2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Spore, Anyone else superpsyched about this?
PanicProne
Sep 14 2008, 05:45 PM
GMC:er
Hey. Well since it's fantastically hyped at the moment I doubt many of you guys have missed out on it. It's Spore. A new game from EA where you basically start from a single cell and then build your own universe. I've been reading about it, watching videos on it on youtube and just hyping it for myself today. I also managed to download the demo onto my Macbook Pro (which when I bought was meant for music,pics and video editing ONLY) and I'm jsut amazed how good the game looks, works and feels.

Anyone with opinions, comments? Anyone already playing or have played the full version?
I'm gonna let my hype cool down for a few weeks before I make a decision but right now it feels like a definite buy!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 14 2008, 06:13 PM
that game is going to be so good but if i get it i will probably spend 24/7 on it instead of guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 14 2008, 06:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I tried to get it, but no good... Some people I know told me that it was over-hyped and that the game was not very good.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Sep 14 2008, 07:19 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Sep 14 2008, 07:58 PM) *
I tried to get it, but no good... Some people I know told me that it was over-hyped and that the game was not very good.

D'you mean that you didn't enjoy the game? In that case why? Or did you just end up not buying it since your friends didn't like it?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 15 2008, 12:11 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I played it a little at my friends place...Didn't go for the online portion (don't have a clue what it does) but it seems like a very interesting game...I really like the whole concept smile.gif Might try to get it myself... smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 15 2008, 12:11 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Sep 15 2008, 02:09 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Never heard of it.... Sounds like the holy grail of achievments though.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 15 2008, 08:42 AM
Lets go fishing!
im not really a gamer but I have seen it advertised and I must say it looks very very interesting!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 15 2008, 09:32 AM
Overhyped.
The evolution thing I was expecting has been reduced and how you design your creature have no impact now. It's purely cosmetic.
From my expectations this game was dissapointing. The space phase might still be fun if you put some time into it, I'm not sure yet if I will though.

Since this is a EA game it contains SecuROM, a copy protection mechanism.
You can install the game three times then you have to call EA and convince them you have a legit reason for needing more installs. No guarantee you will get more. You register an account to play online.

You can only have one player account and that account is tied to your registered install on one computer. That is, you cant play your game, log out and your spouse logs in on her account. Or go to a friend and log in on your account.
This is contradicting the manual wich clearly states "You may have multiple Spore accounts for each installation of the game." EA blames this to a "misprint" in the manual. To me this is a contract breach.

It's a shame greed spoils a promising game.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Sep 15 2008, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Sep 15 2008, 10:32 AM) *
Overhyped.
The evolution thing I was expecting has been reduced and how you design your creature have no impact now. It's purely cosmetic.
From my expectations this game was dissapointing. The space phase might still be fun if you put some time into it, I'm not sure yet if I will though.

You can install the game three times then you have to call EA and convince them you have a legit reason for needing more installs. No guarantee you will get more. You register an account to play online.

You can only have one player account and that account is tied to your registered install on one computer. That is, you cant play your game, log out and your spouse logs in on her account. Or go to a friend and log in on your account.
This is contradicting the manual wich clearly states "You may have multiple Spore accounts for each installation of the game." EA blames this to a "misprint" in the manual. To me this is a contract breach.

I've heard alot about this stuff and I'm with you. It really is a shame. I can understand that in these times of piracy, protection is needed, but to do it the way they (EA) have. is a disaster.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 15 2008, 05:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Overhyped.

I played the game at my friends some more..Well its fun , but not to its full potential...I find the evolution thing like building up skill (strength , combat impact etc) but it could have been more detailed..

So this thing with secuROM , it means that you can install the game three times and than you can't ? What happens if you need to delete the game on the same computer and install it later on ? Do you have only 3 times ? How do they detect such thing...Its really bothering sad.gif Especially if you have more computers in a same house smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Sep 15 2008, 06:00 PM
Overhyped.

There's a lot of things that the software-producers do today to prevent piracy, but in my opinion it will probably just make people go over to downloading the software illegally. Look at DVD's for example, if you buy it in one part of the world, you won't be able to play it on a player in different parts. It just gives you benefits to download it if you think about it. Still, I'm going to stick to buying CD's, at least until they start having security codes and all that on them too...

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Sep 16 2008, 01:17 PM
Instructor
It's sad that they over-hyped it so much, 'cause now it won't live up to the expectations so easily, no matter who great the game is. Of course people will be disappointed if the game is being hyped for years as the "GREATEST GAME EVAH!-blaa blaa blaa, and then when it comes out, it's great but it doesn't blow peoples minds.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 16 2008, 03:01 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 15 2008, 06:53 PM) *
I played the game at my friends some more..Well its fun , but not to its full potential...I find the evolution thing like building up skill (strength , combat impact etc) but it could have been more detailed..

So this thing with secuROM , it means that you can install the game three times and than you can't ? What happens if you need to delete the game on the same computer and install it later on ? Do you have only 3 times ? How do they detect such thing...Its really bothering sad.gif Especially if you have more computers in a same house smile.gif

Yes sure. The game itself is as fun as any game. It just doesn't live up to what I expected it to be. It's just like any other game. Nothing new.

Yes, that's what it means.
It ties your DVD key to your registration. Just like Windows it calculates a checksum based on your computer configuration and ties that checksum to your registration and validates your DVD key and checksum online.
That means that if you have two computers at home you want the game installed on and maybe a laptop to bring with you, or you spend some time somewhere else and want to install the game you quickly use up all your installations. There is no "unregister" functions. You can't uninstall the game and get an installation back. If wrong part of the computer crashes, one with enough significance in the calculation, or if you replace your computer, you need one more install.

I don't know what happens if you block SecuROM from internet access or if you play offline. I think it have to validate every 10th day or the game will not start.

You are also depending on EA's niceness to keep the validation servers running. Will they do that in 3 years? 5 years?

Ironically pirated copies don't suffer from this and was leaked four days before launch.
This upsets me of several reasons.
We have bought every single release and addon for Sims and Sims 2, my wife loves them. I bought Black & White and I loved it. I bought Black & White 2 which came with SecuROM. Surprise surprise. SecuROM was uncompatible with my CD/DVD drives so B&W2 never ran on my comp. I had a loong mail conversation with EA and Lionhead, giving detailed information from logging and debugging, pinpointing exactly what was causing the problem. All I got was "Upgrade your soundcards driver, upgrade your video driver" and so on. Even though my logs clearly showed there was no way to upgrade anything more because there didn't exist any later versions of anything. The final answer politly told me to buy new hardware (because may playrig extreme didn't cut it?) and I politly told them do do something else. Now I have a B&W2 that I've never played. Then I decided to never again buy another EA game (my wife has her own will and still buy Sims stuff). I made an exception now because I really was looking forward to Spore and end up with this.

Correction: Maybe "activation" is better wording than "installation".

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/15418.cfm
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/15407.cfm

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
AnyJimmy
Sep 16 2008, 03:09 PM
Completely overhyped. The only option that really matters creaturewise is the choice of Carnivore/veggie. Everything else is only funny once. And the part in space is actually quite lame imo..

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 16 2008, 04:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
I agree, it was totaly overhyped. I can't understand why it took them xx amount of years to finish it...

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 19 2008, 07:54 AM
An update on this. EA feels the pressure (but they are still unlucky when thinking and can't get it right).
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/09/16/...ne-restriction/

--------------------

Ibanez 2550z

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Sep 19 2008, 11:28 AM
Out of curiosity, I just checked a torrent website. Over 100,000 people are downloading spore right now. I guess this is what EA gets for making the legal version inferior mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 19 2008, 03:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Sep 14 2008, 08:19 PM) *
D'you mean that you didn't enjoy the game? In that case why? Or did you just end up not buying it since your friends didn't like it?

I've got it now, but not installed yet tongue.gif my friends told me it was a bit simple and short, but I can see for myself in a while!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
AJRAD
Sep 19 2008, 04:19 PM
ive got spore... unfortunately when i try to run it, it just gives me a black screen and dies.
that sucks.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 19 2008, 08:32 PM
Well from what iv'e read, it's one of the biggest dissapointments to the video game worlds.. and it made me quite sad because I was looking forward to it..

From what I read, you will spend most of you'r time going around eating other creatures...... and that's preety much the biggest part of the game tongue.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:19 AM