Writing Metal
BM
Jan 9 2008, 07:13 PM
GMC:er
Hey I was wondering,
I am writing songs for an album. My style is based off of Megadeth (Dave Mustaine overall) and I have 2 down. My question is, do I write the riff and then fit the lyrics into it or should I fit the riff into the lyrics? It is easier to do the later but I always find that they seem to all sound alike.

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jan 9 2008, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Interesting question!
I think creating chords over the lyrics gives more melodie, but is more difficult than creating the chords first. Probaly both ways are fine..

Edit : Sorry Pavel for commenting first

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mark.: Jan 10 2008, 03:15 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 9 2008, 10:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BM @ Jan 9 2008, 07:13 PM) *
Hey I was wondering,
I am writing songs for an album. My style is based off of Megadeth (Dave Mustaine overall) and I have 2 down. My question is, do I write the riff and then fit the lyrics into it or should I fit the riff into the lyrics? It is easier to do the later but I always find that they seem to all sound alike.

thanks

There is no rule for that. When i was in a band we were usually first writing music and lyrics came afterwards. Sometimes we did the other way around.

Can't help you with making stuff "same" - it depends on your imagination - i can just advise you not to follow the metal genre that strictly, that way you can put some other style riff in and it will sound totally killer smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:45 AM