4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Really Down...need Some Advice
Andrew Smith
Oct 2 2007, 01:48 PM
GMC:er
I've been told that I would never become a producer (I gave up on becoming a pro guitarist..... I don't have the patience enough to practice everything I need to. I just love to play...not practice. I could still become a pro one day but it is very unlikely....besides that I hate being in front of a lot of people) When I said I want to go into production everyone told me I had a snowballs chance in hell. I set out to prove them wrong and I will be attending production school in the next year or so. I said screw it I have a dream and I have to follow it. I always thought that if I didn't at least try to live my dreams then what would happen when I am 65. Would I look back and say "I wish & wonder" instead of "I tried my best and it wasn't for me." Or better yet "I am a record producer, or guitarist, or bassist or whatever so up yours!!!" You just have to learn to forget what they said. Do what you want. If you want to become a guitarist bad enough it will happen. Shove it down their faces, and show them....hell maybe we can work together one day. And never forget the words of Eric Cartman.... "Follow your dreams. You can achieve your goals. Beefcake....BEEFCAKE!!!!"

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Andrew Smith

http://www.myspace.com/batbag12
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=batbag12

My Stuff

Electric Guitars: White Brian May Model Red Special, Custom Made RS Guitars Red Special, Dillion Red Special, Special Edition Brian May Gold Red Special (#36 of 50), Fender SRV Stratocaster, Homemade Frankenstrat out of Stagg parts, Washburn Delta King, Custom Painted Ibanez SG type thing, Greg Bennett Les Paul, Squire Stratocaster, Johnson Stratocaster.
Acoustics: Black Greg Bennett, Crappy Johnson that I love (First Guitar), Rogue Acoustic for slide guitar
Effects: Brian May Digitech, Hendrix Digitech, BBE Freq Boost (Treble Boost), Digitech Bad Monkey (Tube Screamer), Digitech Metal Master, Danelectro Chicken Salad (Univibe), Electroharmoix Double Muff, Digitech Rp50, Weeping Demon Wah
Amps: Fender Deluxe 40 Watt Special Edition, Vox AD30VT, Fender Champion 600 5 Watt Tube Amp, Crappy Johnson, and Squire amp. Vox VBM1 (Brian May Deacy), and I am looking into getting an AC30
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 2 2007, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Smith @ Oct 2 2007, 12:48 PM) *
I've been told that I would never become a producer (I gave up on becoming a pro guitarist..... I don't have the patience enough to practice everything I need to. I just love to play...not practice. I could still become a pro one day but it is very unlikely....besides that I hate being in front of a lot of people) When I said I want to go into production everyone told me I had a snowballs chance in hell. I set out to prove them wrong and I will be attending production school in the next year or so. I said screw it I have a dream and I have to follow it. I always thought that if I didn't at least try to live my dreams then what would happen when I am 65. Would I look back and say "I wish & wonder" instead of "I tried my best and it wasn't for me." Or better yet "I am a record producer, or guitarist, or bassist or whatever so up yours!!!" You just have to learn to forget what they said. Do what you want. If you want to become a guitarist bad enough it will happen. Shove it down their faces, and show them....hell maybe we can work together one day. And never forget the words of Eric Cartman.... "Follow your dreams. You can achieve your goals. Beefcake....BEEFCAKE!!!!"

Well said! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Melvyn
Jan 29 2008, 03:04 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 2 2007, 06:19 AM) *
Michael Romeo started at 14 with acoustic guitar

He also played Bassoon wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 29 2008, 03:22 PM
are you kidding? Just listen to how many terrible bands are out there, of course you can make it! Look at Kurt Cobain, he was an absolutely abysmal guitarist and is possibly one of the most renowned. I mean you might have to make some sacrifices. You're not going to make great cash from the word "Go", but it's definitely doable. Listen to Lemmy from Motorhead or Willie Adler and Mark Moton from Lamb of God, they both used to live in their bands using their amps as pillows.

You can do it, just practice like crazy and practice hard. If you don't already listen to recordings of yourself playing, you might start doing that, I just started that yesterday and I realized just how sloppy some of the stuff I "mastered" is, so I hit it with renewed enthusiasm and really attempt mastery.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
JWBauer
Jan 29 2008, 04:14 PM
You are never to old to start. It just takes determination and a lot of practice. Everyone here has posted such great comments and I am glad that this thread was started. I believe that it should serve as an inspiration for all of us.

I too gave up my dreams of having a music career because my parents told me what a waste of time it would be. I tried to go to school but it just didn't feel right. I joined the military and served for nine years and it didn't feel right. I have held several different jobs in the past few yearsand they all just barely paid the bills but I was semi-happy because my wife and two children were taken care of. Now, at the age of 44, my children are going off on their own and my wife is encouraging me to pursue my goals. She purhased me my first electric guitar, a decent amp for practice, and some of the basic things needed for getting started in the 'business'. We really didn't have the money and now we are living in a cheesy motel but I am pursuing my dream.

A part of the dream is to open a little restaurant/roadhose with my wife's mother and sisters with a little band stand so that newbands that are just starting out can have a little place to try out their skills. This will also give me an opportunity to perform once in a while, on a stage, in front of a live audience.

Since I have joined GMC, I have relly been motivated on the guitar and everytime I hear a nice lick on the radio I get excited. Use this community to learn and try out and perfect "your style". Join in on some collaborations and hear what people have to say about your music to make you stronger. Stay away from those negative ninnies. You can do it. Believe in yourself and practice. We are all behind you here at GMC because I believe we all share your dream.

--------------------
Ibanez AS73-TCR, Esteban American Legacy Starlight Limited Edition,
Esteban Granada Classical, Esteban Midnight Steel Limited Edition
Line 6 Spider III 15w

Buy AS73 at Musiciansfriend.com

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 29 2008, 05:35 PM
I'm so happy that we have threads like this; It makes me get so motivated about practicing. I don't want to live my life in a cubicle, that's for sure. Music is the ONLY thing that interests me. smile.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Jan 29 2008, 05:38 PM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 29 2008, 08:14 PM
Singing Instructor
17.....you have nothing to wory about...it comes down to this:parcitse,love for music,practise....

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Melvyn
Jan 29 2008, 08:53 PM
Im 17, and my parents thought music was such a waste of time they forced me to take Maths and Physics in college (Fortunately, im not that bad at either) but i still took Music and Music Technology wink.gif

Dont worry about other people getting you down, the best thing to do when that happens is to pick up your guitar and show them wrong

Dont start bassoon wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Duncan
Jan 29 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah criticism like that is useless and people who give it are uneducated and ill informed. I've been playing guitar for about 3/4 years now, and when I lived at home I never got one good word out of my mother. It was always 'what's that racket' or something similar. The only person I ever got encouragement off was my next door neighbour who was an absolute top bloke. Even played with Clapton back in the day.

The fact is you know if you are playing something right, therefore you know if you are doing well. If anyone who doesn't play guitar gives you any non-constructive criticism, ignore it, because chances are they don't know what they are talking about.

+Quote Post
sam47
Jan 31 2008, 03:05 AM
Hey Guitarman700, I'm 47 ,started playing about 4 yrs ago. With regularity about 2yrs ago. EVERYONE thinks I'm wasting my time! ( except the folks here!). I've been practicing some Tom Petty tunes the last two weeks and though they're not anything greatly technical they are fun to play and that's what I'm doing this for. Because it's fun and when people have heard me play something ,even though it's not perfect, the look on their face is pricelsss! I love it whan they say ,"Damn Sam!"

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:41 PM