Diatonics In A Harmonic Minor
enlo22
May 26 2014, 03:07 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
So lately i've been trying to expand my musical knowledge passed the basics and I understand the concept of intervals,minor, majors .. but I'm stuck on the A harmonic minor. It says that the first chord is A minor, but the extended triads are Aminmaj7 ... i don't understand that at all.. i know what 7ths are, but how would it be A minor with a major 7??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2014, 04:41 AM
Instructor
Hi Enlo! Great to know that you are dedicating time to understand the concepts behind harmony. In the case of Harmonic minor, you are right, the root chord that you get harmonizing the root is a minor chord with the major 7th. This is a very uncommon chord but it's the chord that you have to use if you want to play a 4 notes chord in a harmonic minor context.

Check out this lesson about harmonizing harmonic minor scale: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-melodic-minor/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: May 26 2014, 04:41 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2014, 08:00 AM
Instructor
Gabriel's post will help a lot in learning about the theory behind the mode smile.gif I will add another important thing - pay attention to the notes in the mode:

1 2 b3 4 5 b6 7

and the notes which form the minorM7

1 b3 5 7

Do you see the notes which are common? smile.gif The chord is built by using the important notes in the mode!

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 26 2014, 08:49 AM
GMC:er
It's not that uncommon. It's the second chord in 'Stairway To Heaven' wink.gif and the ending chord of the James Bond theme.
minor/Major 7th chords happen a lot but 'usually' within what's called a harmonic cliche.
Example: Am - Am/M7 - Am6 - Am7

+Quote Post
enlo22
May 26 2014, 07:15 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ May 26 2014, 07:49 AM) *
It's not that uncommon. It's the second chord in 'Stairway To Heaven' wink.gif and the ending chord of the James Bond theme.
minor/Major 7th chords happen a lot but 'usually' within what's called a harmonic cliche.
Example: Am - Am/M7 - Am6 - Am7

thank you guys it makes more sense now! i guess you just have to find a good place to use it smile.gif
I actually watched this and was wondering if anyone knew what was going on! i thought it was awesome but my brain didn't understand it at all!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJJATb9Xf0

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 27 2014, 08:23 AM
Instructor
If you want to sort it out, I suggest you find some means to slow it down and then sort it out by ear smile.gif It will provide excellent ear training and then, once you have it nailed, you can analyze it and see what structures, scales and harmonies they are using.

This is usually what I do when I want to learn and understand something. It's hard to say what's what at this speed, indeed.

Have you tried this approach?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 27 2014, 08:23 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:24 AM