2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bass lessons at gmc, New stuff coming up
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 31 2007, 05:39 PM
GMC Founder
Hey,

Ok so I have been contacted by some bassists who want to do lessons for us - initially I thought no way, this is a guitar site!

But then it struck me - I do actually have a bass hanging there on the wall - and all I am doing with it is trying to play guitar on it - and this is naturally is not working out very well... So I definately need some bass lessons. wink.gif

So even though I know we have guitarists here and no bassist (yet) - I am curious on what you guys think about new bass lessons. Important - these lessons will not affect the update frequency of guitar lessons in any way - they will be added as bonus lessons in between the guitar updates.

Also another good thing if we get a bass section going - is that we can team up with bassist all over the world and jam and what not... so watcha think?

Kris biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 31 2007, 06:50 PM
Sounds very interesting and as long as the guitar section remains as active I cant see any problems.

And, if you run across as bass player that sucks you can say "Dude, go to gmc and learn" and then we get bassplayers AND guitar players that have attended the masterclass.. Just drums to cover and then the masterclass bands will be popping up like roses on valentines day!

And if I ever come across a bass it would be cool to have somewhere to learn. The more you know the better.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
j78
Jan 31 2007, 07:09 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Jan 31 2007, 06:50 PM) *
.. Just drums to cover and then the masterclass bands will be popping up like roses on valentines day!

Speaking of which...damn I totally forgot about valentines day. Phew, thanks for the reminder Steel. You saved me from a nights sleep on the couch.... like last year...
I like my couch and all, but my neck was totally busted after sleeping on it.
dry.gif

Sorry of the Off-topic.

On-topic: I see no reasons why there shouldn't be a bass section here. Like Steel said, as long as the guitar section is active and updated, go for it.

//J78

This post has been edited by j78: Jan 31 2007, 07:11 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 31 2007, 07:13 PM
GMC Founder
Is it Valentines day today??? blink.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
j78
Jan 31 2007, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 31 2007, 07:13 PM) *

Fortunately, no. It's still 2 weeks to go.
But thanks to Steels reminder, I can prepare something else than a last minute chocolate box from "Statoil"...

//J78

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 31 2007, 07:19 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 31 2007, 07:13 PM) *

What? Nooo! Its like 14th of february or something.

Sorry for any confusing it was just one of my many stupid expressions I use to describe things tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 31 2007, 08:18 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (j78 @ Jan 31 2007, 07:18 PM) *
Fortunately, no. It's still 2 weeks to go.
But thanks to Steels reminder, I can prepare something else than a last minute chocolate box from "Statoil"...

//J78

Why? What's wrong with that? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jan 31 2007, 08:39 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 31 2007, 04:39 PM) *
Hey,

Ok so I have been contacted by some bassists who want to do lessons for us - initially I thought no way, this is a guitar site!

But then it struck me - I do actually have a bass hanging there on the wall - and all I am doing with it is trying to play guitar on it - and this is naturally is not working out very well... So I definately need some bass lessons. wink.gif

So even though I know we have guitarists here and no bassist (yet) - I am curious on what you guys think about new bass lessons. Important - these lessons will not affect the update frequency of guitar lessons in any way - they will be added as bonus lessons in between the guitar updates.

Also another good thing if we get a bass section going - is that we can team up with bassist all over the world and jam and what not... so watcha think?

Kris biggrin.gif

I think it's been said before but I'll second it....

As long as it doesn't negatively impact the work going on with the guitar part of the site, I think it's a great idea. I probably wouldn't work on the bass lessons for a long time as I don't think I have the capacity to learn two instruments simultaneously but once I get OK with the guitar I'd like to learn bass and see which fits me better.

Mmm...Les Claypool lessons...

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 31 2007, 09:19 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 31 2007, 05:39 PM) *
these lessons will not affect the update frequency of guitar lessons in any way - they will be added as bonus lessons in between the guitar updates.

Sure then!

When I record on the comp I lay the bass by pasting out dots with mouse clicks tongue.gif I've thought about getting an inexpensive bass to make that but realized it probably wouldn't sound good since I'd play it the guitar-way.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 1 2007, 01:51 AM
Instructor
The guitar section will be more than updated when i finish my exams, which btw. have started this week. So i must study, study and study and have no time to record anything. BUT - Kris and I prepared a little surprise for ya guys smile.gif cool.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Feb 1 2007, 03:21 AM
I think this is a great idea, I have a bass on my "shopping list", lots of things ahead of it though unfortunately. Gotta get a tube amp and a PRS first. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
theozard
Feb 1 2007, 12:54 PM
woah! If this happens...GMC will be the ultimate place ever. My brother wants to start learning the bass soon. He'll go crazy if this actually happens..plus we would get loads of new members since not many online tutorials for bass. Way to go Kris

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 1 2007, 04:06 PM
GMC Founder
I am happy to see you guys think this sounds ok (all though you prefer Valentines day! wink.gif ) - so I am going to introduce one of the bass instructors...

Hrvoje from Croatia ( I know - my eyes almost poped out when understood we are going to get another Croatian instructor - we should have moved the server to Croatia instead of the US wink.gif )

However, here is how he shortly introduces himself:

I've started playing a bass guitar when I was 16 or 17, now i'm 21.
I've never played an instrument before, and noone in my family does either.
In that time i've listened nu-metal bands such as KoRn, Incubus, etc, they all
have/had great bass players and that has influenced me to start playing.
My first guitar was Squier P-bass Special, and it wasn't so bad at all.
After my friend bass player gave me cd from "some" band PRIMUS, i've started to look things from different perspective, from that day Les Claypool was, and is bass-god for me.
At one point, Squier was not good enough for me anymore. So I spent some time and money and build my bass from one old bass with broken neck, no electronics and hardware, no paint job - no future smile.gif So you can say it's custom built by me wink.gif

Here is a quick Jam sample he recorded for this post:

Attached File  sample_audio_lackofinspiration.mp3 ( 813.06K ) Number of downloads: 197

He has prepared a little lesson schedule for us:
BASS EXERCISES
Lesson 1 BASIC SCALES
minor fingering
major fingering

Lesson 2 BASIC FINGERSTYLE
2 or 3 finger playing
constructing lines

Lesson 3 BASIC SLAP I
general slaping techinque
slaping octaves

Lesson 4 BASIC SLAP II
hammer-on, pull-off slap
left hand slap, tupplets

Lesson 5 BASIC SLAP III
exercises

Lesson 6 BASIC TAPING I
single string tap

Lesson 7 BASIC TAPING 2
multiple string taping
three string arpeggio
… for now!
still to do:
advanced lessons + lots of exercises

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Feb 1 2007, 07:13 PM
Awesome!! I started out on bass, then picked up guitar later. And I still enjoy playing bass very much!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hrvoje
Feb 1 2007, 07:59 PM
Bass Instructor
Hi there!
So, i thought it would be good to introduce myself here.
As Kris has already told, I'm Hrvoje, from Croatia wink.gif
I'm 21, i'm studying Tourism and Hospitality Management, so if you are looking
someone to manage your Hotel, feel free to call me wink.gif

My biggest influences are:
Less Claypool (Primus)
Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)
Alex Katunich "Dirk Lance" (Incubus)
Alexi Laiho, guitar player (Children of Bodom) wink.gif he's great!

I practice bass at least 5 hours a day, i like taping very much, and i hate old strings wink.gif
That's about me. So feel free to ask me anything you want, if you hate my playing please
tell me, i'll practice more wink.gif If you like it, great!
I hope i will help you develope your skills in future!

--------------------
..my life is falling to pieces, somebody put me together..
-Faith no more-

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 1 2007, 08:02 PM
This site is no longer Guitarmasterclass. It's Croatian Masterclass.

Welcome to the board btw wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 1 2007, 08:07 PM
GMC Founder
Hrvoje - do you like Presidents of the USA? I love them - and they are a little reminescent of Primus...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hrvoje
Feb 1 2007, 08:34 PM
Bass Instructor
Thank you for wellcome Steel wink.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 1 2007, 08:07 PM) *
Hrvoje - do you like Presidents of the USA? I love them - and they are a little reminescent of Primus...

I must addmit, i never heard of "Presidents of the USA" but I will put them on my download list as soon
as it's possible!
I have one CD od Les Claypool solo - i think it's called "Of whales and Woe" it's even sicker than Primus itself. "NoMeansNo" is also a great band, my favourite song is "Big dick" wink.gif lots of Primus-a-like.

So i'm on guitarist territory smile.gif I have one questions for all of you shredders; how do you like Buckethead?
He's good friend of Les, and great player, maybe a little de-arranged wink.gif

--------------------
..my life is falling to pieces, somebody put me together..
-Faith no more-

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 1 2007, 08:54 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Hrvoje @ Feb 1 2007, 08:34 PM) *
Thank you for wellcome Steel wink.gif
I must addmit, i never heard of "Presidents of the USA" but I will put them on my download list as soon
as it's possible!
I have one CD od Les Claypool solo - i think it's called "Of whales and Woe" it's even sicker than Primus itself. "NoMeansNo" is also a great band, my favourite song is "Big dick" wink.gif lots of Primus-a-like.

So i'm on guitarist territory smile.gif I have one questions for all of you shredders; how do you like Buckethead?
He's good friend of Les, and great player, maybe a little de-arranged wink.gif

I think he is crazy and inspiring - he has some interesting licks going on + he can speedpick like Paul Gilbert! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 2 2007, 03:28 AM
All we need now is a drummer and we have a band - with 300 guitarists, 1 bass player, 1 drummer, and Kris singing. !
Whose turn is it to solo?

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:33 PM