Gmc Suggestion -teacher Personal Pages
Ayen
Aug 9 2007, 05:00 AM
GMC:er
Well, a few days ago I was thinking of how I could possibly help contribute to GMC and I came up with this. Since Kris is working on a search engine this might save him some time.

Why not have a page for every GMC Teacher's lessons. Instead of some lengthy explanation, here are a few links, these are the thumbnails.

This is simply a way for people to find lessons a bit easier, like when it was asked where the Vibrato lessons were. If you remembered that Marcus was teaching it, you could simply go to his page.

Tell me what you think!

Edit: Don't think I forgot the rest of you guys, I just don't have the attention span to make too many more thumbnails tongue.gif.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Aug 9 2007, 06:42 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Stratman58
Aug 9 2007, 05:10 AM
Great idea! I would use this if it were implemented in GMC.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 9 2007, 05:12 AM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ Aug 9 2007, 12:10 AM) *
Great idea! I would use this if it were implemented in GMC.

I 2nd that.Thats an awesome idea.Glad you brought it up smile.gif

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 9 2007, 05:19 AM
nice smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ayen
Aug 9 2007, 05:21 AM
Thanks guys, I figured GMC has helped me , I might as well try and return the favor

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hungus
Aug 9 2007, 05:35 AM
Thats a cool idea but that kind of thing will already be covered by the new search engine. If you look at Henriks post (#7) you will see a picture of its functions which actually includes something like this but abit more elaborate.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 9 2007, 05:42 AM
awesome idea dude. This will definately make things alot easier. Plus the lessons would be very well organized

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Aug 9 2007, 05:57 AM
Hey guys,

I don't want to be a stickler, but I'm not a big fan of the search by instructor engine. Don't get me wrong, it'd be an ok feature, but I think the GMC video library needs a bit of reorganizing before we get wound up with it.

I would like to see a more direct, lesson numbers approach to the layout for beginners. And maybe have a main page with "Lessons 1-5", "Lessons 6-10"...etc..etc.. subpages. And be direct (although not strict) about being able to do the lesson at a certain speed before moving onto the next one. I think if beginners can see themselves move through the lessons as a numbered system, it'll really boost their confidence and keep them playing.

And I know Andrew is going to make some video soon (like promised in chat tongue.gif ). And what is a better video debut than to having Andrew and Kris tag team the theory basic with videos and examples. I really like the video lessons and I always learn a ton from them. I tend to suffer from ADD a bit when I read though (I think most guitar players do LOL), so having a really clear video on stuff like Circle of Fifths, scales, keys yada yada would help them want to learn theory a bit more.

Sorry this was long winded, but it's a few ideas I had. I haven't had much trouble finding my way, as I'm sure the same for most of you. But if I was new to guitar and/or music theory I think I'd get lost really easy.

I hope this didn't sound in any way like I was bad mouthing the site, that's not the case. It's by far my favorite site and I'm here 30x a day. cool.gif

This post has been edited by Sircraigery: Aug 9 2007, 06:00 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 9 2007, 09:12 AM
GMC Founder
This is one of the top requests - differnet suggetsions on how to reorganise of the site.

We have said a bunch of times earlier - a big restructuring is on the way. My estimation is that we only have few weeks left.

The reorganisation will cover all the suggestions mentioned. Also, the current "video lesson" structure will go into the bin because it sucks big time!! (Sorry for the language)

We have however chosen to continue to give you 1-2 new lessons per day even though the current structure doesn't really allow for it (things are very hard to find). Waiting with all the cool lessons until the web developers are finished didn't seem like a good option...! smile.gif

PS Thanks for all the suggestions! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 9 2007, 09:13 AM
Lets go fishing!
Its a real nice idea, but i dont feel its the best way to catagorize the lessons. Personally i feel GMC would benifit more keeping certain types of lessons together and then rated by difficulty level. New members arnt going to know the insrtructors straight away and wont benifit from the suggested layout. Just a though anyway smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 9 2007, 09:35 AM
GMC Founder
Ok I realise we haven't been very clear with what we are about to do.

It actually isn't just the search function we are working on, we are organising lessons into all the following category to allow for advanced searching.

Music Categories

Level of difficulty (yes that's right!)

Lesson Types

Techniques

Instructors

Tags

Bonus features are, "see related lessons" "filter for lessons with spoken videos" etc.

What this means is that you can choose whichever way you want to strucur ethe lessons! smile.gif

We will also have two search options, "standard simple search" and "filter search".

Not only this - but we will also expand the width of the site with a new column to allow for a handy way of finding related videos (like youtube does it) - or just allow for quick searching wihout having to leave the lesson your working on.

So this is where we are now (trying to expand the width of the site) - if it wasn't for the fact that the site was started out without any professional web developer involved - things would go very quickly. Buit as it is now we have so many different versions of the lesson templates that things have got very complicated (we don't just want to throw away half of the old lessons to allow for the site upgrade).

Once we have got through the current stage - we will implement "my bookmats" and "my history" feature on the right hand side of the site. Never loose a lesson again!

We are giving the restructuring of the site top priority - which in a way is sad because we have so many other cool things waiting. We have contests, lots of practical features such as downloading of backing tracks (which was recently requested), upgrading the lesson look (we have so many cool ideas on how to improve look and functionality of the lessons, Andrew and Kaneda are also involved with this).

This is just a little fraction of all the cool changes which are planned - and this si just a spontaneous post. We could write pages about this (in fact we do - but thos eare technical specifications suitable for the developers).

Also, remember that gmc is still a small site and we cannot work at the same tempo as youtube and google. In fact I am quite astonished that we are capable of producing the quantity of lessons we do... Remember how everything looked/worked just a few months ago! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayen
Aug 9 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for replying, Kristofer. I didn't know you were working on all that, I assumed it was just the search function. I didn't mean this as a request though, I just wanted to throw something out there that might not have already been thought of. Sorry that you had to go through that whole explanation because of something I said biggrin.gif

We have contests, lots of practical features such as downloading of backing tracks (which was recently requested), upgrading the lesson look...

Heh, I believe that particular request was from me.

As for the site's size and its growth over time, I can't really comment as I'm quite new here, though I've been looking at the GMC Green (Free) Videos for a much longer time. The work you guys put into this site really shows, as I already think of everyone like a second family (though not quite as extreme as it sounds) and I've only been here for about two weeks.

Again, sorry to further increase the load on your back, but thanks for getting back to me so soon!

(It's funny, a few weeks ago you, along with other GMC staff seemed like celebrities to me, and here I am talking to you directly! Just goes to show that GMC can be amazing any way you look at it)

This post has been edited by Ayen: Aug 9 2007, 10:18 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Guernseyman
Aug 9 2007, 10:31 AM
I am a new member and not far off the beginner stage in my guitar playing. I would welcome a series of lessons designed for improvers like me. I could follow these bit by bit and see tangible progress. My practice lacks structure and this would really help me.

PS I love that recently posted acoustic lesson. I am working hard to nail this one down. It will take me a while but I will keep at it. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 9 2007, 10:42 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Guernseyman @ Aug 9 2007, 11:31 AM) *
I am a new member and not far off the beginner stage in my guitar playing. I would welcome a series of lessons designed for improvers like me. I could follow these bit by bit and see tangible progress. My practice lacks structure and this would really help me.

PS I love that recently posted acoustic lesson. I am working hard to nail this one down. It will take me a while but I will keep at it. rolleyes.gif

Welcome Guernseyman! biggrin.gif

You will have it - once wr are through fixing all th ebugs of the new layout we will have section which lists all the eaisier lessons. We will also have a "lesson planner". smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Aug 9 2007, 11:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 9 2007, 11:42 AM) *
You will have it - once wr are through fixing all th ebugs of the new layout we will have section which lists all the eaisier lessons. We will also have a "lesson planner". smile.gif

This is so cool! smile.gif

Kris,
I know it's difficult you for to say when we can expect to see all these updates, but... are we talking about days? weeks? months?

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 9 2007, 11:03 AM
Learning Roadie
I think he said that there's a couple of weeks left perhaps smile.gif Can't wait.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 9 2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor
Considering all the new updates Kris and Henrik are preparing - GMC is gonna be BIIIIIIIIIIG! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 9 2007, 11:50 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lavendell @ Aug 9 2007, 12:00 PM) *
This is so cool! smile.gif

Kris,
I know it's difficult you for to say when we can expect to see all these updates, but... are we talking about days? weeks? months?
-Marcus

smile.gif
Henrik is the best man to answer that. The very first changes which is expanding width of the site, search and filter are pretty much finished. All that is left is implementing to the site and make it work design and layout-wise!

--------------------

+Quote Post
brandon
Aug 9 2007, 02:51 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 9 2007, 06:50 AM) *
smile.gif
Henrik is the best man to answer that. The very first changes which is expanding width of the site, search and filter are pretty much finished. All that is left is implementing to the site and make it work design and layout-wise!

man kris, the new site sounds like it's going to be pretty rad.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2007, 02:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 9 2007, 05:35 AM) *
Ok I realise we haven't been very clear with what we are about to do.

It actually isn't just the search function we are working on, we are organising lessons into all the following category to allow for advanced searching.

Music Categories

Level of difficulty (yes that's right!)

Lesson Types

Techniques

Instructors

Tags

Bonus features are, "see related lessons" "filter for lessons with spoken videos" etc.

What this means is that you can choose whichever way you want to strucur ethe lessons! smile.gif

We will also have two search options, "standard simple search" and "filter search".

Not only this - but we will also expand the width of the site with a new column to allow for a handy way of finding related videos (like youtube does it) - or just allow for quick searching wihout having to leave the lesson your working on.

So this is where we are now (trying to expand the width of the site) - if it wasn't for the fact that the site was started out without any professional web developer involved - things would go very quickly. Buit as it is now we have so many different versions of the lesson templates that things have got very complicated (we don't just want to throw away half of the old lessons to allow for the site upgrade).

Once we have got through the current stage - we will implement "my bookmats" and "my history" feature on the right hand side of the site. Never loose a lesson again!

We are giving the restructuring of the site top priority - which in way is sad because we have so many other cool things waiting. We have contests, lots of practical features such as downloading of backing tracks (which was recently requested), upgrading the lesson look (we have so many cool ideas on how to improve look and functionality of the lessons, Andrew and Kaneda are also involved with this).

This is just a little fraction of all the cool changes which are planned - and this si just a spontaneous post. We could write pages about this (in fact we do - but thos eare technical specifications suitable for the developers).

Also, remember that gmc is still a small site and we cannot work at the same tempo as youtube and google. In fact I am quite astonished that we are capable of producing the quantity of lessons we do... Remember how everything looked/worked just a few months ago! smile.gif

Hey Kris! This improvements will be soooo great! smile.gif

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:47 AM