitarist and it is great that you noticed it at this stage! biggrin.gif Many experienced players who can play very fast have weak vibrato and it prevents them to be even more expressive. Keep paying attention to vibrato and try to find out ways where you can use it. You already noticed the most used case - on the end of melodies, but there is much more! biggrin.gif Also there are different kinds of vibrato, each with a purpose.

And of course, you should check Ben's almighty Vibrato Odyssey (scroll to the bottom and you'll see the lessons):
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Ben-Higgins/

with the first quoted video above, earlier in the video is he strumming multiple strings?
He would seem to be fretting just 1 string at a time, but seems to strum several,
is that just an optional way of playing eg his playing style,
the second quoted video seems to strum individual notes,

Hmm... I don't think he's strumming more than one string, maybe it just looks like that?
However, you can play on one string while strumming other strings by muting other strings, but don't worry about that now. For now just play one string at a time. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2012, 05:15 PM
Instructor
hey man! welcome to the site!! Great to know that you are working on my Frusciante style lesson! smile.gif
As Dinaga said that technique that you are talking about is Vibrato and Ben's Vibrato Odissey is the best lesson here to master it!

Here you can find some lessons for Alternate Picking technique at levels 1 and 2. This lessons will only include single note tunes since.

http://tinyurl.com/7lzye52

and remember that we have a beginner's corner.. so if you decide to start working on chords, these are the lessons for you!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...ginners-Corner/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
richardb
Jan 15 2012, 03:31 AM
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 13 2012, 03:30 PM) *
The "rubbing" is called vibrato. It's used, well - to vibrate the strings biggrin.gif It just makes the sound better and more interesting than just to let it ring. Vibrato is an essential tool for every guitarist and it is great that you noticed it at this stage! biggrin.gif Many experienced players who can play very fast have weak vibrato and it prevents them to be even more expressive. Keep paying attention to vibrato and try to find out ways where you can use it. You already noticed the most used case - on the end of melodies, but there is much more! biggrin.gif Also there are different kinds of vibrato, each with a purpose.

And of course, you should check Ben's almighty Vibrato Odyssey (scroll to the bottom and you'll see the lessons):
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Ben-Higgins/

I didnt realize that vibrato was a fretting technique ohmy.gif
I have Guitar Rig 4 LE which has a "vibrato" option, (and a reverb option)

if you select vibrato then it has 2 variable controls for speed and intensity. But then the vibrato is
applied to all the notes including background hum,
I have used that sometimes when practising the A minor pentatonic.

I was going to upload an example but found that the effect isnt present in the recording from
Guitar Rig mad.gif

I am someone who prefers analogue technology, thats what intrigues me about the electric guitar
that it is electronic but it can be entirely analogue technology including analogue electronics.
The idea of generating music using electromagnetism is like something from Tesla or Jules Vernes! cool.gif

as soon as I have the funds I want to get a valve based amp-speaker box and maybe some
pedals, if I understood the salesman in a guitar shop correctly, their cheapest such valve based box
was the Fender champ 600 at 159 quid. I am thinking also of getting the "deacon strat copy kit"
guitar at 139 quid. The guy demonstrated valve based amp versus solid state and the valve
based sound was vastly better, it sounded like hearing some of the legendary groups playing.

I am more interested in the single note techniques such as the vibrato in the above videos and
also eg bends rather than the chords: I prefer the really clear sounds, and these wavering
sounds are particularly interesting because they are both totally clear and also seamlessly
change tone.

I asked at a guitar showroom about an analogue alternative for vibrato and the salesman said
there are "pedals" with such, they had several pedals in some kind of rail construct
each with completely different effects.

In another shop the guy said that some effects can be done with the "whammy bar", I dont know
if that is the official jargon for this but its the rotating
metal handle on some guitars, this guitar has a whammy bar, but it seems to have no effect on
the sound! The guy demonstrated the whammy bar, making these smooth twanging sounds,
but maybe he was doing the effects with
the fretting and pretending it was the whammy bar! biggrin.gif

I was asking about effects such as one hears in "perfect" by "fairground attraction" from
between 2:00 minutes to 2:10 minutes into the track (on the CD version I have here),
which I would call "talking guitar", that part of the track seems to have a lot of notes
played with interesting effects

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 13 2012, 03:30 PM) *
Hmm... I don't think he's strumming more than one string, maybe it just looks like that?
However, you can play on one string while strumming other strings by muting other strings, but don't worry about that now. For now just play one string at a time. smile.gif

its difficult to be certain, but in one part of the video I thought I could see a string vibrating different from the
one being fretted, but maybe that was an after effect of a fret on that other string? mellow.gif

+Quote Post
richardb
Jan 15 2012, 06:00 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 13 2012, 04:15 PM) *
hey man! welcome to the site!! Great to know that you are working on my Frusciante style lesson! smile.gif

its a very cool video! cool.gif

its how I wish I could play rolleyes.gif

out of curiosity, what is the equipment you are using in the video?

when I asked in a guitar shop about "talking guitar" the guy mentioned about vibrato and tremolo,

is tremolo a fretting technique (or can it be a fretting technique)?

can you give a link to a video of tremolo?

Here you can find some lessons for Alternate Picking technique at levels 1 and 2. This lessons will only include single note tunes since.

http://tinyurl.com/7lzye52

and remember that we have a beginner's corner.. so if you decide to start working on chords, these are the lessons for you!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...ginners-Corner/

ok, I am finding chords particularly problematic, that looks very comprehensive coverage of chords smile.gif

when I first bought the guitar in December, I was fantasizing about the stuff I would play,

holding the guitar neck high in the air, sliding forwards on my knees towards the rapturous crowd,

with Phil Collins working his drumkit at an enormous distance on an elevated platform in a huge spotlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wwJUZCfpuI

Phil would be at full speed with his drumsticks doing his own thing,

and the singer from cockney rebel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxoke4yuWlI

would be on vocals, the frenzied fans would be far below us out of sight in the darkness with their

fanshirts and hologrammed tickets, it would be at some hot venue in London

tongue.gif

I didnt know about fretting yet and thought it was all done by strumming biggrin.gif

but I then found that it was a challenge to even play 2 notes if they are on different strings as

you have to use both hands simultaneously doing completely different (but coordinated) actions.

if I tried the first box of A minor pentatonic, it was continuous mistakes everywhere mad.gif

I then began fantasizing about being able to play 2 notes not on the same string tongue.gif

and then realized I should just practise the first box up to the first string change,

as string change was the

major hurdle. ie the first 3 notes

until that was mastered. Then I started to progress, after 2 days I had the

first box, and several days later had all 5 boxes reasonably under control.

With each session I find I make mistakes for the first few minutes of fretting,

but then there are few errors, thus the first few minutes of fretting is

to warm up. I find I have to do 3 things simultaneously: left-hand,

right-hand and brain, the complexity of this causes the mistakes.

especially the left and right hand.

if I dont play for several days then I make even more mistakes,

but after a few minutes my hands are warmed up and no more

mistakes,

I then moved to chords and its a lot of effort to just play a chord with no other

notes. But each time I try it seems to be becoming easier. F major for several

days was in fact impossible: the one finger doing the 2 notes, I couldnt get

both notes to play properly.

for the chords you have to place 3 different fingers at 3 different strings at 3 different frets,

and then also strum with the other hand omitting some strings,

that is very highly complex,

my fantasy now is to be able to play 2 notes, where the second one is a chord huh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:51 AM