Midi "jumping"/unsteady
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 28 2009, 02:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've had this problem for years with various computers, and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

Whenever I playback a midi file or play a guitar pro file, the playback becomes a bit lacky and unsteady. In other words.. un tight, I geuss. It can often be quickly solved with a pause and start playing again, but the problem will occur shortly afterwards.

I don't remember experiencing it on my parents old desktop, nor my girlfriend's old lap top, but on my own powerhouse stationary computer it's often very apparent. I thought it had something to do with too many things running or interfering in some way, but I can't figure out what that should be.

I'll try to get a recording of it soon.

Does anyone have the same experience or know a solution?

EDIT: Here is a sound clip. I think it's especially noticable at where the drums come in, but also several other places.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 28 2009, 03:08 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 28 2009, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Anyone?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 30 2009, 08:40 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I don't know what is the solution. My computers often make small pauses,skip beats etc when playing guitar pro or VSTs in recording software. I guess more RAM memory and less unnecessary software working in a background (clean work PC) would solve the issue.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 30 2009, 08:51 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 28 2009, 11:34 PM) *
Anyone?

I was expecting a very skippy midi recording here but to be honest - to me it sounds like any normal midi song. And I tried to hear something when the drums start like you suggested but I guess I'm completely tonedeaf since I couldn't catch anything unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 2 2009, 04:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
It's not large skips, it's just fractions of a milisecond that it's unsteady, but enough to be very annoying!

I've tried making a new "recording" of where it's very easy to hear on my computer at least. It's as if it has a very shuffle feel to it. I've only experienced it on newer computers and not on old ones.

I tried meassuring it with a ruler on the recording, and to me it does seem as if some notes last 2-3 ms longer than others. Hahaha.

Here's another one:

The drum part I'm talking about is right where they enter with the "pre-hits". 4 beats to the toms, if I recall correctly.

They are four 16th notes in Guitar Pro, and should play steadily, but it sounds as if they go: "dum dum (fraction of pause) dum dum".

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Midi_playback.mp3 ( 663.7K ) Number of downloads: 67

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 2 2009, 04:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I think I have this problem, and if it's the same thing your talking about, it is a playback problem. So the file you posted will sound "skippy" to me and you, but not to people without the problem.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 2 2009, 04:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Aug 2 2009, 05:48 PM) *
I think I have this problem, and if it's the same thing your talking about, it is a playback problem. So the file you posted will sound "skippy" to me and you, but not to people without the problem.

The thing is, it is not a midi file, but a recording of a playback of a midi file!

If it was a regular midi file, that would be the case, indeed. But I don't think it's case when it's just the recording of a playing midi file.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2009, 05:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Sounds like its the midi clock that is unstable to me. Somewhere in your set up something is running as the main midi clock and that provides the midi timing. It isn't consistent either because it is using inaccurate timing information or because it is unable to provide a consistent time out. Exactly which bit of hardware/software is the master midi clock I can't say without going through you set up Cael.

If you are using a lot of apps in Windows then that can glitch a clock that uses Win for timing btw.

Also take a look at this for more info on synching.

A potential quick fix may be to use a different master clock. There are some free software ones, this is one example here. Can't vouch for any as I don't clock in this way as I use hardware.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 2 2009, 05:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the very helpful answer, Tony.

I will try to download the "quick fix" you suggested, if I can find a link that actually works. It has been bothering me quite a bit, and I've been trying to find similarities in computers that have this problem, but I haven't really found any.

It does not seem to occur on my girlfriend's Dell laptop from 2000, nor her newer one from 2002. I have yet to test it out on my new Netbook, but something tells me I won't be having the problem on that one.

Can you elaborate on this:

Can't vouch for any as I don't clock in this way as I use hardware.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2009, 06:01 PM
Literally that I use hardware like this as my master midi clock Cael (scroll down the page a bit to the MOTU). I think Phil Rees does a cheaper alternative to the Motu. Rees makes some nice stuff generally btw but can be hard to get hold of.

I used to run my EMU Proteus 2500 as the master but it too had timing issues that sound not unlike yours. It also puts out a lot of digital jitter noise which is why I opted to slave it.

In the short term a software master may be a quicker and cheaper solution for you though.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 2 2009, 06:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 2 2009, 07:01 PM) *
Literally that I use hardware like this as my master midi clock Cael (scroll down the page a bit to the MOTU). I think Phil Rees does a cheaper alternative to the Motu. Rees makes some nice stuff generally btw but can be hard to get hold of.

I used to run my EMU Proteus 2500 as the master but it too had timing issues that sound not unlike yours. It also puts out a lot of digital jitter noise which is why I opted to slave it.

In the short term a software master may be a quicker and cheaper solution for you though.

Thanks.

In Guitarpro I have the Microsoft GS Wavetable as output device. Does that have anything in relation to this? I have EMU 1212m soundcard, but I cannot use that for midi output. Well, the choice is there, but no sound comes out if I use it.

I also have MIDIyoke I think it is called on my computer, as I had to install that to get some other musical related programs running.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 2 2009, 06:55 PM
Don't think it's the wavetable although I know very little about Guitarpro. Midiyoke could be the issue as its a loopback device and they can cause instability. I'd try putting the software clock on that first and see if it sorts it out.

Midiyoke is generally ok though - I use it for midi loopback as well btw smile.gif as sometimes it's the only way to get the midi out of a vst to the midi in of another. It'll probably glitch more if you are using a lot of channels concurrently though.

If it helps Cael here are a couple of alternatives to midiyoke.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 2 2009, 09:59 PM
Instructor
I also have problems using MS GS Wavetable when doing a MIDI playback, and I also have 1212m. My problem is latency, but consistent one. For example in DAW when I insert some VSTi and it is played against different MIDI track that has MS GS WT as output the MS one is delayed a bit. I don't have any unconsistent playback issues, but could be something about 1212m and the way it handles that particular MIDI bank.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:57 PM