Question About Picking Arpeggios
edguy
Mar 12 2012, 11:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Ben,

i want to ask you a question about your Picking Arpeggios lesson here at gmc. I renewed my subscription last week and slowly start playing guitar again after my shoulder surgery.

That said i choosen two lessons from you: Picking Hand Basics to get my right hand in shape and the Picking arpegios lesson to train my left hand to make it strong again smile.gif

And here comes the problem:

Playing bar chords or chords where i have to stretch my fingers were always a problem for me. And now after the break it's even harder.

I try to play the first chord of your picking appregios lesson and can't produce enough power that all the strings ring out clearly. Often the A note on the D string sound dead because my pinky slides away from the fret. I play this lesson on my acoustic guitar because the action of strings is very high there and when i can play the lesson on that guitar i'm able to play it on any other guitar smile.gif

And here comes the question: How can I practice these chord shapes without clenching/cramping my left hand? Because that's what happens all the time.

Thanks for your time and help,

Roman

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by edguy: Mar 12 2012, 11:16 PM

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edguy
Mar 13 2012, 09:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Ben,

I started the chord shape practicing right away. At first I did the warm up of my hands with out the guitar (stretching etc. included). Then I played some basic chord shapes G; E, C, D Am etc.

After that I played the first chord from your arpeggio video lesson (3 sets of repetitions in total). I had to use my electric guitar for practicing because my acoustic guitar is not at my home at the moment. So today I experienced that practicing the first chord shape from your lesson was easier for me than yesterday.

I will not do additional guitar practicing today because I feel some pain in my shoulder caused by physical exercises I have to do at the moment to get my shoulder in shape again.

I plan to start the next chord shape practicing session tomorrow.

Cheers,

Roman

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 14 2012, 11:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Mar 13 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Hey Ben,

I started the chord shape practicing right away. At first I did the warm up of my hands with out the guitar (stretching etc. included). Then I played some basic chord shapes G; E, C, D Am etc.

After that I played the first chord from your arpeggio video lesson (3 sets of repetitions in total). I had to use my electric guitar for practicing because my acoustic guitar is not at my home at the moment. So today I experienced that practicing the first chord shape from your lesson was easier for me than yesterday.

I will not do additional guitar practicing today because I feel some pain in my shoulder caused by physical exercises I have to do at the moment to get my shoulder in shape again.

I plan to start the next chord shape practicing session tomorrow.

Cheers,

Roman

Hey Roman,

Cool, sounds good. It's always better to take it easy when you've had a long time off of an activity. As long as you keep listening to your body, you'll know when enough is enough smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:22 PM