2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Intermediate Bushido Task 4
Ben Higgins
Feb 16 2012, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Task 4 : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/ Record and upload your version of this lesson by next Thursday 23rd February

Oh yeah... you knew it wink.gif

If you're thinking 'Are we just going to be doing the same Tasks as the advanced guys but a week or two later ?' then I can say no, you are not. However, on occasion, you may find yourself doing a lesson that has been done by those guys.

I've been saying for quite a while now that using chords, especially played as arpeggios, is a brilliant way of warming up your fingers. It also gets your picking hand wrist moving too but the main benefits for me are found with the fretting hand. In some cases, there is no better warm up than doing the thing you are going to be doing but at a lower level of intensity. It engages all the bits and pieces that you're going to be needing by expanding/contracting the bits and encouraging blood flow.

Not only is this a great warm up but you also get the bonus of stretching those unwilling sausages that you call fingers ! If you haven't managed to increase your finger span on the guitar after this week I'll be surprised. I'm always so generous in the gifts I give to you that I amaze myself sometimes smile.gif

You also get the added advantage of looking back over the Advanced group's thread and stealing any bits of info and advice you may find useful. ph34r.gif

Enjoy !!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 16 2012, 08:43 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thank you sensei, what a great task lies ahead of us!
I am especially pleased that there are actually open chords in this lesson...I will not disappoint you smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 16 2012, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
I was going to start learning this lesson soon anyway Ben!! I'll just have to start a bit sooner is all!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 16 2012, 09:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome! This will be a nice change of pace although challenging I'm sure. I feel confident I will get this at full speed finally. laugh.gif

Also Ben, I will have a slo-mo version of Task 3 posted this evening as it is still only 4:00 in the US. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 16 2012, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Really challenging chords in this one. It will be really tough

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Feb 17 2012, 04:58 PM
Tone Seeker
Ow this is the lesson I was gonna learn but did nothing about it. You're good ass kicker hairy master bushido-man wink.gif
I'll try my best.

Oh yeah that first chord is familiar from 'tallica's call of the Ktulu song. very eerie blink.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 17 2012, 05:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm treating this task (mentally) simply as a lesson to learn some new chords as this is an area that I have neglected way too much as far as breaking away from the normal major-minor-7ths.

I can play the first two positions very cleanly but the transition is tough because these shapes are so far out there. I've just started on the big stretches and can barely get those at this point but after reading some of the Advanced comments, it looks like that's normal at first and gets easier through the week.

My strategy is to go through the whole lesson and learn the chords. Then get used to transitioning through them and playing all strings cleanly when strumming. I figure if I can get that down, playing the actual arpeggios should be easy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 17 2012, 06:56 PM
Instructor
Glad you guys are open to the challenge ! I always play this when I pick up the guitar to practice (by the way, it's not always perfect.. actually it's hardly ever perfect..) wink.gif

Interesting approach Greg. I personally go straight to arpeggiating whatever new chords I'm learning but your way might be just as effective.. keep me posted ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 20 2012, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I am really starting to get a grasp on the chord changes now

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 20 2012, 04:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (superize @ Feb 20 2012, 03:42 PM) *
I am really starting to get a grasp on the chord changes now

Same here Superize. I've got the first set of changes down as well as the last set although the first change is still kind of "weird". I am still having issues getting the big stretches clean, or even getting them at all, in the middle part. Still have some time though.

This post has been edited by gregc1: Feb 20 2012, 04:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 20 2012, 05:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Feb 20 2012, 03:56 PM) *
Same here Superize. I've got the first set of changes down as well as the last set although the first change is still kind of "weird". I am still having issues getting the big stretches clean, or even getting them at all, in the middle part. Still have some time though.

I always found the changes from 2nd chord to 3rd and back to the 1st the most difficult smile.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 20 2012, 05:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 20 2012, 04:12 PM) *
I always found the changes from 2nd chord to 3rd and back to the 1st the most difficult smile.gif

Hahaha, you're right Ben. Aside from the big stretches which is my largest challenge right now, that exact transition is very tough. When I go to start, my fingers go right to position for the first chord, no problem. But when I go back to the first chord from the third chord, I have a real time getting my little finger into position quick enough. The change from "2" to "3" is tough but the "3" to"1" is even tougher for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Feb 22 2012, 11:21 AM
Tone Seeker
HEY just let you know that I have terrible flu right now...so I haven't touched guitar for few days. dry.gif

But I'll try post something later...

(Oh and please rather break one toe instead of a finger wink.gif )

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 22 2012, 11:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Feb 22 2012, 10:21 AM) *
HEY just let you know that I have terrible flu right now...so I haven't touched guitar for few days. dry.gif

But I'll try post something later...

(Oh and please rather break one toe instead of a finger wink.gif )

Oh Man that sucks !!! Sorry to hear that sad.gif

Don't worry too much about recording something.. illness is a valid excuse, even in this Temple ph34r.gif

How is everybody else doing with this Task ?

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 22 2012, 01:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I've pretty much got the first and last sections down. My only issue is the middle segment with the "stretchy" chords, specifically the 2nd one. Surprisingly (to myself) I have started being able to get the first one although I only hit it clean about 60% of the time currently. I'm getting closer but I haven't been able to make the stretch for the second one yet. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 23 2012, 11:46 AM
Instructor
Just a little reminder that today is the deadline for this Task and I will be making Task 5 available soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 23 2012, 01:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'll have mine up a little later today. I was really hoping to get a REC video out of this task but I just can not make the reach yet on that 2nd chord-middle segment. I will say that when this task started I wasn't even close to making the stretch for either of the tough chords but now I can pretty much get the first (with some minor body contorting) so I'm making progress, just not quite there yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 23 2012, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Feb 23 2012, 12:35 PM) *
I'll have mine up a little later today. I was really hoping to get a REC video out of this task but I just can not make the reach yet on that 2nd chord-middle segment. I will say that when this task started I wasn't even close to making the stretch for either of the tough chords but now I can pretty much get the first (with some minor body contorting) so I'm making progress, just not quite there yet.

That's cool Greg.. any progress is good progress smile.gif Maybe the lesson will find a place in your daily warm up routine ?

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 23 2012, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I don't have the time to record anything today but tomorrow i will.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 23 2012, 03:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 23 2012, 02:15 PM) *
That's cool Greg.. any progress is good progress smile.gif Maybe the lesson will find a place in your daily warm up routine ?

Absolutely. I WILL complete this and do it cleanly.

It's funny because I have actually been a little frustrated with this one because going into this task, I was confident I would finally get one done at full speed but as I got closer to today's deadline I realized this one part was going to prevent me from accomplishing that. But....

One of the other tasks I still go back to is the Etude you had us do for task 2 I believe. After working on this new task for a few days and going back to the Etude, there is the part where you stretch from the 5th fret to the 10th. Turns out that part is much easier or more natural for me now than it was before I started this new task. So, in the grand scheme of things, mission accomplished. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:19 PM