Using E minor scale and major scale
S|4sh
May 11 2006, 12:46 AM
GMC:er
I have recently (in the past 3 months) learned all the positions for major/minor scale so pentatonic also and the harmonic minor scale. What I want to know is if it guys like Slash, Jimmy Page, and Jimi Hendrix combine major and minor scales to give their solos more feeling and expression? To me it sounds very boring to stay in one scale.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Wassupwithat
May 11 2006, 10:42 AM
Learn to combine them to make the scale more versatile. What I use is the bottom 2 strings of position X (3-5 fret) then the middle 2 strings of position Y (5-8 fret) and top 2 strings of position Z (8-12 fret) and I apply them to alot of my scales, now I either go as low as it goes or let my guitar scream with the hassle of only (OMG!!) one scale!!!

Hope this helped,
RLCT

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ColinMurphy
May 12 2006, 12:54 AM
Know the important notes which identifiy each scale. Your not nesccesarily going to get a blues sound by playing an E or a minor sound by playing an E.

In the key of Em

F# and C will define it as minor.

Add a D# for a harmonic minor sound.

Play A# for the "blues note".

Strip out everything for a minor pentatonic (5 bare notes)

When improvising in one key, I usually stick to the core scale, but change it into harmonic minors, blues or others by emphasizing certain notes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:55 PM