4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
2007 Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 02:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Steelkonsum @ Jan 21 2007, 12:25 AM) *
We are all talentless - Kris has taught us that.

I think you understood him wrong!

Kris DIDN'T say we are all talentless - he just said that even if you have no talent you can achieve great playing. But the killing combination is when someone is talented and is practicing the whole day.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 21 2007, 02:46 AM
GMC:er
Check out the custom scallop guitar projects from this site. Here is an example making a "Duck" replica of Yngwie's Play Loud strat:

http://www.randyciak.com/guitar/dean/index_theduck2.htm

Dean from there does good neck scallop jobs. Contact him if you are interested.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Webpage:
- http://www.myspace.com/yngwie100
Equipment:
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks
- Roland Cube-20X modeling amp
- Boss FS-6 Dual Footswitch
- DOD YJM308 Overdrive (optional)
- Boss DS-1 Distortion (optional)
- Marshall MG15CD amp (spare)

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 02:55 AM
Yngwie is a great player, don't get me twisted, but his music seriously lacks emotion. I've got all his albums, including bootlegs and demo tapes, The only good songs I've heard all in all are:

Trilogy Suite Opus. 5 and We'll light up the sky (which is a cover)

Compared to players such as Michael Romeo, Who more or less play the exact same way, he's lost on terms of emotion.

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Jan 21 2007, 03:05 AM
Be that as it may he still is one of the most talented guitarists in the world.

Hey Ikaros do you know how much the Yngwie strat wil cost? And what is the advantage of a scalloped fretboard?

This post has been edited by Mark Schiewe: Jan 21 2007, 03:05 AM

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 03:21 AM
QUOTE (Mark Schiewe @ Jan 21 2007, 03:05 AM) *
Be that as it may he still is one of the most talented guitarists in the world.

Hey Ikaros do you know how much the Yngwie strat wil cost? And what is the advantage of a scalloped fretboard?

In terms of skill, yes.

If you haven't been playing for 5+ years and don't have serious control over the fretboard scalloped necks are not for you. It'll make playing fast very difficult, It helps as it gives you more grip over the note

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 21 2007, 03:28 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 02:13 AM) *
I think you understood him wrong!

Kris DIDN'T say we are all talentless - he just said that even if you have no talent you can achieve great playing. But the killing combination is when someone is talented and is practicing the whole day.

Actually Im quite sure he said that he believed there was no such thing as natural talent wink.gif

Could be wrong though.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 03:53 AM
Instructor
Oh yes there is a natural talent - but it still doesn't help if you don't practice.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 04:02 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 03:53 AM) *
Oh yes there is a natural talent - but it still doesn't help if you don't practice.

Exactly.

If you have talent you'll just learn much quicker than a person who doesn't. Talent exists.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 05:24 AM
GMC Founder
I don't believe talent exists.

And if it does no one can ever objectively determine whether you have it or not. Not me, your mum or your music teacher.

The only thing I can tell when I hear somebody's recording is if I liked it or not. I cannot tell whether I liked it because they have practiced or if it's because they have talent or if it's a combination of both.

Unfortunately no scientific studies of rock n roll have been made yet - I suspect that's why there is an awful amount of bull going around on this topic. That is also why I like to make a stand against the whole talent thing.

Now here is something I do know - I exposed my playing and music to a lot of people in my early practicing stage and did not get any acknowledgement. This wasn't once or twice - there was an obvious trend. Now, I could have chosen to do as many people would have - acknowledge defeat... ("I don't have sense of timing, musicality...talent!)

But I didn't - that's when the fun begun. I told myself s**w them - they are speaking about talent as an excuse to why they never got anywhere, I won't let that happen to me. I sat down and practiced and now I make a living of my playing - thanks to motivation not talent (I will never know if I had any - but if I had listened to what others said, I wouldn't be were I am today and surely would have thought of myself as talentless.)

Now recently I have got to hear "Sure kristofer you can play guitar - that's your talent" - (where were these people 10 years ago??!!) - "but don't think you can write and sing songs"!! Ok so there are still a lot of ignorant people to convince. At the age of 23 I could barely sing a note in pitch - but is that going to stop me?

Recently I have practiced singing and songwriting - you will find my most recent attempt here. I can tell you that tune alone has been enough to prove my point to some people. However I intend to take this very much further and keep developing my singing and songwriting through new strategies. I like to use my brain and not my "talent".

...talent, an extremely miss-used word. How about we throw it in the bin and substitute it with the following ( English grammar experts please fill me out here):

motivation, starting-early, early-positive-stimulation

Now if you lack the the "early" parts no worries - that's why we have gmc. smile.gif

--Kris

PS Awesome discussions we got going on! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 21 2007, 05:58 AM
.....And that Gentlemen, Has to be the most motivational post ever !!
It could enable to some people to be described as talented in the future.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 06:14 AM
Kris I think you're wrong there. People like Shawn Lane had natural talent at learning guitar. You can't have playing talent. Just like artists such as Leonardo Da Vinci painted paintings you'll never be able to paint, musicians who have talent have made music you cannot and that's the way it goes. You're limited to talent as soon as you're born. It's in your genes.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 06:20 AM
Instructor
OK - so what about classical composers like Mozart, Beethoven and all the other geniuses? I am not sure you are able to compose something like them with just sitting and practicing the instrument! In fact i am sure they were not able to play all of the classical instruments but they composed awesome music. That's what i call talent!

I never used lack of talent as an excuse because every single thing i ever wanted to do - i did it! Because if you really want something you'll achieve it. Playing guitar is not a 5-days practice - i would dare to call it a life-work - because there is always some space to improve.

The discussion is great - let's just not start fighting! hehehe

QUOTE (Why @ Jan 21 2007, 06:14 AM) *
Kris I think you're wrong there. People like Shawn Lane had natural talent at learning guitar. You can't have playing talent. Just like artists such as Leonardo Da Vinci painted paintings you'll never be able to paint, musicians who have talent have made music you cannot and that's the way it goes. You're limited to talent as soon as you're born. It's in your genes.

Are we reading each other's mind???

Writing same thing at the same time!! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 06:22 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 06:19 AM) *
OK - so what about classical composers like Mozart, Beethoven and all the other geniuses? I am not sure you are able to compose something like them with just sitting and practicing the instrument! In fact i am sure they were not able to play all of the classical instruments but they composed awesome music. That's what i call talent!

I never used lack of talent as an excuse because every single thing i ever wanted to do - i did it! Because if you really want something you'll achieve it. Playing guitar is not a 5-days practice - i would dare to call it a life-work - because there is always some space to improve.

The discussion is great - let's just not start fighting! hehehe

Exactly my friend. That's what I said in my last post. So many neoclassical artists literally steal pieces of music from Mozart, Bach and 'Thoven. Eugene's trick bag by Vai is almost an identical copy of Paginini's 5th Caprice

I've been playing properly for 2 years, most people think I've played all my life. I won't say I've got natural talent, but I'll say I have some talent at learning guitar. Leornado Da Vinci painted paintings which people have been trying to emulate for hundreds of years, but can't. That's natural talent. So yes, talent exists.

This post has been edited by Why: Jan 21 2007, 06:23 AM

+Quote Post
Esox Lucius
Jan 21 2007, 06:29 AM
I heard Yngwie play at Sweden Rock Festival 2005, I was not that impressed by his traditional playing, cause I knew what to be expected... But one of his final 3 songs was a blues where he sang and played solo (in his way of course) I was totally blowed away!! Man that is what I call feeling, doesn't matter that he shreds in every solo, the man got feeling!

--------------------
Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution :)

Keep on rockin' in the free world!!!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 21 2007, 06:41 AM
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Jan 21 2007, 05:58 AM) *
.....And that Gentlemen, Has to be the most motivational post ever !!
It could enable to some people to be described as talented in the future.

Agreed!!!

Definately a cool guitar. But I have a problem with strat style guitars, I have one(more of a soloist style) and it's awesome, but the shape doesn't really fit my body as well as I would like. I'd love to try one though!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 07:46 AM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Jan 21 2007, 06:41 AM) *
Agreed!!!

Definately a cool guitar. But I have a problem with strat style guitars, I have one(more of a soloist style) and it's awesome, but the shape doesn't really fit my body as well as I would like. I'd love to try one though!

Think like that and you'll never make a masterpiece!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 21 2007, 08:50 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 06:20 AM) *

You're right there, Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach created great music with thier extremely high level of creative talent. I thought this discussion was about if playing talent existed(maybe I should actually read all the posts rolleyes.gif ), witch I think it doesn't, as in I don't think some people can just pick up the instrument very quickly and play with great technique, I think you have to work for your chops.
But I agree that some people learn certain things very easily, and that could be called learning talent. And I agree that great musicians have a natural talent for making amazing, original music that most people don't have, there is no doubt about that. But this should not stop aspiring musicians from working for thier goals, people can work on improving thier songwriting skills, while their music may not end up being as innovative, or beautiful as great classical composers, they can work thier way to a level of songwriting that makes them happy.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 09:12 AM
That's why I bold learning talent in all my posts. Some people can play instruments without playing them ever before aswell, Natural talent exists too. Read about Savants. Beethoven was a Savant.

+Quote Post
Matt
Jan 21 2007, 03:27 PM
Some people pick things up quicker than others, but that is hardly a factor at all. The way people practice and the thought process behind their practicing is a much bigger factor as to how fast someone learns.

people dont have a certain gene that lets their fingers more quicker and more accuratlely than others

its how you practice getting ur fingers to move more acurately and fast is what counts

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 06:18 PM
GMC Founder
This sure is an interesting topic. smile.gif Also, for some reason Mozart and Bach are always brought up when speaking about this. I prefer Allan Holdsworth a lot more than those two but I guess that has nothing to do with the discussion.

Here is my answer - forget my last post - here is the story of my life:

At the age of seven my music teacher discovered I had perfect pitch.

At the age of nine my dad bought me my first guitar, without ever practicing - i got to be an incredible player in no time. Everybody realised how talented I was/am.

Today I never practice - I was born with the gift - I wake up everyday and come up with innovative stuff [in my sleep].

You can't touch me - I am unique.

Do you believe this? I don't. Oh and by the way mr Holdsworth (just like Mozart) got the finest education possible, through a fantastic musician - his dad. Talent? Motivation? Inspiration? Started early? Musical genes?

If it wasn't for the fact that my job is to learn other be their best at guitar - I sure wouldn't tell the truth. If my job was to write and record multi-million-dollars albums I sure would go for the "you can't touch me" attitude.

Luckily it isn't. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:27 AM