Scariest Journeys ?
Ben Higgins
Mar 11 2012, 11:51 AM
Instructor
What's the scariest journey you've ever been on ?

It can be in a car, on a plane, boat.. anything... wink.gif

My scariest journeys have always been in cars with drivers who were not paying attention. The 2 scariest were:

When the driver didn't see a car slow down to turn right.. he saw it at the last minute and swerved around him (on the inside) and went up an enbankment and back onto the road again. He managed it (somehow) but I didn't trust him from then on. I never saw him again.

The second was returning from London after seeing Yngwie Malmsteen. The driver nearly crashed into another car at a roundabout because he was looking at a girl riding a bike.
Later, on the motorway, he nearly missed our exit junction and he swerved off the motorway at the last minute after I pointed this out to him.

Nice wink.gif

So, how about you ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Mar 11 2012, 11:59 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 11 2012, 06:51 AM) *
I didn't trust him from then on. I never saw him again.
Nice wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Yes, that is certainly one way to keep it from happening again!

My scariest was on a 747 coming back from Okinawa. Some light came on in the cockpit and we were diverted to Tokyo to land (we were on our way to Anchorage,AK). We had to dump thousands of gallons/ pounds/ whatever of fuel because we were too heavy for the length of the runway.
Many fire engines chasing us down the runway......just like the movies! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Mar 11 2012, 12:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
In New Zealand, they drive on the wrong side of the road, that's crazy rolleyes.gif

Driving with some friends in NZ, the driver (danish) ended up taking the wrong lane out of a roundabout.
This resulted in us going against traffic, and this lane and the one we were supposed to take were divided by grass and trees.
Nothing happened, but we had to stear among some trees to get back on track.

The most damage I've done to myself is driving my bicycle as a kid

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Mar 11 2012, 12:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 11 2012, 12:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
when I was 17,I crossed the street past a car that had stopped for me and into the next lane where one had not
forty feet of free flight later , I meet the pavement, my brain has blocked all memory of it-so I guess that it is not scary,
but for the next 24 hours I would wake up in bed ( in the hospital) and ask where I was, my mom would tell me that, I was in the hospital and was in an accident. I would say okay and go back to bed
Mom said I did this every couple of hours

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 11 2012, 01:04 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A few:

When I was about 6 we had put our car in for repairs and collected a courtesy car to use for a few days. My mum was driving the courtesy car back home with me and my sister in the back. We were in the fast lane on Spaghetti Junction in an overhead. A tire blew out making the car swerve across three lanes to hit the inside barrier before swerving back out towards the fast lane but now facing the wrong way. We then got hit by a truck which span us back towards the inside lane and we took out a 20 meter section of barrier and it looked like the car was going to go over the edge and in to the other motorway below. Another lorry came up on the inside deliberately to stop this and brought us to a halt.

I know how all this happened becaus the traffic police showed us the video footage. All I remember is hitting the front seat.

Another -

A few years ago we were on a plane coming in to land at Heathrow. Plane got hit by windshear which literately flipped it over. If we'd been a bit lower the flip would almost certainly have resulted in a crash. As it was ww were lucky that the pilot and co-pilot managed to get control and land.

Another-
When I was 17 I was on a ferry coming back to Hong Kong from one of the outer islands. We got hit by the front edge of a typhoon and had to ride it out for about 2 hours before we could make port.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 11 2012, 01:14 PM
Instructor
Wow, you guys have been through seriously scary shi... sh.. sh... shtuff !! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 11 2012, 12:04 PM) *
A few:

When I was about 6 we had put our car in for repairs and collected a courtesy car to use for a few days. My mum was driving the courtesy car back home with me and my sister in the back. We were in the fast lane on Spaghetti Junction in an overhead. A tire blew out making the car swerve across three lanes to hit the inside barrier before swerving back out towards the fast lane but now facing the wrong way. We then got hit by a truck which span us back towards the inside lane and we took out a 20 meter section of barrier and it looked like the car was going to go over the edge and in to the other motorway below. Another lorry came up on the inside deliberately to stop this and brought us to a halt.

I know how all this happened becaus the traffic police showed us the video footage. All I remember is hitting the front seat.

Another -

A few years ago we were on a plane coming in to land at Heathrow. Plane got hit by windshear which literately flipped it over. If we'd been a bit lower the flip would almost certainly have resulted in a crash. As it was ww were lucky that the pilot and co-pilot managed to get control and land.

Another-
When I was 17 I was on a ferry coming back to Hong Kong from one of the outer islands. We got hit by the front edge of a typhoon and had to ride it out for about 2 hours before we could make port.

Just.... oh my god.... ohmy.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 11 2012, 11:37 AM) *
when I was 17,I crossed the street past a car that had stopped for me and into the next lane where one had not
forty feet of free flight later , I meet the pavement, my brain has blocked all memory of it-so I guess that it is not scary,
but for the next 24 hours I would wake up in bed ( in the hospital) and ask where I was, my mom would tell me that, I was in the hospital and was in an accident. I would say okay and go back to bed
Mom said I did this every couple of hours

Woah, lucky to be with us man !! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Mar 11 2012, 11:06 AM) *
In New Zealand, they drive on the wrong side of the road, that's crazy rolleyes.gif

Driving with some friends in NZ, the driver (danish) ended up taking the wrong lane out of a roundabout.
This resulted in us going against traffic, and this lane and the one we were supposed to take were divided by grass and trees.
Nothing happened, but we had to stear among some trees to get back on track.

I always worry that I would something like that if I drove in another country !

There will be loads of you who have had experience driving on the other side of the road in another country, Tony for one.. how long does it take to get used to it ? Say, for example, you've just driven off the ferry and you're now in France. How intimidating is it ?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 11 2012, 01:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 11 2012, 12:14 PM) *

There will be loads of you who have had experience driving on the other side of the road in another country, Tony for one.. how long does it take to get used to it ? Say, for example, you've just driven off the ferry and you're now in France. How intimidating is it ?

It takes a few days to get used to it. Most people try to be extra careful initially as it's different and it's often tiredness from the journey that causes them to have accidents. A lot of the accidents on the Malaga/Marbella coast here are caused by ex-pats who have lived here for a few years and forget they're not in the UK.

Worst/hardest part if you drive a UK car in Europe is pulling out at junctions and overtaking as it's difficult to get a clear view as you're on the wrong side.

The way people are taught to drive is a bit different. In the UK you get taught to overtake from distance. Here people are taught to come up close behind and then overtake. If you don't know this local drivers can come across as if they are tailgating and trying to intimidate. Locals are also taught to touch park so most cars have a few war wounds cool.gif .

I now find driving in the UK/Ireland odd for the first few days.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 11 2012, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
The first time a took the airplane was really scary

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 11 2012, 03:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Does making plans to support myself and leaving the nest count? Oh, you probably want a story... tongue.gif
Okay, here's one:

I used to work at a college 35 minutes north of my house. I actually went to college there and was an office assistant work-study. One morning I was running late. I had to speed to get to work on time. So that meant going 10 miles over the speed limit, also implying the other drivers were "slow". biggrin.gif But there was one problem....a dense fog spread from my house to the college...the whole freakin' way.

One particular driver was actually driving the speed limit. (Smart guy) I followed behind him for a good long while. I kept glancing at my car clock. My heart was beating rapidly. I knew I had to pass this guy or I would come up on junction a few miles ahead, passing through a small populated area - unable to pass. I was legally able to pass here on this highway, and no one was coming for a while...and so I zipped out into the other lane. Adrenaline was pumping and my heart raced. I was nose-to-nose with the other car when something terrifying appeared in the short distance. Two faint headlights. They were lights from an 18-wheeler! I pushed the gas pedal further to the floor, but to no avail for my pedal was already to the floor! The lights grew brighter and brighter. The trucker flashed his bright lights.

I prayed...oh...I prayed.....as soon as I could I swerved back into my own lane. About 3 seconds later, the semi truck passed us. That was close!! I only had 3 more seconds! Just think if I had waited those 3 seconds longer behind that car before passing. Don't tell me that you believe that was fate or coincidence. That was pure Divine Intervention.

You can be sure thanksgiving was offered up to God in Heaven. That was the closest call of my life. It wasn't time for me to die that morning. I did make it to work on time, but you can be sure I was a lot more careful from then on.

-Brandon

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 11 2012, 04:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Mar 11 2012, 02:35 PM) *
Does making plans to support myself and leaving the nest count? Oh, you probably want a story... tongue.gif
Okay, here's one:

I used to work at a college 35 minutes north of my house. I actually went to college there and was an office assistant work-study. One morning I was running late. I had to speed to get to work on time. So that meant going 10 miles over the speed limit, also implying the other drivers were "slow". biggrin.gif But there was one problem....a dense fog spread from my house to the college...the whole freakin' way.

One particular driver was actually driving the speed limit. (Smart guy) I followed behind him for a good long while. I kept glancing at my car clock. My heart was beating rapidly. I knew I had to pass this guy or I would come up on junction a few miles ahead, passing through a small populated area - unable to pass. I was legally able to pass here on this highway, and no one was coming for a while...and so I zipped out into the other lane. Adrenaline was pumping and my heart raced. I was nose-to-nose with the other car when something terrifying appeared in the short distance. Two faint headlights. They were lights from an 18-wheeler! I pushed the gas pedal further to the floor, but to no avail for my pedal was already to the floor! The lights grew brighter and brighter. The trucker flashed his bright lights.

I prayed...oh...I prayed.....as soon as I could I swerved back into my own lane. About 3 seconds later, the semi truck passed us. That was close!! I only had 3 more seconds! Just think if I had waited those 3 seconds longer behind that car before passing. Don't tell me that you believe that was fate or coincidence. That was pure Divine Intervention.

You can be sure thanksgiving was offered up to God in Heaven. That was the closest call of my life. It wasn't time for me to die that morning. I did make it to work on time, but you can be sure I was a lot more careful from then on.

-Brandon

That was certainly close !!

Sometimes the only we way we can learn our lessons is by having them scare the hell out of us so we don't do them again. I look back at some of my early driving years and shudder. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 11 2012, 05:12 PM
Instructor
Man...what a bunch of crazy stories! I once had an accident on a highway close to Lisbon, Portugal back in 2003. When all of a sudden my aunt drove with 50 km/h straight in a WV Golf which was waiting at a stop sign ... when I realized what had happened, the car was smoking, the airbags were out and all the folks in the car (me, mom, dad my aunt and uncle) were drowsy and a bit hurt. I almost fell when I got out because I could not feel my legs from the shock and I was scared that the car will blow up (t'was smoking) fortunately, everybody got away with a few scratches but it was definitely the most shocking ride for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 11 2012, 05:17 PM
GMC:er
Does racing a Drag Bike count as scary? If so then doing over 160 mph over a quarter mile on a regular basis!!
biggrin.gif

Too many scary moments whilst riding around normally, mainly due to people in cars and their ignorance of what's going on around them. ohmy.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 11 2012, 06:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 11 2012, 04:12 PM) *
Man...what a bunch of crazy stories! I once had an accident on a highway close to Lisbon, Portugal back in 2003. When all of a sudden my aunt drove with 50 km/h straight in a WV Golf which was waiting at a stop sign ... when I realized what had happened, the car was smoking, the airbags were out and all the folks in the car (me, mom, dad my aunt and uncle) were drowsy and a bit hurt. I almost fell when I got out because I could not feel my legs from the shock and I was scared that the car will blow up (t'was smoking) fortunately, everybody got away with a few scratches but it was definitely the most shocking ride for me smile.gif

Man, that must have been really terrifying.. especially on holiday as well ! huh.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 11 2012, 04:17 PM) *
Too many scary moments whilst riding around normally, mainly due to people in cars and their ignorance of what's going on around them. ohmy.gif

Yeah I do have a lot of sympathy for bikers and always try to be extra vigilant around them. They don't have a metal box around them for extra safety !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:00 AM