> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

23 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Tom51
Oct 30 2016, 06:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
Just recorded the Pink Floyd Influences video after concentrating on this lesson last 10 days. Also I tried to include what came with the feedback at REC especially vibrato and dynamics.

I share two videos because of gain and EQ usage. With a little more gain (2nd vid) it seems easier to have a wider dynamic range. But the tone on the 1st seems to be closer to the original lesson.
So, lets hear what you say smile.gif

https://youtu.be/WDj29T0uZEQ

https://youtu.be/BEQzd1UlW04

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2016, 01:36 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom, Good job! I like both tones, but I feel that the first one fits better with the backing track. Your playing is getting better. The good thing is that you keep timing, and that pitch issues are really small. I just found 2 bends that are not what I'd call perfect in pitch, and some sync issues at the end (now talking about the second take). Besides this, you can continue working on dynamics and vibrato, but this second element is much better.

Keep going.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 5 2016, 03:41 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
just stumbled upon this lesson a few days ago and really liked it. So I gave it a try and here is a first vid.
Still working on Winter Ballad too but it will take more days for bends with vibrato on top. Will share a video once I feel you may like it biggrin.gif

https://youtu.be/n5YOF3mWyjk

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2016, 09:54 PM
Instructor
Great job mate! The only things that is needed here is more groove and dynamics. Let that right left hand move freely with the groove of the track. Check out my right hand in the lesson to see what I mean.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 13 2016, 11:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab, here comes a new Gary Clark video. Was trying to improve dynamics and groove...
https://youtu.be/Hb9-RDQfowo

Thanks for your feedback. Tom

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2016, 10:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

This is still on the right track, however I feel that you need more time in order to give that extra groove and feeling that this style needs. I think that you can get it by playing along with the lesson, but also by playing some other stuff, maybe some more aggressive, SRV style stuff that makes you play strong and with wider vibrato which is not necessary here but that will expand your headroom in order to play this licks more naturally.

I'm still not totally convinced of your way to hold the pick, I think that those extended fingers make your hand look tense. I would try to relax those fingers and get influence by how GMC instructors hold the pick.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Nov 27 2016, 10:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab, your and Darius feedback about my way to hold the pick let me work hard at least 2hrs a day last week to get this right "once and for all". So played old lessons, strumming, whatsoever with the new picking position in my right hand to get used to it. Also watched several instructors to learn from. Hope the camera angle allows you to judge if I got it.

Its been six weeks since the last time I recorded this lesson and I worked daily on it. But my marathon race of learning seems to go more at snail's pace.

https://youtu.be/Cz_7iMlk4rk

Update:
Also started learning this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Santana-Europa-Part-1/
https://youtu.be/Q_03lyptjOo

Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Nov 27 2016, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 28 2016, 02:46 AM
Instructor
Hi Tom, I think that this has been a very wise decision.

I can see that your right hand is looking much better now, and that there is still work to do to make it look and feel more relaxed. I can note that you are not extending your fingers now which is a great thing, but your hand is still a bit tense while playing so I recommend you to continue practicing in this way, and also exploring other guitarists and adjusting details regarding the movement which can be more natural.

It's also a good plan to re-play some of the lessons that you've learnt in the past, you could even create a repertoire to be played at least once every day before the practice session.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Dec 13 2016, 03:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
another Winter Ballad video. Please let me know what you think.
btw.: new pick position feels very comfortable - sorry that I was so reluctant a long time to follow your advice. But I got it and learned from it. Cheers Tom.

https://youtu.be/m2z10q2jiUY

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2016, 02:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! I look at your right hand and I feel very happy! It looks much better, and I can hear that your playing is getting smoother and I'm sure that it's helping. The lesson is sounding good, I'm enjoying your vibrato on this one. There is still room to make everything sound smoother, mostly in the second half of the lesson, where some bends and licks are not precise.

Keep on practising until you feel more familiar with those licks.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Dec 14 2016, 06:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab - your feedback encouraged me to share the current status of the Santana lesson too.
Yes, precise bending and vibrato takes a long journey and need a little more than the about 1000hrs I played in the last 2 years.
But I have a lot of fun playing and that is what matters. Thanks again.

https://youtu.be/o6bLJzh001A

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 15 2016, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Nice to see that Santana's lesson is getting better! Your timing is good, and everything sounds in tune in your new video. I just think that you need to work on picking, and give the notes the right intensities, and make the whole thing sound smoother (groove).

Listen to both elements in the original lesson and try to improve your own take by applying it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jan 14 2017, 12:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
last four weeks practice schedule looked like this (2hrs in total):

1)Warmup, Scales, Alternate Picking, Chords

1a) Choosing a note and play all positions in minor pentatonic with metronome strickt alternate picking for that note. Minimize fretting hand movement. (no flying fingers)
1b) same as 1a) but with major scale and only shape1 currently
1c) play min 5 triads shapes in the that note
1d) play maj7, dom7 and min7 chords for that note (5 shapes per chord, different strings and positions)

except 1b) I am pretty confident with this and expand major scale shapes. Also will add new chords. (sus2/4 or add9 something)

I make this with to be able at the end to play 5 scales (min, maj, pentatonic, blues) with confidence and have a broader chord knowledge.

2) lessons (15min per lesson)
I currently play:
Winter Ballade
Santana 1
Santana 2 (just started learning)

With the winter ballade which I play for around 6months now I slowly lose interest. So maybe I will take the current level and put it to REC.
https://youtu.be/cqCD6wK9N_w

3) Ear Training, Rhythm, Improvisation (30min)
I choose one topic per day.
Ear training is currently focused to chord progressions. For rhythm I am not so happy with what I do. The lessons I like seem to be too advanced. So I learn from original songs (e.g. D Bowie lets dance) small parts. I need more structure here. Same with improvisation. I need a task and target to work on.
Maybe I will try to make some "Floyd-ish" chord progression or backing and improvise above that?

What do you think?
Cheers Tom

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2017, 10:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

the plan looks great. I think that it's very complete and that if you keep doing this for some time, you'll definitely get very notable results.

As you've asked for some structure for improvisation, I think that you could use my Improvisation Course as a guide to work on concepts at first. And then, to go with more advanced stuff, you could get into modes, and apply it to different styles.

At first, you could work on Classic Blues to cover Pentatonics, Dominant arpeggios and Mixolydian mode. And on the other hand, I would work on easy pop / rock / ballad chord progressions to work on triads, pentatonics, minor and major scales.

You have a lot of work, just with those two things.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jan 15 2017, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 14 2017, 10:08 PM) *
At first, you could work on Classic Blues to cover Pentatonics, Dominant arpeggios and Mixolydian mode. And on the other hand, I would work on easy pop / rock / ballad chord progressions to work on triads, pentatonics, minor and major scales.

You have a lot of work, just with those two things.

Thanks Gab - just to be sure I understand you correctly. So I should choose:

1) A Classic Blues lesson and improvise using pentatonic first
(and then later learn Dominant arpeggios and Mixolydian mode)

2) and choose an easy pop / rock / ballad chord progressions/lesson and work here on triads first
(and later minor and major scales)

Is that the way you would recommend to go?
How much time would you dedicate given that I have 2hrs/day only.?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2017, 04:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tom51 @ Jan 15 2017, 02:57 PM) *
Thanks Gab - just to be sure I understand you correctly. So I should choose:

1) A Classic Blues lesson and improvise using pentatonic first
(and then later learn Dominant arpeggios and Mixolydian mode)

2) and choose an easy pop / rock / ballad chord progressions/lesson and work here on triads first
(and later minor and major scales)

Is that the way you would recommend to go?
How much time would you dedicate given that I have 2hrs/day only.?

Hi Tom,

yes! that's exactly what I wanted to say.

Time? 30 minutes per day is ok, 1 hour is also a good amount but it depends on how many things you are covering.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 5 2017, 03:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Gab,
It's time for a new video of the Santana lesson... hope I was able to apply your advise and get it closer to the original.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Santana-Europa-Part-1/

https://youtu.be/HG_v5oKJwOs

...and big big congratulations to your gig with Mr. Gieco!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2017, 05:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom! Thank you! smile.gif

That lesson is on the right track. Here are some things that need work or attention:

- Your tone needs more definition. I would try be lowering a bit the drive, and adding more presence to your setting as a starting point.

- That faster lick at 00:29 needs to be isolated and worked. These one shows that you need to add some alternate picking crossing strings exercises into your practice.

- There is some dynamics work in the original lesson that is missed in your playing. Maybe it's too soon to focus on it, but please start comparing your vid with the original lesson and notice the difference between dynamics, but also regarding other details like timing/groove, and notes articulation.

- The bends in the last section are not reaching the pitch smoothly, take care of them.

There are some other details to fix but those are the most relevant.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
Feb 6 2017, 08:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Gab. Will work on this and post a new take in two weeks.

The reason I was using so much drive is that I do not get the sustain at the first long bend. Even not with the gain as we can hear. It helped a bit to add more drive and hit the string hard but but it still rings out too soon. No matter how hard I fret the note during the bend.

And even the notejust fretted without any bend does not ring that long? Is this my guitar? I will try today a new different amp setting with a marshall emulation and some drive and nothing else so see how long the notes ring . Really hope its not my guitar.

This post has been edited by Tom51: Feb 6 2017, 08:45 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2017, 04:38 AM
Instructor
Try adding a compressor. Something that emulates this: https://youtu.be/qGFoQxla6OU

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:23 PM